“Poor service, average food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Oishii (Japanese & Thai)

Oishii (Japanese & Thai)
Ranked #22 of 52 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Cuisines: Japanese, Thai
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Sydney
“Poor service, average food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

As locals, we have enjoyed takeaway from Oishii many times over the years but have not dined in for a long time as the atmosphere was always a bit lacking. We decided to give dining in another try for my daughter's birthday. It was a not a good experience aug all. There were only 4 of us, and we ordered an entree and main each. 2 entrees came out and then it was another 15 minutes before the next 2 arrived (my daughter is vegan so she couldn't even share the entrees that had arrived). Three of the mains then arrived....but no main for my daughter. A full 20 minutes later her main came out. The food was very average - I had satay for entree and it was oily and I suspect the sauce came from a tin. I had teriyaki scallops for main - the scallops had not been cleaned properly with the chewy bit that connects the roe to the scallop still in tact (but no roe - I quite like the roe but if you are going to remove it then do it properly!). The restaurant itself is in a concrete cathedral - very noisy and not a very pleasant atmosphere. If you do go, try to reserve a seat outside, but honestly there are so many better restaurants in Pokolbin why would you bother?

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“poor service!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My partner and I had lunch here during our first getaway to the HV. We wanted to dine at a casual restaurant for lunch while still experiencing the HV standard of service and food. I knew Oishii was located within the prestigious Tempus Two precinct and had high expectations of this restaurant after looking at their website. I was SO wrong!!! We have never had such a bad restaurant experience! The service was so poor and definitely did not expect this from HV.

We arrived, stood at the door, waited at the counter for a waitress to notice us, and after realising that they don’t seem to be acknowledging us, simply walked ourselves into the restaurant and seated ourselves down. We sat there trying to catch the attention of the 3 waitresses for about 10 minutes that kept walking in and out of the restaurant serving people food, and was insulted by the fact that a simple “will be with you in a minute” would have sufficed, but eventually got fed up and had to stop a waitress as she walked past us to ask for a MENU! Seriously, it’s not that hard! Then we had to wait an additional 15 minutes for a waitress to even come to us to ask for our order. Even though we were seated in a corner of the restaurant they should have paid attention to the fact we hadn't ordered yet. My partner gave the waitress a speech about the restaurant’s appalling service, she apologised for being "short staffed", and while he demanded to speak to the manager, she said he/she won’t be in today. Food was great, my partner’s teppan yaki chicken and my red wine duck was amazing. But we dined with a sour taste of the young, un-trained waitresses! Throughout our lunch, we were profusely apologised to by the waitress, which was appreciated.

For this restaurant to be located within the beautiful Tempus Two precinct, it is a shame, a letdown, and should seriously consider a change in ownership or get some serious training for the waitresses! Will not return!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, Australia
“Delicious! Service Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

The food was delicious and beautifully presented. So far, this has been the best Thai food we have had since moving to the Hunter Valley. The service was phenomenal and the servers had smiles on their faces and were in constant motion serving and keeping a watchful eye on the needs of all the customers. We initially came to the Hunter Valley to do some Christmas shopping but ended up disappointed and empty handed. Lunch at Oishii was a perfect ending. Oishii means delicious in Japanese (we lived in Japan for 4 years) and delicious it was.

Visited November 2012
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
“Nice Asian restaurant in the Hunter Valley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Had dinner here last night mainly because it was walking distance from our motel (Leisure Inn,Polkobin).Pleased I made the effort as it turned out to be a great meal.

Place itself is part of the Tempus Two winery and it has an industrial feel about it inside,think large metal air con pipes and polished stone/concrete floor with high corrugated metal roof.

Due to the industrial feel and lack of soft furnishings it can get a bit noisy but I guess this adds to the atmosphere as well.

Starter was curry puffs served with a lovely chilli dipping sauce.I loved them but my wife thought they could have been more crispy ($12 Aud for 4).

I chose steak Teppanyaki for main which came with stir fry veggies and 2 sauces (mayonnaise and chilli paste ).Steak was superb,moist,well cooked and full of flavour.($28Aud)

My wife had Chicken Teriyaki served with salad.Again this was moist and bursting with flavour,one of the best we have have had anywhere on our travels.($24Aud)

Drinks were a Tempus Two Shiraz which was very quaffable indeed.($8 Aud)
Please note prices are from memory so may be slightly out.
Service was efficient but had to ask twice for the bill which annoys me somewhat.
Overall this was great food at a reasonable price ( for the Hunter Valley) which was well cooked and very tasty.
Would recommend in a heartbeat.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Great food OK ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Really nice Thai food with prompt efficient service. Saying that it kind of felt like you were eating in a warehouse as it is a big open space and feels a bit industrial. Could do with a bit more theming and softening around the edges but the most important part, the food, was great.

Visited November 2012