“Couldn't have disappointed more” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS HW Boutique Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS HW Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS HW Boutique Hotel
4.0 of 5 Motel   |   1 Stewart Street, Port Macquarie, New South Wales 2444, Australia (Formerly Best Western PLUS HW Boutique Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
LOW RATE, GUARANTEED!
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Port Macquarie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Couldn't have disappointed more”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I chose to have a single night holiday at HW to get away from stress before the busy holiday season hit my job. Didn't work
We had booked a Spa Suite with a Ocean view, and knowing Port expected the view to be spectacular, after arriving discovered that the view could be seen from the top edge of the bed but other than that the entire room consisted of a view of other rooms. I immediately contacted reception who despite the early 3pm check in time for my room informed me that all other spa rooms were already in or had requested the specific rooms they were down for, no doubt, they had better foresight than me.

No trouble we thought, we will persue and enjoy the room, unfortunately the HW still has not put forward the renovations they promised over 12 months ago in a response to another poor review. Our lamps were still rusty, the fan was still dirty and poorly functional, the bed side tables were still completely blown from water and stained badly on the top, the balcony areas are a discrace with dangerously low railings I could easily fall off, the other furnature was poorly maintained and I'm sorry to say even the skirting boards had enought of being part of this outdated property and had separated themselves from the wall.

But still, lets ignor these things and try to enjoy the evening.

My husband and I have very demanding jobs which have us on call 24/7 so when we get the chance to get away we want to have all luxuries at out fingertips which is why the list of ammenities at HW appealled. So I called room service only to be (very honestly no doubt) told that simply because we had booked on the first weekend after school holidays started that room service at night was off. OFF, not limited, just off. I began to portray my dissapointement at not being able to take advantage of a feature of the room I had paid quite handsomely to book but was simply told that most of their clients are business people who do order room service, however during holidays those customers don't come so they don't offer room service during holidays as it isn't profitable for them to do so but she did have some menu's of chinese take out which deliver. WHAT???? I live in Port, if I wanted chinese take out I could have stayed at home and saved myself nearly $200-. I wanted special. I wanted room service as I was promised. I find it interesting that HW clearly state on their website that they have a no cancelations policy during holiday periods but don't anywhere say that one of their main facilties of room service isn't offered at all during this period. You would think in this situation that they would have offered my husband and I a free upgrade to our breakfast for our dissapointment or something?? No, nothing but a paper chinese menu.

To add insult we also attempted to use the 'free wireless broadband' that they offer, don't bother. Unless you are happy to wait hours for single emails to come through it isn't worth it. We ended up leaving our 'one night get-away' to simply go home and check the business emails we didn't want to spend half our night waiting for. Wow, I'm amazed by the magical experience HW provided

The final insult was the minibar prices. We had walked into town for dinner as they couldn't provide room service, a short 3- 5 block walk I will grant you, but upon arriving back discovered that any late night snack we may wish to enjoy while attempting to savour some benefit from our expensive night out would cost us about 2-3 times what it would at a normal store. Great. I loved to be ripped off by the people ripping me off for my room in the first place.

To get to the point, don't bother staying here. I never will again

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Linear5, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS HW Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
The HW Boutique boasts the best views in Port Macquarie - bar none. Unfortunately our spa rooms do not have balconies and some do not have the uninterrupted view that the other rooms enjoy. Our front office staff have now been instructed to explain this to guests. We do, however, have a lounge and breakfast room where guests can enjoy sumptious views! The motel is meticulously maintained and the fittings and fixtures, including marble bathrooms, are of the highest quality. There is wear and tear because of its proximity to the ocean, and we are now embarking on a major refurbishment programme - which we concede was, unfortunately, delayed. The other reviews on this page reflect the general satisfaction with our georgeous, perfectly located motel. We are not a 5 star establishment and cannot offer room service, where only 1 or 2 rooms are likely to avail themselves of that service. We offer room service during the week to service our corporate customers. There are any number of restaurants within walking distance. We obviously cannot appease this particular customer, but reiterate that we have significant repeat business and have much pride in the service and accommodation that we offer. Trevor Morris - Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Aberdonian in Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Originally booked for 1 night but ended up staying a further 2 nights as the hotel completely exceeded our expectations. Situated on one of the highest points in the town this hotel has great ocean views and is only 10 minute walk into the heart of Port Macquarie. Breakfast is not included but there are plenty of options nearby. We stayed in a river view room which was both modern and spotlessly clean. The hotel offers free wifi which is also a bonus. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011
Linear5, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS HW Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Thank you for taking the trouble to write your review. It is particulary pleasing to receive such a positive review. We pride ourselves on the quality of our service and accommodation and are now embarking on a major renovation of the motel. We look forward to welcoming you as one of our repeat customers and hope that we will continue to meet your expectations. Trevor Morris - Director
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Second time at the HW - excellent all round - best location in Port Mac. Great breakfast selection+ clean rooms. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Linear5, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS HW Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We have a dedicated and professional team committed to providing excellent service beyond the norm. Your positive review is much appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back to our stylish boutique motel, which we are currently upgrading and improving yet further. Warm wishes Trevor Morris - Director
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed in the Queen room with spa in December just over the Christmas break. I would say the price was a bit high since the dates we stayed were peak season. We payed $450.00 for 2 nights. But it was worth it.

overall I would say it is an awesome place. Knowing that during the lean season you would be paying less money for really good place. Bed was very comfy (since I have a very weak back, I found the bed really good to sleep in). The toilet was very clean.
The view from our room , and from the bedroom you can't hear any noice from outside. I was also Impressed with their services. On the second day when we got back to our hotel room, the room was so clean and i am very satisfied with their services.

We had a great stay and no problems with the accomodation.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

We stayed at the this hotel in October for one night and it was clean, well apppointed, located close to the centre of town and the price was right. Unusually, these people are extremely friendly, helpful and go over the top to make sure everything is right; they actually like having guests it appears!!! An enjoyable overnight stay and the buffet at the bowls club was exceptional!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
ChristinaMitchell, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS HW Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Thank you so much for you kind comments, we do love our hotel it's such a beautiful spot to work in that we enjoy making our guests stay as memorable as we can. I will look forward to welcoming you back here again in the future.
Englefield Green
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Booked the room on the day from the visitor centre in PM for $120 which included full breakfast. Hotel is on the top of the hill going out of town so its a brisk 5 minute downhill walk to the town or can be accessed via a walk along the harbour and up the slope at the other end.

Staff were very friendly, rooms comfortable with an ocean view even from ground floor and an excellent breakfast from a room which overlooks the entire headland and out to sea. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for you lovely review, we hope to see you back here soon
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

I am writing this review whilst staying at this hotel. I am staying in the Ocean View Superior room with Spa and cannot fault anything at all. I ordered room service a few minutes before cut off time and the chefs gladly turned the stove back on for me and made me the most delicious chicken schnitzel with tomato concasse and yummy chips with Dianne sauce which was bought up to room in around 15 mins. I couldnt have gone out and had such a yummy dinner for any cheaper, thank you HW, I will definately recommend your hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
ChristinaMitchell, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS HW Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Thanks for your great review, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our Room Service menu. Our staff really appreciate the nice comments. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS HW Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!