“An Exhilarating Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley

You added The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley to your Saves list
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   336 Oakey Creek Road, Pokolbin, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Great location and very quiet during our weekdays stay. Friendly staff, clean rooms and great pool, spa and gym. Handy to the Hunter vineyards. Good rural retreat feel with large grounds looking over rural and mountain areas.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We spent a wonderful 3 nights at the Sebel Kirkton Park in the Hunter Valley. We had a comfortable room which overlooked a country vista complete with the soft mooing of cows in the distance. It was idyllic! I chose it because we have a 10 year old daughter and with a pool, spa, gym, tennis courts, basketball hoop and pool table, I thought we should just be able to just relax and never leave.
Our room was not huge but it was a comfortable standard hotel room with a sofa bed for our daughter. Everything worked and it was great to have a balcony to relax outside.
And all went to plan apart from the very cold indoor pool. When we arrived it was just 21 degrees in the pool ... brrrr!! It was supposed to be fixed the next day, but if it did get warmer, it wasn't by much. The spa on the other hand was like a hot bath. All the gym equipment worked as well.
We met some people who had hoped to use the advertised bbq facilities and were less than happy there were none! When they raised the issue, the staff kindly offered to get the chef to cook the 10kg!! of meat they'd bought with them so at least they didn't go hungry!
Overall, it was a wonderful break in an area families wouldn't necessarily think would be good. We didn't go travelling around the wineries because of our daughter, but the Kirkton Park had plenty to keep us occupied.

Room Tip: We had a Heritage Superior which may be the rooms either end of the buildings. They are slightly lar...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel over the weekend for 2 nights. It was a beautiful hotel with a great view and the rooms were very spacious. The staff were friendly and very professional. They have an organised tour that we signed up for and for breakfast they have 2 types of buffet to choose from. Overall we had a great weekend in the Hunter and we were very impressed with the room. The bathroom was beautiful and the shower was a good size, although the water pressure could of been harder. No complaints at all from us. We also had a balcony to overlook the paddocks while eating some cheese and drinking wine.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I read a few reviews on Trip Advisor about The Sebel and had a little trepidation about going there but mostly there were fine about the place.

My take on it is that the place was built in 1987 and it doesnt look 26 years old but 26 years new. Not sure if they have done a refurbishment in the last 20 odd years but the place looks pretty nice no matter where you go.

I chose to stay in a deluxe room because I am sick of those showers in bathtubs and wanted a separate shower and a bath if I wanted one....and I did have one. The shower was large and plenty of room for a 6ft 3in 100kg guy like me plus another if you are so inclined to save water. The bath was also long and roomy for me and my extra long legs and wide girth after sampling so many wines in the area but more about that later.

The room was very clean and elegant in my opinion and given we arrived on a quiet Thursday night, we had the Reg Drayton Wing to ourselves that night though there there were a few people in adjoining rooms on the Friday night. Yes, we stayed 2 nights there. The bedroom was very large and the queen size bed ample and quite comfortable. The bathroom could not be faulted. Plenty of cupboard and wardrobe space and you could fit a dozen suitcases or a dozen cases of wine in the room if you so chose. A nice balcony albeit shared was a nice touch as well and the view amazing over the valley.

The public areas of the hotel were very nice as well and probably 4-5 star. The breakfast buffet was adequate but you had to ask for additional items which I think should be explained when you sit down by the staff member rather than me being informed only by what I saw on the website before I arrived. but I did order some poached eggs which were perfect. The rest of the buffet is standard fare and the pastries were very nice.

We had dinner at the hotel on the first night and the staff were pretty laid back which I dont mind for a quieter night. The food was hit and miss. The entree of Pork Belly was 99% fat and no meat hardly and I could not eat it at all whilst the main meal of Barramundi was nothing short of sensational. My wifes salmon was also first class. The salad was good too to go with it. The wine list of local wines were good but not spectacular as there were not that many choices to be had especially by the glass. But the prices were very reasnoable and to think you can buy a glass of Mt Pleasant Philip Hermitage (Shiraz) for $5 a glass, that should give you an idea. There wasnt a wine over $10 per glass. Amazing value. I think though a revamp of the wine list in total could be on the cards to ensure I eat there again or drink there at least. The bar was a fun place albeit small and the snooker/pool table fun though this too could be improved as there was only one decent cue to use. But overall a nice area to have a pre dinner dinner drink or a few after dinner. The bar had plenty of things to keep you happy including a nice cocktail list.

The hotel has a mountain of areas to find a chair or lounge to while away a few hours and there is a fireplace for the cooler evenings.

I think the hotel is almost 5 star if they just moved ahead in a few minor areas.

The cost for me was pretty good thus my rating of the place. I dont think I would be paying $300+ for a night here but if you can score a deal at the mid $150 mark, you are doing very well.

The only other criticism is that they charged you extra for a flat white or latte coffee if you order the fully cooked buffet breakfast. At $30 and very small in theory, coffee could be thrown in rather than just the percolated stuff which is free and average at best.

But this place is so central to all the wineries as well as a choice restaurant called Twine 200 yards down the road and worth the walk. They have about 50 wines on thier wine list and quite a few by the glass to boot.

They have a pool and spa area and a gym too though we did not use this but had a look.

I'll be back I'm sure and looking forward to getting revenge on the pool table......enjoy!

Room Tip: Go the deluxe room for a small cost
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Had a fantastic 2 night stay over the weekend. Hotel is located in a quiet out of the way location with fantastic valley views yet only a short drive the centre of Pokolbin. The property exudes an old world charm but has all the modern facilties and amenities you could ask for. Booked two Deluxe rooms which were very spacious and comfortable and both the rooms and property grounds are very well maintained. Service was fantastic in all respects and nothing was too much trouble. Used a variety of the on property facilities including tennis courts, pool, spa, sauna as well as the restaurant for dinner on one of the nights and the two days for breakfast and everything was great. I would highly recommend this property!!

Room Tip: Book the Deluxe King room. Larger floor plan with balconies overlooking the valley
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!