“Fine Dining with flair” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Stunned Mullet

The Stunned Mullet
12 William Street | Opposite Town Beach, Port Macquarie, New South Wales 2444, Australia
02 6584 7757
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Wentworth Falls, Australia
“Fine Dining with flair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This was my first time and my wife's second. We both enjoyed our meals immensely thanks to the knowledgable and professional wait staff who made some excellent recommendations. I ahd the Crispy King Prawns and my wife the Pork Belly and Scallops. Both were delicious and while Pork Belly and Scallops seems to be a common dish now days there was nothing common about the flavours here. For mains I had the Patagonian Toothfish in an Asian salad and broth and my wife the Confit of Duck. Both were delicious. It was my first time trying toothfish and it was with the thanks to our waiters recommendation. The texture is a cross between crab and scallops and was deliciously buttery. Overall an excellent meal and experience. My only criticism was that when my wife ordered a second glass of the sparkling chardonnay during her main, it didn't arrive until well after we had finished.

Visited July 2014
THESTUNNEDMULLE... P, Owner at The Stunned Mullet, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thanks Mark R for your considered review. We apologise that the delayed wine marred an otherwise excellent meal and experience for you. We do appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again.

“Amazing taste sensation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten at many of Sydney's best restaurants over the years such as Tetsuya's, Sepia, Rockpool, Quay, Catalinas, Longrain, Aria etc etc. The meal I recently enjoyed here was spectacular and certainly in this league. I had the spanner crab entrée and tooth fish main. Both were done to perfection. The service was good and the overall mood lighting was a nice touch (except for the cheap fake candle lighting, but no biggy).

Like most places order well and you will be rewarded.

Definitely recommend it.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
THESTUNNEDMULLE... P, Owner at The Stunned Mullet, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thanks for recommending us barts110, and ranking us with Sydney’s best. We are delighted you enjoyed your visit to The Stunned Mullet.
Sydney, Australia
“Sydney Melbourne standard in regional town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We arrived on time at 6:15PM on a Saturday. We were greeted at the door (by the owner?), then sat, given menu. We asked for time to decide on drink, so waitperson left us. I kept watch, and I did notice that the wait staff were always paying attention / watching us, so they could take order when we were.

We ordered pork belly and scallops, baby pea and tofu, as starter. My pork belly was soft, scallops were just a little over half cooked. Taste of truffle mousse was balance.

Ordered tooth fish and vegetarian as main. I was told the vegetarian was good. Timing of the fish was very well.

I had dessert "PassionFruit Curd Tart coconut lime yoghurt, raspberry sorbet, pop rocks, compressed pineapple". The pineapple was impressive, yoghurt was not too sour (I normally hate yoghurt). However, everything was citrus, so my mouth was quite sour towards the end, that I nearly did not finish my dessert.

We tried to leave just after 8:30PM, and a lot of people already left. This is the only occasion where service seem to have dropped. Staffs seem to be busy with paperwork and preparation, it actually took us a while to flag someone to ask for our bill.

This place is slightly more expensive, but then a restaurant of similar standard would cost the same in Sydney or Melbourne. Service was efficient until the end when it dropped, this would be my only complain. And the dessert, need something else to balance it.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This restaurant had just received a hat and was claimed as one of tne of the best in Port Macquarie but I wouldn't waste your money. The place was cramped and noisy and no ambience for a romantic meal. The waiters were pleasant but not overly skilled. Wine spilt on the table never cleaned, napkins not placed on laps and had to line up to pay the bill.
The tables were white plastic with disposable napkins, similar to a club or cafe. Apart from the lack of fine dining appointments, the food was the biggest let down. The bread was served with a variety of oils that lacked flavour. The mains, particularly the sirloin was a basic, meat, potatoes and beans. No sauce and meals served cold. The meals were ok but not worth a $39 price. Similar to a steak in most clubs or cafes which you can get at half the price.
Desert was nice and a good way to end but wouldn't be in a rush to part with my money here again. Will leave the special dining to sydney and Melbourne who know how to impress with $40 plus meals.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Bland food, tiny portions, wine 125% markup and awkward atmosphere.
I have no problem paying top $$ for fine dining, unfortunately this was not the case. Will not reccomend, waste of money.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere