“Mum time out” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Newcastle, Australia
“Mum time out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stayed alone (Dad home with the two kids) first night away on my own without them and I soaked up the serenity! Indoor pool... tick, Bath... tick, Room service dinner...tick, so yes it ticked all my boxes and I just had such a relaxing time I will be back.

Room Tip: Close to the pool was lovely as I could enter via balcony into room. It was literally a stones throw...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your visit to the property.

I am pleased to read that we ticked all the boxes on your recent visit and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brian Rooney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

As per previous reviews this Peppers is missing the mark, neglected and rough around the edges. A beautiful country setting with kangaroos on the lawn and some lovely original buildings. The staff, whilst friendly are way off polished and management seem to be on vacation. Definately not to the standard of other Peppers I have stayed at. So much potential, I hope someone picks this one up and restores to it's former glory. Excellent central location.
I would only stay here again if I got an amazing deal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback during your recent stay at Peppers Guest House.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I have recently stayed at both the Peppers Convent and Peppers Guesthouse. These are not the uber-luxury destinations that are sometimes associated with the brand name, but are nevertheless very comfortable, stylish, reasonably priced and adjoin great restaurants. The Guesthouse is much larger than the Convent and seems more efficient and snappy, but it is beginning to show its age. It’s definitely my preference for business travel. The rooms are stylishly furnished and decorated with care and are very efficiently laid out in terms of a large very comfortable bed, good working areas and a good quality bathroom. Peppers is also outstanding with its standard bathroom amenities, coffee etc. The grounds are pretty, extensive and well established, the restaurant is of course top notch. The pool is small, too old and indoors. If deciding between the two Peppers properties, I would be inclined to say that the Convent is better for personal weekends and holidays and the Guesthouse is better for business. However, the rates for both vary quite lot depending on vacancies, time of year, and midweek compared to weekends. This property would definitely be the better one for work conferences and similar.

Room Tip: The rooms seem to vary considerably. I have stayed in two different ones (in the garden annex and i...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback during your recent stay at Peppers Guest House.

I am delighted to read that you had the opportunity to visit both iconic Pepper properties whilst visiting the Hunter Valley and more importantly you enjoyed both experiences.

We are very lucky to have such wonderful historical properties both beautifully located and which can cater for all our guest needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

A beautiful, grand old lady and in need of better maintanence and a facelift.
Reasonably priced but the room held no star quality and the bathroom, was at best, chaotic. Having to sit sideways on a toilet, say it all.
Chez Pok breakfast was excellent while dinner had some highs and lows. We had the best wine of our stay in the Hunter but my wifes steak had to be returned to be cooked to specification.
Only five choices of mains, reduced to four when my choice was unavailable. Luckily, my second choice was to die for. The service was excellent, if not a little unrefined.
overall a nice stay but underwhelming and for the price, I'd look elsewhere next time.

Dear Anton,

I am confused as to your comment in relation to toilet positioning in our guest rooms. All our toilets have been positioned correctly allowing our guests to sit in the correct position so to state that you have to sit sideways is incorrect.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your breakfast experience in our restaurant along with your dinner experience. I apologise that your wife’s meal had to be returned to be cooked to specification. I hope that this did not deter from your overall experience.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We were very much looking forward to our stay at Easter at Peppers Guest House. The grand old buildings are sadly being let down by the maintenance around the grounds. From weeds in the herb garden and garden beds to the outdoor seating by the fire pit that is clearly falling apart and not fit to be sat on! There were grass clippings everywhere under the outdoor timber furniture and the BBQ looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. The pool and spa house is dated with no pool depth markings to be seen. The general grounds are of concern for WH&S of guests with failing outdoor furniture. We ordered room service Easter Monday as Chez Pok was closed. Our pizza came to the room uncovered, without crockery, cutlery or serviettes! Peppers is a great brand but sadly this property has seen better days. Such a beautiful location with so much to offer.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your visit to our property

I take on board your constructive review and will be addressing these issues with the relevant team members.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future

Tamworth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife and I got married at peppers last weekend. We had our families stay from the Thursday until Monday. We had an amazing wedding at peppers, and our stay was brilliant. The staff were amazing and friendly. They all made our special day magical,,and always ensured that we were never wanting for anything. The fitness centre score is zero because they do not have one. Overall amazing..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Matt,

Many thanks for taking the time to write to us regarding your recent wedding at the property.

I am delighted to read that you and your wife had a fantastic time. We are very lucky to have such a unique venue for weddings and delighted that we delivered a truly memorable experience for you and your family.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

NSW, AUS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed in a vintage room for 2 nights. The property is beautiful with nice surrounds. The rooms are a generous size however there is nowhere to sit like a balcony or courtyard so if you want to enjoy a couple of drinks you need to do it in your room (there is a table set up in the room). We were happy with our stay but were disappointed with a few minor things that happened. We had an awful experience at Chez Pok for breakfast (read seperate review). When we got to our room we went to make a coffee with the machine and there were three straws floating in the water part of the machine. We also went for a drink at the bar and my partner ordered a vodka and soda and after 5 minutes was told that there's no soda (a bit like the hollandaise sauce at breakfast). She then opted for a Vodka and Lemon and the lemon (solo) was flat. At the end of the day the hotel is nice just a few minor issues that stained our stay.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your recent stay.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall expereince and I take on baord the feedback you provided in relation to certain expereinces you encountered during your visit. I have emailed you seperatelty to this to seek further information on your stay and I look forward to talking to you.

Brian Rooney

Been to Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!