We stayed here for one night in March as part of a journey up the Pacfic Highway. We wanted to do some wine tasting and this place was a good place to do this. The accomodation is quite basic, but clean and comfortable. We had a standard room with views over tennis courts to the rear of the main property.
The main draw here is the winery and brewery. We had a vineyard inspection included in the price of our stay, this used to be a winery tour until recently when Health and Safety regulations have changed meaning that this is no longer possible. The vineyard inspection was basically one of the wine makers telling us about how they plant and maintain the vineyards and how they select grapes for making wine, interesting stuff but I'm not sure that I would have paid for this if it hadn't have been included anyway. The wine tasting was enjoyable and we purchased a few bottles to enjoy on the rest of our journey. We had lunch in the brewery and tried the beer tasting paddle which we enjoyed. We had dinner in the restaurant which was very good, the standard of food was excellent, ther service on occasion was slow although there was a very large group at another table which probably contributed to this.
Breakfast in the morning was buffet style and didn't have the greatest of selection. To be fair this was reflected in the price which was very reasonable.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this as a good base for exploring the Hunter Valley - we wished we had had longer to visit other wineries.
- Also Known As:
- Hunter Valley Hotel Pokolbin
- Hunter Valley Hotel
- Hunter Resort Pokolbin
- Hunter Hotel Pokolbin
- Hunter Resort
- Hunter Valley Resort Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything you are looking for in the Hunter - all at the one resort...* Onsite daily vineyard tours at 9am* Hunter Wine Theatre daily at 11am and 2pm* Horse & carriage tour* Horse riding* Bluetongue Brewery Cafe * Hunter Valley Wine School * Fantastic food from our San Martino Restaurant * Board games, pool table, 3km walking/jogging track * Heavenly Hunter Massage Centre * Pool, tennis, heated spa, mountain bikes * Wonderful rooms featuring timber cathedral ceilings * Situated within our own 40 year old vineyards * Owned and operated by the Hele family * And within minutes of the resort... 3 championship golf courses including Cypress Lakes and The Vintage, The Hunter Valley Gardens, cafes, restaurants, hot air ballooning, cheese factories, a chocolate factory, antique stores, a whole shopping village, 3 pampering / massage businesses and over 140 wineries to visit! Or if you prefer, just sit back, relax and finish that book you have been promising to do... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, T4B, Tingo, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your Hunter Valley Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.