“Rustic and friendly.” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 56 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Casa Margarita lies in the heart of The Hunter Valley’s bustling wine country, on the grounds of world-renowned, Harkham Windarra Winery. Casa Margarita combines the simplicity of authentic family recipes with fresh, high-quality ingredients to bring diners unparalleled, delectable Mexican cuisine in a charming, turn of the century cantina setting.
Singleton, Australia
“Rustic and friendly.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Although I am not a fan of Mexican food, I do appreciate the friendly staff and the view from the courtyard. My adult children, however, love the fish tacos and were thrilled to discover the ghost pepper.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hello,

My name is Max, and I am the owner of Casa Margarita. Thank you for visiting our restaurant; we really appreciate your business. Although this response is a bit late, we would like to sincerely apologize if your experience was 100% satisfactory. Casa Margarita’s management is all logistical issues to better accommodate our customer's needs. We plan to improve booking systems, menu options, logical food order, staff accountability, and serving speed. If you return to our restaurant, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me, Bill. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

P.S.
I hope you will return and give us a second chance, so we can get your "Excellent" approval.

hunter
“Warning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We ate here with friends and never, never again. No tables were laid, cheap tables and uncomfortable chairs. They were out of most of the beers listed on the drinks menu and the substitute beers were tasteless and weak. The sangria was so bad we left half the pitcher ( not usual for us) and had no flavour other than watered down wine. My main meal arrived and the enchilada was entree size, cold and swamped with rice and what looked like vomit but was I gather refried beans. The other diners faired as poorly with the tortilla ariving well after the main courses were served. There seemed to be no joy in the food that was being served, lacking the full flavours we expected. We thought we might redeem the meal with a couple of serves of churros but the obviously frozen " thin elongated shaped dough fried while keeping its soft centre" came out as crunchy over fried finger thick sticks with no hint of the nice doughy centre expected. While staff were efficient they gave us the impression we were an inconvenience. I can only assume that the good reviews are written by friends of the owners or they were eating at a different restaurant.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hello,

My name is Max, and I am the owner of Casa Margarita. Thank you for visiting our restaurant; we really appreciate your business. Although this response is a bit later, we would like to sincerely apologize if your experience was not satisfactory. Casa Margarita’s management is currently addressing logistical issues to better accommodate our customer's needs. We plan to improve booking systems, menu options, logical food order, staff accountability, and serving speed. If you return to our restaurant, I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Sydney, Australia
“A great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Girl friends and I where down from Sydney for the weekend. We found this restaurant in one of the books, and we love Mexican food!! We where so happy to see it was authentic Mexican food. The carnitas where amazing. The service was fun bubbly and the Mexican man who served us, was so much fun.
We did read the reviews before heading out. And am shocked at most comments! Although the bugs zappers are needed.
We shall see you all at Taco Mafia!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wellington, New Zealand
“Fantastic, authentic Mexican food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The food was sensational, very authentic mexican flavours. We came away full & happy. The buckets of beers went down well too!! Especially the Dos Equis! The venue is rustic & relaxing. The restaurant is located at Harkham Estate winery...a new winery to the Hunter Valley. The wines are all organic, & well worth a tasting... I'm sure you will come away with a purchase. I especially like the philosophy behind the winery including the organic wines & the fundraising for some wonderful African girls causes.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Being a local in the area I have eaten at many of the restaurants in the Vineyards and the standard of the food in the area is always high. My partner loves Mexican food and we recently traveled to San Diego where the Mexican food is amazing. I decide we would eat there on Sat night for my partner’s birthday with friends from Sydney. I saw the a-frame on the road near Muse and I read the reviews on this page before I booked which all seemed quite good. I also went to the web site and saw that the owners were Mexican. It was a hot night the ambiance was not nice at all. The large fluoro lights were on, none of the outside tables were set, no nice candles or table cloths. There were a lot of bugs outside; this would have been helped with some mozzie zappers installed or some citronella candles. We ordered frozen margaritas which were $15.00 each and were just bought syrup. Hardly any flavour. The boys had fajitas which they said were nice but serving sizes small & the tortillas had been heated in the microwave by the look of it. My burrito was so bland, it was filled with rice not beans and it was $25.00.
This restaurant needs some seriously help. The presentation of the restaurant and the tables is awful, the food was not that great and very overpriced for what it is. The prices are the same at the recently closed Cafe Pacifico in Sydney and it was 100 times better. The bathrooms are also terrible, dirty and full of bugs! I expected more – there is so much amazing food in the Hunter eat elsewhere and enjoy some decent Hunter Valley fresh and tasty food. I would not eat there again nor would I recommend to anyone. Very disappointed.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere