“Life changing experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia

You added Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia to your Saves list
Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia
3.0 of 5 Spa   |   165 Thompsons Road, Pokolbin, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Save 20% OFF
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“Life changing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

An amazing place to relax, enjoy fitness, recharge batteries or just to be thoroughly spoilt! I went as a reward for giving up smoking, kick start my fitness, and re focus for my work relocation interstate. Team are dedicated, professional, knowledgeable .....and all with a wonderful sense humour. They are like a 'family' and treat you as one also. Nicki

Room Tip: all villas same
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Golden Door Elysia is a truly amazing "wellness" retreat which anyone and everyone could benefit from - it offers so much for mental health (relaxation, seminars and just fresh air), physical health (exercise and nutrition), general wellbeing (workshops, pampering, other consultations) and spiritual health (tai chi, yoga, and elements from all of the above).

A couple of tips to make the most of the experience:
- Prepare for the detox: I drink 1-2 coffees everyday, but have often gone without caffeine when going overseas, so was surprised to suffer pretty unenjoyable withdrawal headaches for the first few days (perhaps because it was a whole diet detox). I would suggest weaning yourself off caffeine, salty and sugary processed foods in the few weeks/month beforehand, otherwise it might take a couple of days to actually be able to enjoy and participate in everything!

- Book your treatments/consultations early: Treatments and consultations can often book out. As soon as you book, look through all the materials on the website/emails and deciding what treatments to get (there's so many!). Let the staff know early to avoid disappointment. I included preferences for day of treatment too.

PROGRAMS: I came to the retreat in August 2013 with a friend for the 5 day program. I would definitely recommend the 5 or 7 day program to make the most out of everything they have to offer. Have a look at the draft programs on the website to get an idea of the activities which are available each day (you are informed of the next day's program the night before), which you're able to attend or skip as you please.

I really enjoyed Tai Chi and Stretch Class everyday, but also some of the active classes such as Boxing.

I was surprised by the seminars and how much I gained out of them. I would recommend attending those for the full Golden Door experience, especially those looking for a change in their lives.

ACCOMMODATION: Everyone stays in modern, comfortable villas on the property. Whilst they're not quite 5 star hotel material (they are more like villas or lodges), they are definitely very clean, comfortable and have all the required amenities (heating, bathtub, small kitchenette).

FOOD: I really enjoyed the food, especially the breakfast (which you just can't miss). Food is served at set times (3 meals + morning and afternoon tea) which I found a bit hard getting used to at first, but then tried to continue for myself after I left! They can also accommodate for you if you've got spa or wellness treatments booked during meal times. The food was healthy, nutritious and delicious (I must say I did find one or two of the meals lacking in flavour, probably because of the high frequency of which I eat out). It really aided the whole experience to feel you were nourishing your body well.

STAFF: One of the really special things about this place is the staff - they are really inspiring, kind and motivated people who really support you along the way. Brigid, the GM, absolutely glows and it's that sort of spirit which is infectious and helps motivate you (even when you're desperately missing your coffee!).

I would truly recommend this retreat to anyone. While the price tag might seem steep, I think it's important to have an open mind and prepare yourself for it, because there is a lot you can gain. I would dearly love to go come back each year to recharge the batteries, regroup and reflect! Thank you GD!

Room Tip: We had a low-numbered villa overlooking the valley (gorgeous views!) which was close to the receptio...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Broke, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I recently completed my fifth stay at this unique property in the beautiful Hunter Valley. I take away something new every time. The villas are luxe, the staff are caring and committed to helping each guest achieve their goals in a fun, non confronting and motivating way. I did the 5 day program with a couple of special friends and we had a ball. Couldn't recommend Elysia more highly,

Room Tip: I have stayed in several different villas- they are all great with a lovely view of the Hunter Valle...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Tanawha, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

A trip for Mum and myself. We both went in with open minds and were absolutely thrilled with the Golden Door, Elysia. The best part for me was completely unexpected and that was how much laughing I did. The staff were quite frankly hilarious and meeting so many brilliant new friends who were all up for a good healthy happy time made for an amazing week. I love this place and am thinking of making it an annual 'time-out-for-me' trip. Not to mention I got fit and lost weight, which were also a surprise package. Considering there was no sugar, caffeine, alcohol and not much dough of any sort, the food was delicious, nutritious and filling. Jaye, Mel, Kath and many other wonderful staff looked after us all beautifully. Can I recommend the Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia? Absolutely. You should definitely go and experience this very special place for yourself.

Room Tip: Mum and I booked a 2br apartment. This was great as we each had our own king sized bedroom and ensui...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Nice, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

I am a regular guest at this unique and extraordinary venue.,having stayed around 9 times over the last 10 years. Why di i keep coming back you may ask ? Because I learn something new each time and i love and appreciate the flexibility of both the staff and the activities available.
The accommodation is 5 Starr and the food both nutricious and appetising without being over indulgent.The Spa facilities are excellent. I always leave feeling totally refreshed and ready to take on what ever challenges life may present..It is actually really good value..and a clever investment in your most important asset -YOU!

Room Tip: Villas are either 1 ,2 or 3 Bedroom and all are quite close to facilities.Limited cooking facilities...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed at Golden Door for the first time this June. I stayed for the 7 nights and I really recommend staying for 7 as opposed to the 3 or 5 day program. It really allows you to get the most out of the program. I attended all the seminars which were fantastic, the presenters were all professionals and experts in their field: Physio's, nutritionists, personal trainers etc. There were so motivating and helpful. There was always something to get involved in: hockey, tennis, group fitness, yoga, pilates etc - but none of this is compulsory, you choose what you want to do-and it's encouraged to really listen to your body. Withe the 7 day package you have 3 spa treatments included: 2 massages & 1 facial and these were absolute bliss. Another highlight was the meals we ate. Everything was fresh, seasonal and 'clean'. I felt just amazing eating this way and it's certainly motivated me to continue this lifestyle back at home. I highly recommend a stay at The Golden Door, you won't want to leave - it's a magical place and one that I will most certainly return to in the future.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are amazing :)
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My daughter and I did the Friday to Sunday Weekend Package. It was her birthday and I wanted to treat her to something very special and the Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia fully delivered. As we drove past the vineyards and then through the electronic gates and up the winding driveway, I immediately sensed that we were in for something that would live up to all of my expectations and more. I was not wrong. The retreat's hilltop location with its panoramic views over the Hunter Valley is spectacular. The entire complex is beautifully designed. The activities on offer are varied, fun and sometimes quite challenging. Jaye, who ran many of the activities while we were there, was amazing. Her enthusiasm to have us get out there and 'seize the day' was infectious- particularly for the spiritually enriching tai chi session at sunrise.
In addition to the many physical pursuits, my daughter and I also pampered ourselves with some fabulous spa treatments.
The entire staff was great. I also appreciated that we were able to arrive for lunch on Friday and also have lunch provided on Sunday (our last day) and we were invited to say after our final lunch and do more activities if we wished. Now that's service!
When I mention to others that I had a weekend away with my daughter at the Golden Door, Elysia, some have commented "but it must have cost you a bit." Yes, it cost more than other accommodation in the area but it was so totally worth it.
If you are into healthy living and feel that it is about time that you were nice to yourself, the Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia is definitely for you.
I would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The villas with views over the valley are undoubtedly be terrific but we loved the location of our v...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Golden Door Health Retreat Elysia? Share your experiences!