“compliments to the chef!” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Hunter Holiday Package
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Sydney
“compliments to the chef!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

I recently re-visited Peppers Guest House, after many years- what a treat. Before I had even put my bags down in reception and checked in I was invited to the guest lounge for a complimentary wine tasting- well, when in Rome...!

Then, delivered promptly and politely by the friendly staff, I indulgently consumed an exceptional meal on my wonderfully comfortable king size bed which later nearly swallowed up my city-stressed bones- heaven!

With an early start I was treated to a welcome from the local roos and their joeys outside my window and an exceptional sunrise over the valley. Breakfast and yet another wonderful meal offering enormous choice, excellent service and most of all- fantastic coffee, before a wander around the beautiful grounds.

Despite my late check out, the promise of the surrounding vineyards and the Hunter Valley Gardens almost at the doorstep, it was still hard to drag myself away from Peppers.

Thank you to the friendly and accommodating staff who seamlessly keep this place humming along. See you again soon.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

What a wonderful surprise the Peppers Guest House was! We arrived to a very quiet and tranquil resort, Katie the receptionist who checked us in was very friendly, and helpful over the duration of our stay with information regarding the region. Having read some of the reviews on this website prior to booking, we are happy to say that we had no troubles at all during our stay.

We checked in to a lovely quiet room, which was well appointed and modern for such an old building. A quick stroll around the resort area confirmed a quiet getaway destination.

Although we did not get the opportunity to eat in the restaurant for dinner, the breakfast buffet was fantastic, the bread & butter pudding that has been mentioned here before was a real hit!

The friendly staff at the resort who were always helpful and cheerful made our stay that much more enjoyable, and we definitely recommend anyone looking to stay in the Hunter Valley.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

We stayed at the Guest House for a long weekend. The rooms are lovely, however finding someone else's pubic hair on the bathroom floor, brown stains on the spare blankets in the cupboard and not having any air conditioning working on arrival is not exactly what you'd expect for a hotel in this price range!! The restaurant food was good but the service was absolutely shocking!!! The pace was that of a Nursing Home, and certainly some of the waitresses really need to improve their standards of customer interaction. Many of the waitresses seemed to have no knowledge of food or beverage, e.g. what 'corked' means in reference to a bottle of wine! The tiles in the pool area are all green and slimy, and very slippery, so be careful!.
I visited the Endota spa whilst i was staying there and cannot recommend it highly enough- definitely worth the dollars, just find another hotel to stay at! The therapist was amazing, professional and very talented.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Bar Beach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I took my wife to the Guesthouse for her 40th birthday over the June long weekend.

I was somewhat wary of what we might find after reading several heavily critical reviews on the trip advisor website. We were full paying guests who had booked relatively late over what is always a very popular weekend in the Hunter.

Being conscious of the complaints we were pleasantly surprised to be greeted by courteous and informative reception staff, offered porterage, advised of facilities and while appearing somewhat trivial, but the basis of several complaints, were informed of egg options at breakfast.

Our ‘classic’ style room (201) was more than spacious with modern conveniences set within the old world features. We had a great view from the verandah outside our room, over well kept grounds. Dinner gave us an opportunity try a variety of dishes that we wouldn’t normally eat. Wait staff were obliging and keen for feedback with the new menu. The lounge and fireplace was the perfect place to retreat to after dinner. Finally we were allowed a late checkout to enable my wife to shower and change after her morning at the Endota spa.

While we did not expect or seek any particular privileges, we had a faultless stay and the criticisms identified by other trip advisors were certainly not evident during our stay.

Dave and Ally

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

To anyone wanting tranquility and love from people whom you have only met on the day.

My husband and I just got home from The Peppers Guest House in The Hunter Valley. We spent our weekend there after entering a competition with

2GB Radio station. What we received was not part of our wildest dreams. We had the most wonderful retreat for three days and two nights and the reception we got on

entering was the sign of what we were about to get the full time of our stay. We were so thrilled with the way the "House" treated us ,we were sad to go and I told the lady

who saw to us at dinner and breakfast. She made me laugh and knew exactly what we liked to enjoy from their , so delicious tables.

God bless Ray Hadley -2GB Radio and your services at The Peppers Guest House for a most memorable weekend away from the wild chase we live in

every day. WHAT a time we had.. May your house travel from strength to strength and always have this cloud of Love in the air.

Love to all the staff and you Peter Harman for the atmosphere.

Always in our thoughts

Love to the lady in the dining room.

Desmond and Jennifer Rorich.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Chennai (Madras), India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

We paid $620 for 2 nights - the Duty manager on our arrival was officious, offensive and arrogant. He raised his voice and told us we 'can't check in until 2pm - didn't we know this was normal procedure throughout 'The Valley'. His attitude permeated throughout the Guest House. Our room was dirty (we have photos) particularly the air conditioning duct above the bed (it made a churning noise all night long), one light didn't work, the bedside table lamps were loose & unsteady. Our friends also staying had an early morning telephone call at 3am (no one answered). We waited an hour for a table for dinner (never been offered pig's ear & duck's tongue on a menu before). Breakfast arrived; not what was ordered (at least the waitress was profusely apologetic). General maintenance of the grounds good. This is a tired and dirty Guest House with staff attitudes needing a serious adjustment. Recommend some customer service training (probably from the top down). We would never stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Peppers5, Director at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, May 26, 2009
I was very disappointed to receive this complaint and apologise unreservedly for any lack of service experienced. Peppers are re-knowned for friendly and professional service and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

We do not have a male duty manager so I will definitely have to investigate those comments, but this is certainly not indicatative of the attitude of our team.

I would certainly like to know more about any cleanliness issues with your room as recently the AAA rated us at its highest level for cleanliness. I will make contact with you to try and get more detail as we don't have any air conditioning vents above beds. If there was anything unsatisfactory about your room I sincerely apologise.

With respect to our signature restaurant Chez Pok, our new Head Chef trained under Brett Graham in the Ledbury Restaurant in London and the dish you tried was put on as a special for that evening and as I understand very positively commented on by other customers. Yes they are un-common items, but nonetheless quite appropriate for our new winter menu.

Thank you once again for your comments.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

My family (myself, my husband & our two children) stayed at Peppers Guest house back in April and had a wonderful stay. ALL the staff were very friendly & helpful, accommodated all our requests with no trouble.
The Guest House is perfectly located in the heart of the vineyards, easy drive to vineyards.
The kids went bike riding , played tennis & swam in the heated pool which was great.
There are some areas in the hotel that needs a little maintenance, but that's to be expected for a 20+ year old property, however everything was in working order & clean . If you want good old fashion genuine service & to be spoilt, then we recommend Peppers Guest House.. Thanks for a great stay ..the Clarkes

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!