“Very average experience - Disappointing breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Hunter Holiday Package
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Sydney, Australia
“Very average experience - Disappointing breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights for friend's wedding in Hunter Valley. The room was very average. The shower was very old and not comfortable (inconsistent water flow).

Breakfast was disappointing as the choices for hot breakfast was very limited. We had breakfast elsewhere on the second day which was much better.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your recent visit to the Peppers Guest House.

I appreciate your feedback and will investigate as to why the water pressure was not at a consistent flow during your stay and for that I apologise.

I am surprised to hear that you felt that the hot breakfast was limited as I believe we provide a wide range of both hot and cold food nonetheless I will share this feedback with my food and beverage team and investigate if there are ways of improving this.

Once again thank you for your feedback.

Brian Rooney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Guesthouse on several occasions always finding it to be quite an enjoyable experience. Made the mistake of eating at the restaurant Chez Pok the first time I stayed but not since then. I have noticed over the years that while the Guesthouse remains adequate it has lost its charm from barely furnished common areas to a very tired pool area. I will not be returning after my last stay. I booked 2 nights stay for a wedding and made my reservation some months ago. When making the booking I enquiried about check in time and was told 2pm. The wedding started at 3pm and I was anxious about making it to the chapel on time. I was told that they could not gaurentee an early check in as the room might not be ready but if it was ready I could check in earlier and they would make a note in the system for me. I understand this procedure as I have run and operated a successful boutique guesthouse myself reaching the number one spot in out region on this site, however I was terribly disappointed to reach our destination and the horrendous customer service by the Receptionsit Rebecca. She showed little to no interest in our arrival without even a welcome. She actually seemed annoyed and put out that I would even dare to ask if an early check in was possible stating 'we can't gaurentee that it will be ready before 2pm' clearly with no intention of trying to make this happen. I asked if someone could call me just incase it was and she suggested I register taking my CC details handing me a tourist guide and asking where I would be going in a very dismissive and rude way. What a terrible first point of contact for Peppers Guesthouse and a terrible way to start a holiday especially when paying such high rates for a room. I do understand this policy and was disappointed but the delivery and the way it was handled was dismal. Why note it in the system and why not just say unfortunately u can't check in until 2pm at the very beginning? Why make me believe that there was a possibility of this happening when there was clearly no intention on arrival?Went back at 2pm to check in after sitting In the car for half an hour. Was checked in by another girl who was bright and bubbly and actually made me feel 'welcomed'. We were not offered any porter service, were not advised what time breakfast was or given the wifi password. Room was large and comfortable and all other staff at breakfast were fantastic. Shame that my initial contact was such a let down. Please remind Rebecca that Hospitality is about being Hospitable and showing some care and empathy and not to be made to feel as if you are annoying at such a simple and basic request.

• Stayed September 2013
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your recent visit to the property.

Service is something that I pride myself on and I expect my team to deliver on a daily basis. I am deeply disappointed and surprised to learn of your experience while staying with us and I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused to you on check in.

This feedback will be shared with my team member as it is something that we need to learn from and ensure it does not happen again. It is a shame as you mentioned that the breakfast team in Chez Pok was fantastic. This is the feedback that I am used to hearing and expect.

Please accept my apologies once again for the inconvenience caused. I do hope that we can welcome you back again in the near future and I would be more than happy to look after you.

Cobar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed in the "valley view" rooms, they where small and we also had to boil the kettle on the floor as there was nowhere else to boil it, and it was very over priced for what we expected. Also had my elderly mother with us and it was very hard for her to get around.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback during your recent stay at Peppers Guest House.

I take on board your feedback regarding the valley wing but felt it appropriate to highlight that this wing is named after the area Hunter Valley and is not referenced nor does it state “valley view” rooms.

We do supply several power points throughout all our guest rooms which would allow you to boil the kettle on the bench top rather than the floor.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

It's a lovely little place but the rooms and bedrooms are tiny. We had a 'valley view' room and could not see a view of the valley. Luckily we were only in our room to sleep and shower, not as luxurious as I had been lead to believe.

• Stayed September 2013
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to hear that you liked the hotel but disappointed at the same time that you felt that the bedrooms were small. I take on board your feedback regarding the valley wing but felt it appropriate to highlight that this wing is named after the area we are located in.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Spent two nights here over 30 and 31 August. Nice location, quite and relatively pleasent. Pool house and spa facility are below average and need to be upgraded. Bathroom is old but clean. Its ok. Comfortable, clean but dated.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback for both Chez Pok & Peppers Guest House.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Chez Pok. I will be sure to share this with the team in the coming days.

I take on board your feedback regarding the property and hope that once the refurbishment is completed in the coming weeks we will be able to welcome you back to showcase the changes that we have undertaken.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed here the weekend of 23rd and 24th August and stayed in a garden room.

Firstly, the good. Our room was better than I had expected. A comfortable bed, nicely furnished and I think brand new carpet. It was very fresh. The grounds of the property are lovely and the setting is stunning.

Now, onto the not so good. The bathroom is needing some work and had mould around the tiles. Some re-grouting is definitely needed here. Service at front desk wasn't overly friendly in fact quite short and sharp.

The breakfast was OK but having stayed at many 5 star hotels and experienced their buffets this one was just OK. We had also placed an order for poached eggs but after waiting around for more than 45mins no sign of them.

The hotel has great potential to be a true 5 star but just need to get some of the service elements right, and a refurb of bathrooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay with us.

We really do appreciate you taking the time and trouble to post it and thank you for your kind comments which I have shared with all the team here. I am also appreciative of your constructive feedback about other elements of your stay. We are continuously striving to improve on the amenities and facilities we offer our guests at Peppers Guest House and your feedback is vital for this process. I can assure you that your comments will be followed up on.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

If you take a trip to the Hunter and imagine staying in an upmarket guesthouse, I cannot think of anything more ideal. While all the advantages of staying in a place being run by a real hotel group and all the positive things that go with this...you get the charm of staying in a place that feels intimate and the staff treat you like guests in their own home...wonderful! Things like helping us enjoy wine purchased during the day while tasting to arranging dinners to even freezing meat purchased to bring back to Asia,..without one hint of a "not normal policy" type of response...again so refreshing. This goes without mentioning the generous and well landscaped grounds and just a great feel about the place. Sure in areas it could be freshened up and you at times can hear neighbors but certainly did not impact what was a great stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: they have a separate house which is great...