“Superb experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa du Pays

Villa du Pays
1693 Broke Road | Leogate Estate Wines, Pokolbin, New South Wales 2320, Australia
+61 2 4998 7499
Dining options: Late Night
Melbourne, Australia
“Superb experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I celebrated my birthday last night at Villa Du Pays, with the six course degustation menu and matching wines selected by Shane. We were greted at the front door with "Happy Birthday" and shown to the perfect table centred in front of the fire. Each course was a taste sensation and the wine choices were outstanding. The service was also fabulous with everyone going out of their way to help make it a special night (and a few extra treats thrown in along the way to help with that). Thanks to Colin at Chateau Elan for telling us about this brilliant restaurant. We booked a limousine service Espirit Hire Cars to drop us off at the restaurant and pick us up after, which meant we could both indulge in the fabulous wines, and our driver Andrew also made us feel special and added to our overall wonderful experience - he was happy for us to call him when ready to go, which meant we could take our time over the meal. We would recommend a night at Villa du Pays for any special occasion, and to anyone visiting the Hunter wanting a memorable evening and dining experience.

Visited August 2014

melbourne
“Go for their steak”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We dined there on a Monday night. There were not many restaurants opened on a Monday night in the Hunter Valley. There dining room had a open fire. The entrees were not as memorable than 700gm ribeye steak on the bone we shared. The steak was cooked medium rare the way we liked it. The only thing I didn't like was the black tiles on which the food were served on. Service was good and prompt.

Visited July 2014
Hunter Valley, NSW
“Beautifully Created”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

I had the pleasure of my second visit to Villa since it had opened last year. Pleased to see the same level of attentive and friendly service experienced soon after opening has continued on.

Again, Villa have quite a range within their menu, and everything is presented just beautifully. Escargot with black garlic, truffle and mushrooms was dynamic. Pork belly with scallops and pea mousseline was delicate, I loved the savoury pea with sweet crisp Nashi. I loved the added texture of wattle seed coating on the venison.

Villa is a little bit fancy, featuring more unusual meats and dishes, and so, is on the higher side in regards to price. The decor can also seem a little overdone to some as mentioned in other reviews, but hey, what else is going to help stand out from the usual white, timber and neutral clean lines we all see everywhere else. Definitely an upper class vibe here at Villa that's you're thing.

If you're a visitor to the Hunter, try the Pierre's sparkling as a pre-dinner, the cellar door is far off the beaten track, and is a top drop. Mind you the owners recently knocked off a high ranking award in London for one of their new wines, so probably not a bad idea to try a house made tipple also.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Great food and service :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have been here a couple of times. The service was excellent
The food is fresh and full of flavour,I had vennison,pork belly and scallops and tried snails for the first time and it tasted amazing.
I would highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys fine dining.

Newcastle, Australia
“Fantastic Service, Excellent Food & Wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Had Dinner here on Saturday night after having visited the cellar door for the first time earlier that morning. As soon as they mentioned the owners are cattle farmers and there's a dry age meat room my partner booked us in for dinner.

I would like to point out that my sister is vegetarian, so it makes it hard sometimes to book a nice restaurant that specializes in meat that will also suitably cater for a vegetarian (like it's SOOOOOO hard!). I was extremely impressed with their vegetarian options as well as their flexibility and willingness to makes changes to menu items so they would suit.

The service was excellent! It was a busy night, most tables were occupied, but the staff were in control, attentive and friendly. They were well-spoken and knowledgeable without being over the top posh or stuck-up.

The decor is not my cup of tea - as in I wouldn't have it in my home - but it was lovely and comfortable to dine in! I didn't find it overly tacky or offensive and thought it worked well.

The food was excellent, and I didn't find it to be over-priced. After a big weekend of over-indulging we opted for just a main and dessert - but the entree's sounded amazing, as did the degustation. We all had different cuts of meat and all like our steak cooked to different levels of 'doneness' and it was cooked perfectly to the way it had been ordered. Condiments were delicious and complemented the meat. Desserts all sounded lovely and the ones we chose were excellent.

I would absolutely recommend dining there and look forward to being able to go again in the future.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
villadupays v, Public Relations Manager at Villa du Pays, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
It was our pleasure serving you and we are glad that we could please all members of your party. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,