“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Broken View Estate

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pokolbin
Broken View Estate
547 Old North Road, Pokolbin, Cessnock, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Broken View for two nights in April 12. The cottages were fantastic, and totally met our needs. Breakfast was waiting in the fridge which consisted of eggs, bacon, fresh bread, cereal etc. There is a BBQ around the back of the cottage with a table and chairs. There are chairs at the front of the cottage so you can watch the sun set. We sat and watched the birds in the morning and afternoon. It was so relaxing.

The cottages are so comfortable, you can't fault them. Cathy was extremely helpful and she made sure we enjoyed our stay.

We are planning to return to Broken View Estate again. It's become a favourite place to stay in the Hunter!

Stayed April 2012

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stayed here last weekend during our trip to the East Coast of Tassie, and I have to say this place is abosolutely amazing. Great views, beautiful interior and even your own priviate hiking trail! I definitely recommend it to anyone planning a trip to the Freycinet area.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dieppe, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on a wonderful Easter weekend in 2009. Owners were helpful and friendly. It was quiet and a perfect escape in Wine Country. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We too were guests at Broken View Estate on the October long weekend and it rained and rained like anything- just perfect for a quiet weekend in our villa in front of the open fire and in the spa. The villas are cosy and really well set up, and we were provided with plenty of good wine, firewood, a great complimentary breakfast hamper and even an umbrella for the rain.
The whole Pokolbin area was inundated with water, but access to and from the property was still ok as we visited restaurants and wineries throughout the weekend.
We will keep returning to Broken View as we love the scenery, the kangaroos and the whole wine country experience.

Room Tip: All Villa's face the middle lake. Lots of wild life to look at.
Lindfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I completely and unequivocally cannot agree with "Angela's" criteque. Considering the adverse weather on the October long weekend our stay was amazing, everywhere around the area was flooded and the owners Cathie and Ian were brilliant, helpful and perfect hosts. I would recommend anyone travelling to the Hunter Valley for a romantic weekend to stay at Brokenview...

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Unfortunately the weekend my fiancé and I decided to go to The Hunter Valley for a romantic getaway, there was rainfall. Little did we know that the streets surrounding the Broken View Estate are prone to flooding, and that this is actually common knowledge amongst the locals. The Property Manager neglected to inform us of this, and as we pulled out of the Estate the following morning- we were confronted with unforeseen water mass and our brand new car was damaged to the point where it had to be towed. The manager later advised us that they did have their back gate opened because of the flooding (of which we were not told???).
I find it incredibly hard to believe that being the managers of the property; they could neglect to inform us of such vital information necessary for the safety and wellbeing of their patrons.
3 hours later, a towed car and both my fiancé and I saturated from the rain, we were left with no other option but to rent a car and try to make the most of the rest of our weekend.

The following morning we were startled by a vicious banging on our door. My fiancé opened the door to find the manager screaming abuses at us. He was infuriated and yelling at us for being 1 hour late to check out, and ironically went on to accuse us of being rude and disrespectful.
Due to confusion regarding the beginning of daylight saving time, we were in fact late to check out, an honest mistake on our behalf, and not one which you will agree warrants harassment by service staff. He instructed us to "pack up our stuff- and get off their property” that we were "wasting their time" and then even told my fiancé to "take a good look at himself and that he should be ashamed" (?!!).

Needless to say, we frantically grabbed our belonging, got in our hired car and sped off the premises.

Their shockingly unprofessional customer service skills completely ruined our romantic weekend. The staff were far from just being rude and aggressive, I would go on to say it was absolutely disgraceful and took us by complete surprise, as we have never experienced anything like this before.
I firmly believe the damage to our car was avoidable, had staff simply relayed information regarding the flooding to us earlier, seeing that even the locals are aware of this issue around the property.
Not only will we not be returning to the Broken View Estate, we are now looking to take further action. I am almost certain our insurance company will also be investigating the matter.

Feel free to contact me if you need more information about this frightful experience, I would be more than happy to assist.

Coogee, NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

We loved it here, the cottages are delightful, as was the property manager. We wanted a romantic getaway and it was just perfect. They have a little dam and canoes, which were a bit of fun. They are cloes to all the vineyards, and althought there are a number of cottages on site we did not feel there were every many people around at all, so quiet. I would highly recommend the place.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Broken View Estate? Share your experiences!