“A Great Regional Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Port Macquarie

You added Rydges Port Macquarie to your Saves list
Rydges Port Macquarie
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Hay St, Port Macquarie, New South Wales 2444, Australia   |
Ranked #24 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Central Coast
“A Great Regional Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

2 types of rooms at this hotel...the suites and king balcony rooms are owned by Rydges and have water views, the studio apartments are privately owned and have designated parking spaces. Have stayed in both types...all v clean, cheery with great beds. Service at the front counter was efficient and friendly and a noise problem from fellow guests was dealt with swiftly by the night manager. Restaurant service and food was excellent, if you are a Privilege Club member you get 20% off bill. Daytime the rooms over the pool can be noisy and the ones at the back are subject to bin emptying noise from pub next door. There is a slight problem with doors being slammed, however we would definitely return and also try other hotels in the chain.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Port, General Manager at Rydges Port Macquarie, responded to this review, August 5, 2010
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience from your visit. Great to learn that you were able to take advantage of the Priority Guest Membership and gain the food and beverage discounts. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Rydges Port Macquarie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Haslemere
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

This hotel has a great location and is the only 'chain' hotel. Our room was as we expected for an average 'chain' hotel, however the price was higher than we have paid for this hotel elsewhere and attempts were made to charge us for trivial things e.g. to print an airline boarding pass (1 piece of paper!) was subject to Aus$10, which seemed petty. Nice pool area to relax which we were able to use after checking out.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Warm Greetings from Port Macquarie. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay. It is disappointing to note that your stay was not up to expectations and I offer my sincere apologies. We value all guests and appreciate your patronage and we will use your comments to improve our service delivery.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

We stayed overnight on 12th Feb 2010. Our room was very comfortable had two Queen beds and had a balcony overlooking the pool and river. The rate paid was premium which included breakfast. The breakfast was not up to standard and can not be recommended, the service and choice was in-different. Reception staff however are very good. It is annoying that Rydges have adopted the practice of surcharging 2 and a half percent if you pay with a credit card. This practice seems to be creeping into some Australian hotels and smacks of unfair trading and a 'rip off'. We have stayed at Rydges on previous trips but will look elsewhere in future as Port Macquarie has some other good accommodation options with no surcharge!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Port, General Manager at Rydges Port Macquarie, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Greetings and many thanks for sharing your experience. We are sorry to read that you were not happy with the breakfast and we will be working hard to improve in this area. Great that the reception staff looked after you. Regarding the CC fee, this can be avoided by paying by eftpos or cash (there is an ATM in the lobby). Thanks again and we hope to see you back again in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

Friendly staff, central location and great views from modern apartments

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Sydney, NSW
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Was irritated after having driven for approx. 7 hours to be told that there was no parking available in the hotel, and to go find a parking spot out on nearby streets. So when we went out for for dinner last night, we had to find a parking spot all over again. And it was a hassle with the rain this morning dragging our luggage down the street, after we had checked out. We had rung ahead 1 hour out of Port Macquarie for the booking but no warning was given that parking would not be available.
We stayed at Rydges last night 6Feb as a stopover. Cost for a town view room with 2 double beds was AUD$165. The best description for the room would be clean and tidy, but grim. Would not recommend staying here if you intend to holiday at Port Macquarie.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Hi There, Sorry to read that you were not happy with the parking situation at the Hotel - unfortunately as we dont actually own the car park, space is at a premium and we try to manage the allocations as best we can, but at times we do run out of parking spaces and it is regrettable that this affected you during your stay.
Despite this, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Sydney, AU
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

Booked a mini-getaway end of Jan (after school holidays).

I was very disappointed with our stay at Rydges Port Macquarie due to the following reasons:

- Inefficient staff member checking us in using the repeated excuse "I just came back from holidays". Unprofessional.

- Being assigned a Double bed + Single bed room. We are a married couple and booked a Queen room.

- Horrible room with noise from boom gate overlooking bottle shop & car park. I had made a request for a nice room with view. I know requests are not always met but I thought an average room as opposed to very bad room would be assigned.

- Locked out of our room/car park on day 2 and being told in front of other guests that they had tried to contact me and this happened BECAUSE I had made 2 bookings. There were no missed calls on my phone in the 3 hours we were out and I did not realise booking an extra night would cause such confusion for their staff. I did outline in my online booking and with their staff on check-in that I had 2 bookings.

I had used their special $95 Summer special tokens to book this getaway. To me I feel that we were given a poor room and service because we had used this 'special'.

I would NEVER stay at Rydges Port Macquarie ever again. There are much nicer and newer places to stay only down the road.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Rydges_Port, General Manager at Rydges Port Macquarie, responded to this review, September 1, 2010
Hi Jacjac

I was disappointed to read of the problems you encountered during your stay and offer my sincere apologies. Please be assured that we will use the comments to improve our service delivery. I realise your reluctance to return to the Hotel, however if you wish to contact me privately, I would be more than happy to personally manage your booking and ensure your stay is enjoyable.

Brisbane, Qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2010

Great location, clean comfortable room. A little pricey for what you get, and I wasn't expecting a surcharge for using a credit card (who doesn't use one nowadays), or for parking my car. Staff were efficient but didn't go out of their way to make my stay really enjoyable. One incident spoiled the service: I went to the pool (which was great, by the way) late in the day, to check it out for the next day, since the time was too late to use it. The manager sent a staff member to check up on me, making me feel like a naughty child. I expect a higher standard of service, and an attitude of service for a hotel of this standard and price.

• Stayed January 2010
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. I was sorry to read of your concerns during your stay, however glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us.

Rydges Port Macquarie

Been to Rydges Port Macquarie? Share your experiences!