I had high hopes for our stay, as this property has been highly regarded since opening in the late 1980's, however, it seems time has not treated Peppers GH well! Our rooms was in a lovely position, ground floor, looking out into the vast gardens, the room was pleasantly decorated, however, our room had a broken plantation shutter, the actual shades on the lamps were badly in need of replacing. When you turned them on, the lining was all broken. The actual inner lining of the shades were perishing; it looked horrible when lit. Also, our toilet sisten was broken. This didn't stop it being usable, however, for the cost of a room at Peppers GH, this is unacceptable. Unfortunately, sound-proofing is not good.. our neighbour had to shower at 0600 each morning and the water sound through the wall was enough to wake me each day.
Peppers misses the little things, like no milk in the room fridge (for tea/coffee making), no free Wifi, the staff do not go out of their way to welcome you. I never heard a good morning, not even from the manager, who would just walk by. Even the carpet in the main lobby has "creeped", however, staff do not seem to bother to re-centre it! Breakfast buffet was included for our stay, with interesting organic teas, however, if you wanted coffee, it cost you $4...
Peppers has an in-house restaurant, and each afternoon, the front desk ring your room, to solicit patronage at Sanctuary, however, again, the little things missed the staff, is to me, what let Peppers down.. like a candalabra with numerous blown light bulbs (9 lights, 3 were blown). Also worn carpet! We ate at Sanctuary one night which was pleant enough, however, there are some wonderful restaurants in the Hunter Valley, so I would certainly recommend TripAdvisor for a very good listing.
However, I have to say, it was lovely to sit outside our room in the evenings, with a nice glass of wine and watch the kangroos graze
- Also Known As:
- Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley Hotel
- Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley Hotel Pokolbin
- Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of NSW's Hunter Valley wine country, Peppers Guest House is one of the Hunter Valley's best loved retreats, offering a stylish accommodation base for exploring the region. Surrounded by beautiful gardens and overlooking vineyards, its intimate, relaxed atmosphere, the comfort and elegance of its hotel accommodation, and a long-standing reputation for exceptionally fine food and wine at Chez Pok restaurant, ensure that guests return to Peppers Guest House year after year. 24 hour reception available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Tingo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com and Venere so you can book your Peppers Guest House, Hunter Valley reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.