“A little disappointing..no 5 star hotel.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Patrick Plains Estate

You added Patrick Plains Estate to your Saves list
Patrick Plains Estate
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   647 Hermitage Road, Pokolbin, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Sydney, Australia
“A little disappointing..no 5 star hotel.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I booked a room at this hotel for two night. The website is completely misleading and does not portray what this hotel really is. The furniture in the room was
run down and dated and more like a motel that a luxury 5 star hotel. The photos on the website does not portray the true rooms.

Furniture - outdated wooden furniture,

Bathroom - is that of a motel and very outdated. Took just over 5 minutes for hot water to come around when having a shower and no pressure with the water

We arrived at the hotel in time for drinks and canapés and were never offered any.

We would not stay here again. The rooms are more like motel rooms. For $350 you can definitely find a true 5 star hotel in the Hunter Valley.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here over the weekend. My boyfriend had booked in online on wotif - he paid the 'discount rate' of $350 a night as it was a mystery special. What a joke!

Nobody should pay more than $50 a night for a place like this. It is a motel with some nice pillows. We turned up at midday and were told (fairly rudely) that check in was not until 3pm. We came back at 2.30 and (one of the few nice things of the stay) our key had been left out for us. The rooms are basic to say the least. The photos which you see online of the bed are the only nice thing of the room - the rest including the bathroom is very much 2 star motel quality. I've stayed in private hostel rooms with nicer appearance.

We tried to stay positive and went to check out the 'pristine pool.' This had leaves all through it and looked like no one had used it in months. I asked the manager if we could use the pool and she told us yes - helpfully pointed out where the pool towels were - but didn't bother to check the appalling state of it.

Oh well, we thought, onto some better things about the stay - our complimentary wine tour with canapes. I asked Donna about this only to be told 'it wasn't included in our room price.' 'But had we seen the continental breakfast?' she queried, oh yes we'd seen the brown paper bag in our fridge with two pieces of sandwich bread (tiptop style) with 2 juice poppers, small thing of yoghurt and crappy cereal. This was together with our 'free mini bar' (included in price) which only had 2 bottles of water and 2 small containers of milk.

Avoid at all costs. Donna, whilst I'm sure a pleasant enough person, has no idea how to run a 2 star motel let alone something pretending to be 5 star quality.

Shame on wotif for marketing this place as a 5 star stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked accommodation here in June 2012 to see the George Michael concert. I was hesitant but as it was the only accommodation available for this "Special Event" weekend, I went ahead with it. Now I know why it was the only place available. I had to pay a hugely inflated and unjustly (given the quality of the accommodations) high amount to secure the booking. Obviously with these special events properties just charge what they want - not what is fair or appropriate. This I had to pay in advance. At the beginning of October 2012 George Michael sadly cancelled his Australian tour. I called Patrick Plains immediately to notify them of this fact and that I now no longer needed the accommodation. This was more than 60 days notice of cancellation!!!! Patrick Plains refused to issue me a refund stating that I had booked for a "Special Event Weekend" and therefore no amendments or cancellations were permitted. However, if George Michael was no longer performing over that weekend then it definitely is NOT a "Special Event Weekend". They would not even offer a partial refund. Totally outrageous. Do not trust these people. With opportunistic people like this running these establishments, it's no wonder the Australian travel industry is suffering.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My wife and I booked a special '3 nights for 2' package. Really nice accoomodation (we had the end room). Donna was extremely nice and very helpful. She seemed genuinely keen to make our stay enjoyable. Very peaceful location and 3 nights was about right for us. We took our tandem bike to visit the local wineries and found the quality of the roads shocking. Also if you are so inclined, watch out for the magpies attacking you in spring!!
We were also enticed by the afternoon canapes and wine. Very nice indeed.
Only real dissapointment for us was the breakfast provided in the room. Too basic and not enough choice, especially for a 5 star rating. However, the afternoon canapes probably made up for it!
Would we go there again? Certainly, if there was another special but I would also consider other locations in the area as well.

Room Tip: Choose the furthest end room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My friend and I booked here mid June '12 to see George Michael in December. We had to pay for the accommodation up front in order to secure the room as it was a "Special Event" ($900 - which was outrageously inflated compared to their 'regular stay' weekends). As everywhere else was booked out we settled the account immediately. On 1 October, due to "ill health" George Michael cancelled his Australian tour. Even though I was giving Patrick Plains 2 months notice they refused to issue a refund becuase it was a "Special Event Weekend" and no amendments or cancellations were permitted. My argument to them was that If there is no longer a concert it is no longer a special event! They don't want to issue a refund because they know they will only get half the room rate if they re-book it as it is no longer a "Special Event" weekend. Do yourself a favour and save yourself the stress. Book somewhere that has a reasonable and fair cancellation clause because if your concert cancels - you're screwed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

This place is a motel and it's not five star. My relative passed away and her funeral was on one of the days we had booked at this property - the staff had no compassion and wouldn't allow us to change the dates of our booking - which we had paid for in full. We subsequently only stayed one night at this hotel instead of the two we had planned. We had no contact with any staff during our entire stay - our key was left at reception upon check-in and there was no-one present on the morning we checked out. The place felt like a ghost-town and completely lacked any ambience. The rooms were oddly decorated given the bush setting and architecture. It certainly felt ridiculous being in a pretend 'posh' environment in what was, essentially, a large motel room with low ceilings and a glass sliding door. The bathrooms were the picture of your average domestic household - usually a five-star establishment uses five-star materials. The tapware was the only thing that came close. I would never stay here again - and neither would our friends who booked three other rooms in the property at the time of our stay. Completely underwhelming.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Our experience at this 5 star motel was less than ideal. Its rating seems to be because of some strange arrangement that it is rated as a guest house rather than a motel (which it is) We wanted to stay three nights in the area to go to the Dolly Parton concert in November.I rang a number of places(international calls) which were all booked.I rang Patrick Plains who said that that they could do two nights but were unsure about the three. I was told to put in my email booking. A confirmation came back for two nights so we assumed they were booked on the third.On arrival the person on the desk almost screamed at us that we were supposed to be there the previous night. We explained that we had not received a confirmation so assumed they were booked.This was embarassing and unprofessional as there were other people waiting to check in.All to no avail as were were charged for the three nights. When we checked out we asked to talk to manager again but she was unavailable.Emails have only enlisted more intransiegence.BE SURE TO CHECK and RECHECK YOUR BOOKING WITH THEM.As we were travelling from overseas this was not an option for us.. the place was pleasant enough apart from a lot of dirt in the corners and a dead frog by the door. On the second afternoon we were going to the pool when we discovered that they were mowing the "lawns " which meant that the whole area (including the pool) was covered in dust. As it was the weekend we felt this was ridiculous.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Patrick Plains Estate? Share your experiences!