“Great hotel, and Kangaroos on your doorstep!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 3 Nights and Save!
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, and Kangaroos on your doorstep!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I booked here on a last minute deal for a 2 night stay on the 30th of January.

The staff on arrival seemed a little bored, but the hotel itself was amazing. Fantastic grounds (full of Kangaroos!), a lovely little pool, a great made to order breakfast, and a very specious room. We were very happy when we opened up our room.

The only downside to the visit was that there was no free wi-fi. After spending several days in Sydney were there was even free wi-fi on the ferry I was disappointed, for a pricey hotel I would have thought they would throw it in for free. It was only a minor blip though, and we were out drinking wine for most of the time anyway!

I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

Room Tip: Check out the last minute websites. We got a room for two nights for the price of one!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Mr. Bazman,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about your recent experience at the hotel.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the property. You quite rightly pointed out that the grounds are fantastic and we are treated with the special surprise of having Kangaroo’s in our gardens.

In relation to the internet charges we do charge a small fee to use the internet. This is to cover the charge that is charged onto us by the internet provider. We like to be transparent with this charge and not hide it in our rates.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked a surprise night away for my 30th birthday, organised babysitting for our young children and a special dinner at Chez Pok with friends. When booking he was told that they had a two not minimum stay, he explained that we could only stay one night, the person assured him that if he paid for the two nights the one night we actually stayed for would be incredibly special. He was promised a card in our beautiful garden room, complementary sparkling wine presented to us in the evening as a special birthday celebration and a cake to be brought out when we finished our meal at their restaurant Chez Pok.
There was no card in the room, the room itself was adequate and the bed comfortable but the bathroom was dated and filthy, grout missing in tiles and the remaining grout mould stained. There was hair on the tiles from previous guests and the toilet didn't flush. We went to use the sauna before dinner, we had to turn the sauna in the pool house on, 30 minutes later it was lukewarm and we gave up. We then went to dinner, on arrival no sparkling wine was presented, when checking in my husband had checked that this was arranged and was told by reception that it was noted in the booking and all ready. Our dinner experience was awful, please see my review of Chez Pok, no cake was brought out so the next morning my poor husband who was hoping to give me a wonderful surprise was very disappointed. We could have stayed at The Blue, Woolomoloo and eaten at my favourite restaurant Ottos for less money, I am appalled by the condition of the room and our treatment. The front desk staff apologised when we complained but my birthday was ruined, when you have young children any moment away is precious and Peppers Guest house ruined our precious moment.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chloe M, Front Office Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your last stay.

As per our last telephone conversation we look forward to welcoming you back to Peppers Guest House soon.

Kindest Regards

Chloe Marshall
Front Office Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We were a little nervous about booking because of some of the reviews.The staff we found to be very friendly and helpful, the room was very comfortable and quiet. The breakfast each morning delicious. We also ate at the restaurant one night and had a fantastic meal that was far superior to a meal that we had at one of the local " one hat " restaurants that we dined at. A really great stay!

• Stayed January 2013
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your recent stay at the property

I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience and found our staff to be friendly and helpful throughout your stay. I am also very pleased that you enjoyed your dining experience in our restaurant at breakfast and dinner.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Having worked in high-end hotels before, I was a bit concerned when I read the mixed reviews about this property on tripadvisor. However, our stay turned out to be wonderful. All the staff were professional, friendly and helpful. Our room was comfortable, clean and nicely furnished. The pool area had some wear and tear, but it was very pleasant and far from the nightmare I had expected after reading some exaggerated negative reviews. The buffet breakfast was delicious. The only issue we had was with the air-conditioning in the room which wasn't working properly.Unfortunately this couldn't be fixed, nor was an alternative room available, but the staff members handled the problem professionally and were able to assist with providing a portable fan. The hotel is conveniently located near the wineries, restaurants and shops. Tempus Two, Harrigan's Pub, and Hunter Valley Gardens Shopping Village are just around the corner. A special thanks to Alisha at reception, who was very welcoming and lovely at check in/check out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such a fair and honest review of your stay. It's lovely to see that your expectations were met.

Your feedback is much appreciated as your experience working in hotels would allow you to give an accurate review of our hotel and services.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our superb hotel in the future.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had a 2 night stay here last week at the experience was generally very positive. It's a shame that one or two little details stopped the venue being idyllic. The buildings and grounds are magnificent- except the pool area which really needs a major renovation. The rooms are spacious but the bathrooms are a little small with no place to store toiletries (apparently there are rooms with bathrooms which might be better.) The breakfast buffet was lovely with a wide range of dishes with eggs cooked to order if desired. A very rude eye-rolling waitress spoilt the morning a little.
I would recommend the Guesthouse as a relaxing holiday destination for all seasons.

Room Tip: Chose an upstairs room with a bath.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, January 13, 2013

I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience and would recommend Peppers Guest House as a relaxing holiday destination for all seasons.

I was hoping that you contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss your experience at the breakfast buffet. My contact number is (02) 4993 8982 as I would like to seek more information regarding the service that was provided.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I had last stayed at this hotel about 9 - 10 years ago on several separate occasions and had had very pleasant experiences each time, which I remembered fondly. My recent stay in December, which I was looking forward to, was very disappointing especially for the $363 AUD per night we paid. While the staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms, including the bathrooms, were tired and dated and need refurbishing, especially to meet the standard of a Peppers resort. By the look of the hotel photos, it appears some of the rooms may have already had this attention, but certainly not the garden wing we stayed in. I was also disappointed in the breakfast which I always remember as being special, not a very average experience. It may have had to do with the fact that we weren't informed there was also an a la carte menu. While the location is great and the original guest house building is a draw card, I would not recommend this hotel for the price we paid per night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

I am glad that you found my staff to be friendly and helpful during your return visit to the property.

I am disappointed to learn that you felt that you did not get value for your money with the room that was allocated to you. Our pricing does fluctuate during the week depending on how busy we are and do increase throughout the years.

We are ideally located as you mentioned and do hope to welcome you back for another visit in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was a great find, I don't know much about this group but their offer to help us locate options for wine tours and different types of accommodation was beyond expectations. Great follow up and help when we booked on line and when we wanted to confirm our booking.
We only stayed 1 night but I'll be recommending this to many people in the future.
Breakfast although expensive and simple (but not unusual in this region), was traditional Australian. We had travelled from Singapore and it was a quick trip with a lasting impression.

Room Tip: The beds are amazing - we stayed on the ground floor with doors that open out into the park land.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Peppers Guest House and felt that the service provided was beyond your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brian Rooney

Been to Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!