“Genteel charm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
Sydney, Australia
“Genteel charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The building gives the impression of a genteel old country homestead. Check-in was easy and pleasant. Our room was spacious and comfortable and had all the 'extras' (tea and coffee, toiletries etc) and a small private veranda that looked over a beautiful rural scene - though the outdoor furniture could have done with a bit of a clean. We had dinner in the in-house dining room - delicious meal though the servings were very small and it was quite expensive. The wait staff were friendly and attentive. There were lots of little 'sitting' rooms around the place where small groups could meet for a chat or a drink as well as a large comfortable lounge area. There is a spa and pool on site but we did not have time to see or use them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

We appreciate all our guest feedback as we aim to know exactly what matters to each of our guests.

We are glad to hear that our facilities catered for your needs during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brian Rooney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Arrived around 5.30pm and struggled to Reception Desk with our baggage only to be told that our room was outside to the right down a series of steps. (Could have been told to keep our bags by the door instead of carrying them to the Desk!)
Told there was no table available for dinner at any time that evening! However, later we saw there were plenty of spare tables, and spoke to another couple who booked a table after our enquiry and were perusing the menu in the bar! We ate in a Irish bar/restaurant down the road, not quite what we were expecting to do.
Room was very pleasant, and dinner in the restaurant the next day was very nice.
Generally received the impression that the staff were very aloof, and we were an inconvenience! Would not rush back, or recommend.
Quite expect the standard "Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for your recent stay. ........" from Brian Rooney, which also makes it look like, 'lets just pretend we care atitude'

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. We value your feedback greatly and can only learn from this whether it be a positive or negative experience.

In relation to your feedback regarding not being able to dine in our restaurant due to a private function elsewhere on the property that evening I do apologise that alternative options were not explained to you at the time of enquiring about a reservation. I have spoken to my management team regarding this and we have put together a plan to ensure this does not happen again. I am glad that you got to experience dining in our restaurant the following evening and more importantly that it was an enjoyable experience.

In relation to your feedback regarding my staff attitude I am surprised as this is something that we pride ourselves at this property. We try to ensure that all our guests are treated with the same respect and given the same professional service on a daily basis.

I do hope that we could welcome you back in the future.

Gosford NSW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The location is great., very central. The outlook from the property is really nice, through gum trees & rolling hills & vineyards. Kangaroos hop around the grounds.
The breakfast buffet is fantastic, such a great choice.
My room was in need of a bit of a redo. It looks & feels a bit tired. I had a great big chunk of wood out of my bathroom door. The bed not that comfortable, 2 singles pushed together. I noticed some gutters that had rusted holes in them. May be time for a boit of maintenance.
Reception staff, very friendly & welcoming.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Jay,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. We value your feedback greatly in aiming to provide a high level of service for all our guests.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The location is something very special and I am delighted that you made reference to your breakfast as this is something that we have focused on over the past month to enhance the product.

We understand the need to conduct a soft refurbishment in our guest rooms and this is something we have started to conduct.

Once again thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards,

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

The receptionist and other service staff were very uptight. The rooms are small and dated. The fridge was very noisy, we had to switch it off to be able to sleep, but couldn't anyway because a group of guests was very loud and there was shouting until 2 am. The atmosphere was tense and not relaxing at all.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have no balcony, but downstairs rooms have shared terrace and do not feel private. Ro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for your recent stay.

I regret the shortcomings in service you have experienced during your recent stay and will certainly address these issues with our team members.

This is not up to the Peppers standard and apologise for any disappointment you experienced during your stay.

If you have any further enquiries please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Good service but the Guest House is a little run down. I was expecting 5 star as Peppers has always had a high regard. Furniture is dated, paths are lifting, cobwebs on the outside of the building, poor quality bed linen. On the positive side, it is in a great location with a lovely outlook.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for your recent stay.

We are in the process of reviewing all our areas of the hotel and uplifting the product where required. It is true that the hotel is in a fantastic location with a wonderful outlook. We as a team need to ensure that all areas are maintained to the highest of standards throughout the grounds.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Peppers Guest House

Regards,

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Admittedly I booked this only about 3 weeks before travel so it was kinda last minute.
Particularly because the wine country is always fully booked over the weekends plus they had Opera in the Vineyards happening.
Upon Check in, front desk pointed us in the completely opposite direction to our room (we did check in about 10pm though so got night staff).
As soon as we walked in I did feel like we got one of the last available rooms left.
The hotel is a historical building but rooms felt small, claustrophobic and very dated. TV didn't work.....at all. Handle of the shower came off when I showered.
The staff were all very nice and breakfast was great for a little boutique hotel.

Probably would have preferred Spicers Estate for something special or Crowne Plaza (been the before)

Room Tip: I guess what I'm saying is this is a nice option as long as you book one of the higher room cate...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We went on a business conference trip and there were a number of us. All our rooms were of various sizes sizes. some had a bigger area between the bed and the telly. However, the rooms were adequate with enough lighting. Very country style. It is very clean.

Bed was large and comfy and if you need extra pillows, they were given out willingly. The room had a small fridge, a telly but no DVD player which was no big deal, since you are there to enjoy the surroundings rather than stay in the room to watch telly.

There is a small fridge with a small packet of milk, enough for one pot of tea or coffee and a kettle.

The bath room is clean, with enough towels and also there is the usual body lotion, shampoo etc. all arranged neatly. The bath room space is not big but enough to get around. No complaints there. There is even another additional 2 colourful towels in the cupboard and it can be used when you go swimming etc.

Check in and check out was easy. Reception staff were always smiling and they were easy to deal with.The Bar was where we were most of the time,and while there was usually no one there, the minute the receptionist notices this, she will call some one out to serve us. So that is ok.

Now here is my complaint !

Breakfast bar starts at 7am. So as with most places, you would expect everything to be up and running and ready by 7am, if however, the place is running late, that is fine. We are all humans and we will run late for work , at some point in our life or other.

However,on the morning that we were all checking out, the boss needed to be out and driving by 7.30am back into the city of Sydney. That is a trip of about an hour and a half or 2 hours. We walked in at 7am and the lady was running late. She explained that the food has been laid out differently and she is having problems laying things out on time. That is ok with me .No problems there. I did ask her for a pot to put the tea in as I couldnt find any. She did come back with the pot a little while later. After we had the initial bowl of fruit, ( this is about 10-15 mins later), I decided to try their Benedict Omelette that they would have to cook for you.

I went to the bar where this elderly waitress was, there was a screen glass door between us, i knocked on the glass door and you could see her mouthed off : FOR [--] SAKE !!!! try saying this in a mirror, it is not hard to see what I mean and plus, I did lip reading for the legal department before. I didnt tell her off but I do want to tell management that this is an unacceptable behaviour. She didnt know what I was going to ask for. I wasnt demanding or pounding at the door. and this is not the way I wanted to be greeted in the morning by the breakfast waitress!!!!!!!!!!!

I even told her that I was ordering the cooked breakfast ut she could take her time and let the kitchen know as I still had time to spare.

What ever reason it is, she is in customer service, mouthing off, even if the customer cant hear it, is just not on. I would not let my staff do this at all to my customers. this is just not professional.

other than that, the breakfast bar was good. there is cooked breakfast if you want to plus there are organic teas.

Hopefully, managment will speak to this elderly waitress. She was working with a young bar man on the morning on Wed 10th October.

Would I stay there again? Yes cos it is a nice country style place, restaurant had good food but dont be a rush to get on the road or you could be facing this woman !!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brian R, General Manager at Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for your recent stay.

I was hoping that you could contact me directly on 02 4993 8982 to discuss the concern raised in your feedback at your earliest convenience.

Brian Rooney

Been to Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley? Share your experiences!