“Don't be fooled by the glossy brochures!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Cypress Lakes Resort By Oaks Hotels & Resorts

You added Cypress Lakes Resort By Oaks Hotels & Resorts to your Saves list
Cypress Lakes Resort By Oaks Hotels & Resorts
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   9 Thompsons Rd. (Cnr McDonalds & Thompsons Rd.), Pokolbin, Pokolbin, New South Wales 2320, Australia (Formerly Cypress Lakes Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay Longer and Save!
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Pokolbin
A TripAdvisor Member
“Don't be fooled by the glossy brochures!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2005

My husband and I spent 2 nights of a 5 day vacation in Sydney at the Cypress Lakes Resort.

We reviewed their website and thought the photos/brochures looked pretty good. I must admit we chose this resort because of its facilities. Although we don't play golf I wanted to spend some time at the spa. I also needed to relax and spend some time with my husband before a 10 day business trip in Sydney and Melbourne.

We arrived in a Sunday evening just as it got dark and discovered a big group of executives had just finished checking in. There was no one to greet us at the lobby and no one to tell us where to park our car while we checked in.

The staff at the reception were very rude. My husband dropped me off so that I could check-in while he looked for a parking spot but no one seemed to notice I was waiting to check-in even after my husband spent a long time looking for a parking spot.

When they finally noticed that I had been waiting for a long time, the staff shoved a piece of paper in my hands and told me to complete it.

In all the 5 star hotels I have stayed at in the world... hold on, how about just in Australia since Australian 5 star service is not the same as Hong Kong or US 5 star service... anyway, in all the 5 star Australian hotels I have stayed at NO ONE has SHOVED a piece of paper in my hand, then TOLD me to complete the form and then gave me my keys WITHOUT telling me where my room was located in the resort.

This was quite a big resort, the rooms (or "villas" as the called them) were located in different areas in the resort. They didn't bother to ask whether we were familiar with the resort, not even when we told them it was our first stay at the resort and we didn't know where our villa was located. They SHOVED another piece of paper (a map) in my hands and told me it was all self-explanatory. I was NOT impressed. I didn't pay to stay at a 5-star resort with service like this.

They didn't bother to introduce us to the facilities, my husband and I were so lost we spend a good part of the evening reading the resort manual (luckily we're educated and can read lots of pages even though we had just survived a long haul flight).

Although there were lots of luggage desk staff wandering around with luggage carts, no one bothered to ask if we needed assistance with our luggage. Luckily we were only staying 2 nights and didn't have any major disabilities or back problems so we carried our bags to our room. We were also lucky our room was located on ground level so we didn't have to climb any stairs!

The room was definitely nothing near a villa. I've stayed in villas in SE Asia (ie., Phuket, Bali, Philippines, Malaysia, etc) so maybe I have mis-interpreted the meaning of a "villa" but I was pretty sure we were checked into a one-bedroom ROOM, not a one-bedroom VILLA.

We were given a room with a large living room that almost the same size of our bedroom. There was a sliding door which separated the room and bedroom.

The room was fine and comfortable. The bathroom was pretty big. Everything was clean but there were people partying nearby until sometime past midnight so I could hardly sleep the first night.

We were so disgusted by the service we got at check-in we decided to eat out for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I went to the spa but the massage I got was mediocre... nothing compared to the Observatory or Four Seasons in Sydney. I thought everything was overpriced but the ladies at the spa were pretty accommodating when I inquired about changing my appointment.

We visited the gift shop and noticed a HUGE group of company executives (all men) getting ready to play golf.

I would recommend staying here only if you're in a huge group and don't care about personal service. We paid AUD240 for a one-bedroom villa (discounted rate) but I thought the room was worth no more than AUD170.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2005

The stay in this hotel was my most terrible experience I ever had.

First at check-in, the receptionist told me this hotel has no COTS. She lied because they had but just some.

The breakfast was terrible. One morning I had to wait 30 minutes to my coffee. I felt like I was on a US$1 Buffet in a cheap Vegas hotel.

They couldn't repair my safe during my stay of 4 nights. The ring didn't work either. The door between sleeping room and dining room couldn't close properly.

On the first evening the housekeeping waked me up at ten (pm) and told me some greetings from the reception.

Because the stay was prepaid I could not go to another hotel.

They sell the rooms for half price if you book in advance and only thru their system.

Bristol uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2003

Cypress lakes is a large purpose built resort, centered around a magnificent 18 hole championship golf course.
has all the facilities one would expect from a resort of this quality, high standard of accommodation, excellent health spa facilities, great golf, great views from all accommodation, 2 restaurants providing better than average fare.
ideally set in the Hunter Valley wine region, so a bonus for wine buffs.
we stayed 2 nights and enjoyed ourselves, only downside perhaps is scale, it is a very large resort and can be a bit soulless.

Been to Cypress Lakes Resort By Oaks Hotels & Resorts? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Cypress Lakes Resort By Oaks Hotels & Resorts

Address: 9 Thompsons Rd. (Cnr McDonalds & Thompsons Rd.), Pokolbin, Pokolbin, New South Wales 2320, Australia (Formerly Cypress Lakes Resort)
Location: Australia > New South Wales > Greater Newcastle > Pokolbin
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Parking Kitchenette Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool
#4 Top resorts Hotel in Pokolbin
#6 Spa Hotel in Pokolbin
#9 Luxury Hotel in Pokolbin
Hotel Class:4.5 star — Cypress Lakes Resort By Oaks Hotels & Resorts 4.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Ctrip TA, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Cypress Lakes Resort By Oaks Hotels & Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Cypress Lakes Hotel Pokolbin
Cypress Lakes Pokolbin
Cypress Lake Resort
Cypress Lakes Resort By Oaks Hotels & Resorts Greater Newcastle/Pokolbin

If you own or manage Cypress Lakes Resort By Oaks Hotels & Resorts, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.