Fast check in, staff were very polite even though we had a voucher. The promised bottle of wine was in the foyer for us to pick our choice.
Our room (beginning with a 4) was spacious, cool with the air con already running which was nice as it was quite a hot day, a pleasant view outside the little courtyard of the grass and part of a vineyard, everything was clean and the bathroom was well set up. We really liked the way the shower door opened...haven't seen that before. Only little niggle was that there is not a comfy chair to sit in if you wish to relax inside...outside had a couple of patio chairs. We had to pull the table over towards the end of the bed and sat on that and rested the newspapers on the table, so was still comfy while reading the sunday papers...a MUST in our family ! There was no audible noise from the hotel "proper" and they even supply earplugs in case any noise annoys you, a quaint touch.
The grounds around the hotel are pretty and well kept and the pool area sparkling clean...all very inviting.
It's a bit of a trek around to the dining room for dinner and would not like to do it if it was pouring with rain. Unfortunately dinner was only so-so...a reasonable choice, but steer clear of the Filet Mignon...promoted on the menu as "cooked to meduim" which we thought meant they wouldn't cook it past "meduim"...but it turned out it is precooked and then served. The meat was not pleasant and the bacon wrapped around it was very smoky...lovely for breakfast, but overpowering when mixed with a red wine jus. The "potato rosti" was NOT a rosti but a jumble of limp potato and we had ordered a "creamy" mash thinking it would be special...even I make better mashed potato...but this mash was lukewarm and lumpy. It was an expensive meal at over $33 for the steak meal...so we were disappointed. The garlic bread and dessert was nice though.
On the other hand the breakfast (included in room rate) was well presented and plenty of choice, though would be better if HOT ! The coffee machine was good with freshly ground beans each cup and nice and hot...a change from jugs of coffee sitting on warmers. Also the toaster actually toasted !! hooray !
All in all a nice place to stay and we would be happy to stay again. We set off for the much anticipated Tiger Moth flight down at Cessnock Airport feeling we have had a relaxing break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a little Irish charm at Harrigan's Irish Pub & Accommodation, right in the heart of the Vineyards. Offering superb 4-star accommodation, this unique property features 48 guestrooms and suites, each with its own private courtyard/balcony and undercover parking right outside. Relax around the resort-style swimming pool or make use of the spa, sauna and tennis facilities also available. During your stay, enjoy the casual dining experience of Harrigan's Restaurant, serving a choice of Irish and Australian fare. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Harrigan's Irish Pub & Accommodation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harrigan`s Irish Pub And Accommodation
- Harrigan`s Irish Pub Hotel Pokolbin
- Harrigan's Irish Pub & Accommodation Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin