“Wonderful weekend away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley

Save Saved
You added Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley to your Saves list
Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ekerts Road, Pokolbin, Cessnock, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Offer with More
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Pokolbin
Sydney
“Wonderful weekend away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

We spent a weekend away at Peppers and it was wonderful. Perfect location for all the things to see in the Hunter. We also received a complimentary upgrade to a Vintage Deluxe which was gorgeous.

A great weekend getaway. I would highly recommend Guest House to anyone.

• Stayed December 2013
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us during your recent return visit to the property.

We are delighted you enjoyed your return stay and got to experience our vintage deluxe rooms.

Thank you also for posting a comment on our Chez Pok restaurant. It gives me and the team great pleasure reading these wonderful comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year.

285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Beautiful place. So peaceful and serene.
Manager brought us complimentary milkshakes on a 40 degree day.

Really nice for couples and families.
Watched kangaroos graze in the morning whilst being served a great breakfast in the sun! Well done guys

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Dear Jon,

Many thanks for the fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Both my colleagues and I found your kind words extremely encouraging.

We hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

Noosa, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

The scenery surrounding the hotel was just magnificent! We rode through the Hunter Valley and spent the day tasting amazing wines and we felt so relaxed when we returned to our room. The Guest house is very elegant and in a great position!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Caroline,

Both my colleagues and I found your kind words extremely encouraging, they speak for themselves really.

Thank you again and I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back again.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Stayed many years ago and the service was excellent. Sadly it has reversed. Staff incapable of reading do not disturb signs, changing dirty towels or manning the bar. Room service a joke, and dinning areas not clean enough. Every time someone took a shower we could hear the water and the shower labor away. Bill was incorrect, food in the evening poor. Disappointing that somewhere so good could go so bad so quickly. No longer worth the money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

There are some key areas that you have highlighted in your feedback and I was hoping that this could be done in a different forum.

Can you please contact me at your earliest convenience on my direct line + 02 4993 89 82

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I should start by saying that I could not fault the service provided by reception at this hotel. The problems arise from the design of our room and corporate policies.

Our bathroom was tiny and very badly designed. The washbasin was a large bowl set on top of a tiny bench. There was almost no space for makeup, toothpaste, medications, and other things that guests might want to store. And any stored items kept falling onto the floor through the gap between the bench and the shower screen.

The shower has over the bath, which would not be a problem except that it was a deep bath and it was difficult for arthritic old people (such as us) to get into the bath to have a shower. Overall, the room seemed to have been designed by someone who had heard of bathrooms but had never actually used one.

Then there are the corporate policies. Wifi is available, but at a cost of $10 *per device* per day. This really is unforgivable when Internet access is almost free. And then there is the 2% charge for any payment by credit card. It is obvious that corporate management is unaware of the resentment such a charge causes.

In summary, it was comfortable enough but the "nickel'n'diming" is such that I will not be using any Peppers in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear Nick,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback during your recent return visit at Peppers Guest House.

I am glad to hear that you found the service to be the level that we pride ourselves on and will be sure to pass onto the team.

I do take on board the feedback you have regarding the fee for the internet and merchant service fee for credit card transactions. We try to be transparent with all our charges at the property hence we highlight this information in our reservations confirmations aswell as a notice on the counter at reception and the registration card. Nonetheless I do take on board your feedback and I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I received a gift package to stay at the guest house. We had previously stayed here 25 years ago and really nothing had changed. It still retains some of the lovely guest house service and charm, however the rooms are very small and crowded with unnecessary furniture. Our room had no balcony or bath. We had to carry our bags up stairs and through very dated foyers. It had a nespresso coffee machine with only two complimentary capsules for our whole stay. The bed and linen were the only items that were lovely. Thank goodness the food at the restaurant was amazing and the wine list just as impressive.
The breakfast was good and the area overlooked a grass area with many kangaroos relaxing, playing and even boxing! The rest of the grounds need a lot of updating especially the indoor pool area.
The guest house is located in a great area with many wineries only a short drive away. The Hunter Valley is a great place to relax, enjoy visiting the many boutique wineries and fantastic restaurants. You feel a long way from the city even though it is only a couple of hours away.

Room Tip: Ask for a downstairs room. They have access to the gardens and a little outside table. Nice to enjoy...
Dear Guest,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your return visit and take on board your feedback regarding the furniture in the room and the indoor pool area.

I am pleased that you had an opportunity to dine in Chez Pok and more importantly enjoyed the experience.

I hope that it is not long before we welcome you back to the hotel again.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

As we entered the property, I was very impressed with the beauty of the grounds and the charming buildings. The gentlemen on check in was very friendly and helpful. Gave me a map and pointed out hot spots to visit in the area. He offered to help with our bags- no complaints with service there. When we entered our room I was quite disappointed. The room was small and dark, as the light from outside was blocked by high hedges. I expected better views from my room to be honest, al got was the back of a hedge. The room wasn't very clean. The bedside tables were dusty, one of the coffee cups still had lipstick on it. One thing I expect when staying anywhere is at least a clean bathroom. I was upset by the fact that the sink was dirty and the toilet was not clean!! I rang the front desk who sent by someone to clean it immediately. That really did turn me off. When we turned the tv on there was no picture, so once again I had to call for someone to fix it. The bed linen was clean, but one of the towels had a stain on it. White towels are not forgiving, so please make sure they are sparkling white and clean!! Sleeping was difficult with noisy plumbing and light streaming in thought the shutters which didn't block out the light from outside. On the Saturday night a wedding reception was held and I was kept up until about 2:30am from noise guests talking and slamming doors. Not impressed. The pool room was unimpressive very stuffy and insects covered the floors and were even in the pool. It needed a good sweep and scrub. Wifi was provided with an extra charge which was not detailed on the website.

What really disappointed me was that we visited the hunter for our 10th anniversary, and on the website it was detailed that picnic hampers can be made by Chez Pok and need to be ordered the night prior. I was excited for our picnic and I rang the restaurant to order the basket, but the girl who answered didnt have a clue and said she would call me back after she asked someone. No call back at all. The next day I told the staff I didn't get a call back. It turned out the chef was too busy to make the picnic basket. However, after we asked for a basket to be prepared with pastries and fruit from the breakfast service, they kindly obliged. I was so disappointed I didn't get my picnic experience.

Good points. Yummy breakfast, and a lovely eating area facing the gorgeous grounds. All in all I wouldn't return until they step up their game.

Room Tip: Don't get a ground floor room. Noisy and people are always walking by, so you always need to clo...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Victoria,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback during your recent stay at Peppers Guest House.

It seems we may have fallen below your expectations on this occasion and I apologise for this.
The cleanliness of the guest room and the failure to follow up on your request will be followed up by myself with my team members in due course as this is not the standard that we pride ourselves on.

Once again, I apologise that your stay was not as great as it could have been and hope to one day welcome you back to the property.

Brian Rooney

Been to Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!