“Nice stay but bit pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Wallaby Motel
88-92 Crawford Street, Queanbeyan, New South Wales 2620, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Queanbeyan
London
“Nice stay but bit pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011 via mobile

We stopped over just for one night and had trouble finding a place to stay in and around Canberra as it was really busy. Enjoyed the short stay, rooms were clean and beds comfy. As most of the motels it looked a bit dated but had new TV, microwave and coffee/tea facilities. A nice surprise were the toiletries which I really liked - herbal shampoo and oatmeal sopa - and cookies were a nice touch with the coffee. Price was a bit high but as I said it seemed very busy everywhere. You could order breakfast and they also had a restaurant but didn't bother to use it. Lots of shopping and dining options in walking distance and Canberra is a 15 mins drive.

• Stayed March 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

I have stayed at the Wallaby a few times this month on business. The Motel is a pleasant surprise, being well situated to both Canberra and the Queanbeyan CBD. The staff are very attentive and friendly and will go out of their way to help you unlike most other places in this price category.
The room I had was nice particularly the bathroom - I like the large walk in shower which is great to soak up the day's troubles. The hotel has wireless internet but they also provide a LAN cable for better speeds.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

I stayed here a month previously and made a point of coming back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

The owner (Vincent) was a breath of fresh air after a nine hour trip in the car. I checked in late and he made sure I had a meal sent to the room and breakfast organised for the morning. Most motels just leave a key some where for a late arrival and you are on your own.
Rooms were clean and comfortable, not to mention quiet. One thing for the business traveller is access to internet, in the case it was free and fast with a choice of wireless or ethernet connection.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
wallabymotel, Owner at Wallaby Motel, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
Thank you for your feedback in recognizing our services. We are looking forward to serve you again. FYI all our Deluxe rooms are recently fitted with new 32 inches Phillips LCD TV Full HDTV. Blu-Ray players will be soon installed in the room to accompany the LCD TV.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

I stayed in Queabeyan for 6 nights, 4 of those were at the Wallaby Hotel. Accommodation in Queanbeyan was tight and I had trouble booking a room for the whole of my stay. As this trip wasn't planned, I had to make last minute bookings and therefore was not able to stay at my usual places.

The Wallaby Hotel is clean and comfortable and easy walking distance to Woolworths and the bus stop into Canberrra. I arrived before the official checkin time and the staff were friendly/helpful and allowed me to store my bags while I went off to shop. I could have waited about 15 minutes and the room would have been ready but I was in no hurry, but this offer to accelerate my checking in was appreciated. Often motels make you wait until the official time. The owners were helpful with IT matters and it was great to have free wireless broadband. This fact alone would make me come back as I usually have to mix business with family stuff. The Motel is like many in NSW, built in a different era and from the outside it looks like it has been on this street for some time, however, rennovations are taking place which will make this Motel a great place to stay and value for money. While I was staying, new LCD high definition TV's were being installed (the picture quality and reception werre amazing) and bathrooms were being made over.
Cheers

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

We were disappointed when we walked in but needed the bed. Following an early night we were awoken by an invasion of our unit at about 11 pm. It was actually water hammer, and it awoke us again about 6 am. Seriously, it was so loud it sounded like someone was trying to bash down a wall.

The shower stall had not seen any cleaning material in many moons. The grout in the wet area was starkly different to the dry area. We attribute this shower to a case of tinea.

A small pack of ice creams we put in the refrigerator had melted by morning. The refrigerator badly needed defrosting.

At $140 for the "deluxe" room it was our poorest value in two weeks of travelling.
We then went to the Olympia, just down the road. At $105 it was good value and we could smell the cleaning materials!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
wallabymotel, Owner at Wallaby Motel, responded to this review, November 7, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. We admited there was water hammering in one of the room as the result of shower head replacement. Most of the new shower head has water limitation of 9L/min. This water limitation has some problem with our water pressure. The problem had been identified and fixed. Thank you very much.
The shower stall story was not true. Our bathrooms have just been regrouted. Its possible that one could see the difference in old and new grout in wet and dry area.
The ice cream should be placed in the freezer compartment. All our bar fridges are newly replaced. Please show us the melted icecream we will happy to compensate you.
As for the price, if you want to save money make your booking as early as possile not the last minutes. FYI, we are the cheapest Motel in Town.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

Although I thought that the $160 per night was already a bit steep for an old motel in Queanbeyan. To make matters worse I was charged an extra $20 ($180 total) for late check in (after 7.30pm) 'which I was supposed to see in the fine print'. If this wasn't bad enough, the real shock was the room was nowhere near worth what I had paid! In fact it was totally run down, grotty and smelly. The only positive I can think of, is that we only had to stay one night; In fact we couldnt wait to get out in the morning... These rooms are worth $100 per night at best... The owner suggest these rooms have been renovated. 'They haven't'! Dont stay here if you can avoid it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
wallabymotel, Manager at Wallaby Motel, responded to this review, October 17, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. First of all, none of our double rooms is $160/n unless you were booking for the family room in the last minute. Secondly, the $20 surcharge for late check-in is a condition for booking that was not a prepaid booking, otherwise room key can be pre-arranged via SMS. We do not apply this surcharge unless you were checked-in after 9:30PM and did not inform us of your late check-in. Your description of our room condition are not truth. Does the "totally run down, grotty and smelly" room has new split air-cond, new bar fridge, new carpet, new microwave and cutleries, wall was freshly painted, new beds and new lounge suite ?. If you found room was not in the condition that we had described, we are prepared to refund you the money.

Been to Wallaby Motel? Share your experiences!