“Motel not a resort” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hunter Valley Resort

Save Saved
You added Hunter Valley Resort to your Saves list
Hunter Valley Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Corner Hermitage Road & Mistletoe Lane, Pokolbin, Cessnock, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Pokolbin
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Motel not a resort”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were very disappointed. The photos look nice, but its a motel not a resort - we thought expensive for what you got.

Would be nice if they were more honest in the style & quality of the accommodation.

The hunter valley was fantastic - will return for longer trip, including wine tasting tour!!

• Stayed December 2012
philiphele, Owner at Hunter Valley Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thanks for your constructive feedback - the first words of our website say the same thing:

"Hunter Valley Resort is not one of those 'big' resorts, it is a country inn or lodge with 35 rooms and cottages, nestled within its own 40 year old shiraz vineyards on 70 secluded acres in the very heart of the famous Hunter Valley Wine Country".

What makes us more of a 'resort' than a 'motel' is all our activities like horseriding, massage centre, vineyard tour/winetasting, Bluetongue Brewery, Wine Theatre, Cooking Schools, Binnorie Cheese tasting, Candymaking Class, Pool, Tennis, Mountain bikes etc.

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was my first visit to Hunter Valley with my husband. Before the journey, we sought some advice from our friends for various sightseeing places and accommodation. He recommended us to stay in the Hunter Valley Resort; and it turned out to be a memorable one! The staff there is extremely friendly and helpful. After check-in, the lady briefly introduced the resort facilities and some interesting class like wine tasting, and showed us the Hunter Valley map which facilitated our visits on the following day. In addition, the resort has a small brewery – Bluetongue; and there was a set of 6 tasting beers you could try! Back to the room, we chose to stay in the spa cottage room. The room was clean, well-maintained, and -equipped (... with complimentary Nespresso coffee too); and most importantly, the bed was comfy.

In fact, the most enjoyable moment to me during the visit was sitting under the starry night with my husband... :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice feedback - hope to see you back soon.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Being a celebrated tourist destination, one would expect the Hunter Valley Resort and the Hunter Valley attractions in general to be functioning in a professional manner during the Christmas holiday period, especially when the HV Resort hotel charges a $100 surcharge for the holiday season in order to burden the extra costs of this period.Unfortunately, the y were not able to deliver what they charge for, it was an extremely disappointing experience for us.
We purchased a Groupon voucher for a 2 night stay which includes wine theatre and tasting (a DVD to watch and wine to taste), cheese tasting, a winery tour and a 1 hour horse riding session. Out of the 4 activities, we were only able to do the wine theatre and tasting on the first day we arrived. Everything else was closed or not available, including the resort restaurant on Christmas day. We were told that horse riding was booked for us for 9am on the day we check out. But when we turned up at the Horse Riding company, they were not aware we were coming. It turned out that the resort staff mistakenly booked us for January 2013.
Breakfast was extremely basic and poor at $20 per head.
After complaining, we had the $100 dollar holiday surcharge refunded, so in the end we paid normal charges for 1 of 4 activities.
Grim, sad pathetic are words that come to mind, save your money, look else where.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
philiphele, Owner at Hunter Valley Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
What an unfair review...

During your stay - all 4 activities included in your package were available to you. The facts - for other TripAdvisor readers are:

1. You booked with us on 14 Dec in the full knowledge our restautant was closed Xmas day - in fact you had pre booked a BBQ pack for Xmas day... To then complain our restaurant was closed xmas day is extremely unfair.
2. Yes, we had booked your one hour 9am horseriding tour for the wrong day, however we had booked you on the 11am tour! No mention of this in your review??? With my discussion with you on the phone that day we offered to refund the holiday surcharge as an apology for the mix up with the horseriding booking and as a sign of good faith.
3. Yes, wineries in the Wine Country were closed Christmas Day. That is not our fault - That is the law.
4. You arrived at 1pm on 24 Dec - you had every opportunity to do a Cheese Tasting that day, or on Boxing Day knowing full well the Cheese factory would be closed Xmas Day. Again unfair.
5. The Vineyard Tour and Wine Tasting included in your package was closed, by law on Xmas Day, however ran as normal on 26 Dec - again you elected not to do this.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Excellent location with many attractions close by including wineries & cellar doors, Bluetongue Brewery, restaurants, tours and San Marino Restaurant. Accommodation and service was great and the staff were always ready to please. Our room overlooked the vineyards across to the Brokenback Range which made a great backdrop for drinks on a warm afternoon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review. Much appreciated. Look forward to welcoming you back to the Hunter!
Mudgeeraba, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

WOW what a great find!

Well located in the Hunter Valley . We stayed two nights and really should have stayed a couple more to further explore area.
Right from reception the staff were helpful; Our rooms were very nicely serviced each day , the bed was firm and comfortable - This is my main concern when travelling so was not disappointed.

It was very convenient to go to the Bluetongue Cafe Bar for relaxing both in the morning with a proper coffee a read of the free papers or at the end of the day.

I also enjoyed the rolling uninterrupted views of vines from outside our room as happy to sit down after a busy day of wine tasting .We took the full day bus tour and learnt that the more expensive wined did not leave that hang over feeling.

Just have to go back and stay again at the Hunter Valley Resort so we can really get into the Hunter Valley region.

Room Tip: no need all look the same
Curlewis, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Everything seemed too good to be true when I booked and paid for my wedding accommodation and reception to be held at casuarina in 2010. I paid for our reception in full, as I did with the accommodation ($1600 for 3 rooms over 2 nights which was worth more than my wedding dress!!) Debbie was the restaurant manager at the time and when I made an impromptu visit to casuarina to go over wedding reception and menu details, I was informed that Debbie resigned from her job as restaurant manager and had taken off with my entire payment for my wedding reception food and drinks. I had no help from the owners of casuarina with trying to locate Debbie. They didn't even want to give me the name of her solicitor. I ended up having to threaten to publish in every hunter valley news paper how she took my money and did a runner. Thankfully Debbie finally contacted me before my final warning was taken to print. The owner of the place was always "too busy" to discuss my wedding plans and I ended up moving our reception to Hunter Resort. (best move we ever made, I can't recommend this place enough!!) we decided to keep our accommodation that we booked (moulin rouge, French bordello and Italian bordello) at casuarina because our wedding was on 10.10.10 and there was nothing else available in the hunter valley for this date. We had 11 weeks to replan our entire wedding reception because of this. I had to resend my invitations and it was humiliating and not to mention an expensive task to have them all remade again with the new reception details. When we arrived the day before the wedding, there was no complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolates in the honeymoon suite as promised. There was cruty old sperm on the valance of the bed in the French room. There was a $2 in the sheets in the moulin rouge room, so they clearly had not washed or changed the sheets in a while. We locked ourselves out of one room by accident on our wedding day and the owner would not help us by giving us a master key. She basically told us that she had already gone above and beyond her duty to us because we had asked if 2 of the beds could be remade for us as we were giving the rooms to different family members for different nights of our compulsory 2 night booking. I would never recommend this place to anybody. I will never forget how casuarina came so close to ruining what should have been the happiest time of my life. All I have to look at now is photos of the rooms and the constant reminder of how unwelcome we were made to feel once we swapped our reception to a new venue. Its no surprise the place has so many bad reviews. I wished I read them all before I booked my wedding. So brides and grooms, please be aware. If you want a perfect fairy tale day.... Go to hunter resort instead.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed as part of the groupon deal.
The reception staff where efficient, check in took 5 min if that, our room was easy to get to and was clean, bed was comfortable.
We did the vine tour and then went onto the wine tasting.. Was the first time I had done one and I was stoked. The guys that did it knew their s**t, they knew so much about each and every wine it was awesome! Even after the tasting, we went to the cellar door and they where great for the hour we spent trying to make our minds up on what wines to buy (there was no pressure to buy either). They delivered it to our room, we went over the road and brought some yummy cheeses, sat out on our balcony, ate cheese and drank some wine.
We had dinner at the restaurant saint martinos.. Food was delicious, extremely quick to the table, and we where blown away at the price too.. Very good prices, and good service from restaurant staff also.
We had a few drinks in the brewery bar after dinner. Chatted with other guests, played some pool. Bar staff we great!

I don't know what some people have complained about in other reviews, we had a fantastic time, any trip to anywhere is what you make of it, but we have no complaints about any of it.

We are definately going to go back and do it all again (maybe when this hang over subsides)

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Hunter Valley Resort? Share your experiences!