“Nice views, great place for a wedding but wouldn't stay there again.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley

You added The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley to your Saves list
The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   336 Oakey Creek Road, Pokolbin, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Sydney, Australia
“Nice views, great place for a wedding but wouldn't stay there again.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012 via mobile

Had a wedding to go to, booked two months ahead of time due to being pregnant.

Location was very nice, grounds were clean and gardens were neat.

Hotel was clean, our room wasn't so clean. Hair in the bathroom and repairs wholes on the bathroom walls.

Bar area was very small, staff not there all the time. Price of drinks very high.

Wedding was very nice, a job well done.

Breakfast was great, the staff were to happy to assist you if you needed anything different.

I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed here for one night from the 21st till the 22nd of January and really enjoyed our stay.
We arrived early and got to check in way before check in time which was nice to relax and refesh a little.
The room was nice but nothing special except for the view of the gardens.
The girl at reception does a brilliant job, very friendly and helpfull and gave us some great tips which we end up doing and enjoying.
Breakfast was brilliant although thats what you expect for 45 dollars lol.
Overall I'd recommend this hotel, it was a great stay for the Hunter Valley but I do think it's overpriced.

Bicester, Oxon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Sebel Kirkton Park for one night as part of a mini tour of Port Stephens/Hunter Valley for our honeymoon as we wanted a 'special' night somewhere whilst we were in Oz getting married. We certainly weren't disappointed!

The location is absolutely stunning, the Hotel being made up of a collection of low rise colonial style buildings as opposed to one large building so it's all verandas and balustrading which enhances the overall feeling of space. Our room was a deluxe room which was part of a building behind the main hotel. It was clean, spacious, had a massive bath and a table on the veranda outside the French window with a magnificent panoramic view of the valley, mountains and vineyards. The hotel itself has a very calm and relaxed feel about it and the surroundings are very peaceful with odd benches dotted around in the grounds where you can sit and just take in the view and listen to the wildlife!

We ate in the restaurant that night and the food was absolutely superb albeit the service was a bit slow between courses. I got the feeling, however, that this might just be an Australian thing as it wasn't the only place we ate in where the service was a bit 'relaxed'. However, when you eat in highish end expensive eateries a certain level of attention and service is expected, by me anyway, and I felt this could definitely be improved on all things considered. Lovely meal though none the less, the pork belly was to die for!

As we were only there for one night we didn't use any of the facilities so I can't comment on those (pool, bar etc) but we passed by or through all areas and all looked very nice. We had spent the afternoon on a wine tasting tour which the hotel had booked us on. As a side note, the wine tasting tour is more a case of being driven around some vineyards and trying a little with the hope that you buy in their shops, you don't actually get shown the vineyards or any of the production etc. Not so sure it was great value at $55AUD each but when on limited time.....

Overall, it is an excellent place to stay and I wish we'd had another night. The room rate was good however the dining is expensive (yet very nice) as is the breakfast ($30AUD for full buffet or $25AUD if you ask for a voucher the night before and it wasn't that warm and the plates were cold). We arrived early and they rushed to get our room ready for us and when we discovered that a couple of things were missing from the room clean (dressing gown, milk etc) the receptionist rushed down straight away herself to bring the missing items, the service was truly exceptional.

Any bad points? Well, not so much bad but two things were a little disappointing. Part of my consideration when booking was that complimentary wifi is advertised as being available in your room. This turned out not to be the case as there wasn't sufficient reception. When I asked about it they were aware and suggested I use the wifi in the main building which only appeared to work in the reception foyer. Not wanting to spend my time sitting in reception like a plum I didn't really use it. No biggie but if it's offered it should work.

Secondly, on check out I was offered a choice of paying in GBP or AUD. I opted to pay in GBP as I had done this at the Hilton Sydney the previous week with no extra charge. However, in this case the payment was processed by Travelex and I got charged a whopping exchange rate equal to about 10% of the entire bill which was by no means small in the first place. That did leave a bit of a bitter taste as we left the hotel and took the shine off it a bit which was a real shame, I really feel that this should have been explained to me before I paid.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel and would love to stay there again hopefully. Just keep your eye on your costs and enjoy!

• Stayed January 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Not usually our kind of accommodation, we came on a package that had been won by an aged relative and given to us. At first glance the aging colonial 80's built facade gave us the shivers and we wondered what we were in for.
however, the Sebel KP feels like 2 star budget is operating for a 3-4 star accom, pulled off mainly by the impeccable staff and cleanliness. Couldn't fault how hard they tried in every aspect to be friendly.
dinner in the restaurant was intriguing. We order a side dish of beans to accompany the steak only to find the steak arrived sitting on a large helping of beans.. Nitpicky I know, but that little detail was very annoying especially when we could have ordered something different. Never mind, the cheery waitress who insisted on calling us 'guys' cheerily laughed it off when she noticed we had barely touched the side dish.
The breakfast was stock standard to all continental breakfasts the world over - a big plus for the runny poached eggs- love a chef that gets some people are addicted to runny eggs! However, the choice of watermelon, honeydew etc looked like price had dictated the choice. We didn't t eat them
the Hunter Heavenly massage service also missed its price point. Looking forward to a relaxing and peaceful body scrub I got the fear of all weary weekenders.. A Talker.... And got called 'sweetheart', and I heard her life story and the story of 'Sally' who clearly runs the business and wasn't here this day.( must have been encouraged by my grunts) to top it off I also learnt she was 'still learning' massage and that her teacher told her she'd be no good for another 5 years at least. Wtf? I highly suspect shed been thrown into the job this day as the stop start nature of the treatment appeared to be caused by her working out what to do next. my full body scrub was a 4 limb scrub at best. still, I gave her a tip because I suspect it was more Sally's fault than hers for the quality of the treatment. I had to choke back the giggles as she tried to say the $10 tip was not necessary ' buy yourself a nice bottle of wine'- as I rushed out the door heading off to Tower Lodge's 'Nine' degustation experience @$250pp.
I probably sound like a snob, but if you are here for a concert and just need a bed, it's fine. If you are here for a wedding, well it's wedding central- with pretty views et al, but if you are into boutique accom and fine dining you'll be disappointed. with all the excellent and modern accoms popping up all over the valley I feel the Sebel could do with an external revamp to reposition themselves as a serious threat for business.

Room Tip: Room 66 and around them have gorgeous valley views
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012 via mobile

Great place for a family holiday - indoor swimming pool, tennis, restaurant, games room, bar lounge - many facilities within the compound. Immaculate service, front desk staff go out of their way to provide outstanding service. Beautifully maintained gardens & lovely view. Relaxing atmosphere. Hotels rooms a bit outdated but very clean. Great value for money. Would definitely consider staying again next time.

• Stayed December 2011
Muswellbrook
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I thoroughly loved the sebel kirkton park! We stayed there for a romantic night away from the kids and it was perfect. There were mostly couples staying, but we did see one or two families also.
The staff anticipate your wishes before you ask and you feel completely welcome and at ease. You can borrow one of their bikes and ride around the wineries, walk around the grounds, swim in the (fancy) pool or play tennis. If you aren't feeling energetic you could just drink wine on your verandah, watch a movie in the lounge and order room service, like we did.
One word of warning though, even on a sunday night the restaurant is very popular (hence the room service) - reserve a table when you check in!

Room Tip: The rooms are spread over several buildings joined by garden paths, but they all looked beautiful.
Queensland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Sadly, our 3 day visit did not live up to what we were expecting from this wonderfully located venue, with lovely scenic views. We arrived on NYE but our room was not ready , but this was fair enough as we were about an hour early for a 2pm check-in. Our room was number 59, so was in the building with the very long (shared verandah), and it was quite a walk from the car-park to the room, so if you have a lot of luggage, it can be a bit onerous. The room itself was a very good size, and the bed was lovely, except it had ends that came out and attacked your thighs with painful bruises! The main problem with the room was that you could not take a step without the floor squeaking very badly. I am sure it would have been heard in the rooms either side. The previously mentioned verandah had old wrought table and chairs to sit on, but these had seen better days and needed a cushion to make yourself reasonably comfortable. They obviously don't clean the verandah very often, but it would not hurt to have someone use a blower on a daily basis.

We purschased tickets before arriving for the NYE Dinner ($135 p.h.), but not much thought had gone into the night. There were no, repeat no decorations in the room, although there were party hats a whistle on each table. Strangely the set menu had no choices, and it was Pork Belly for entree and beef for main course. Both courses were excellent, although we had to arrange alternate meals for my wife who does not eat meat. Included in the price was a 3-hour drinks package, but I don't believe it was very good value for money. We did not see the New Year in and were firmly ensconced in bed by 11pm.

The breakfasts were OK, and were the same as most hotels these days. Predictable.

One complaint that we had was even though we put out the sign at 9am asking for our room to be made up, we had to ask reception at 4pm if we could have it done. Similarly the next day. They obviously did not have enough staff on duty to complete the room servicing (which was minimal anyway).

The young staff were very friendly and professional and this made up for our disappointment in other areas.

Finally, the wi-fi did not work in the rooms, but you had to take your laptop to the lounge to get connectivity.

I understand that the current manager is leaving - when I found this out it made sense that there seemed to be a lack of direction/leadership in place (or maybe that was just my imagination).

I would not be in a hurry to return there for a holiday. However, I can see why it would be a delightful venue for a wedding.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Sebel Kirkton Park Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!