“Perfect for BACKPACKERS!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

krinklewood Cottage & Carriages
333 Palmers Lane, Pokolbin, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
“Perfect for BACKPACKERS!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I to work in the travel industry. I am a believer that you get what you pay for, and I can say that this is NOT worth it. Myself and a group of ladies were so very excited about our weekend away, a girls weekend with no children or husbands where we could relax by the pool with a great magazine, sip on some cocktails, have a beautiful dinner out somewhere nice, the general "Girls Weekend" away stuff. When we arrived our first impression of the place was of pure shock, the kind of shock that drains all the blood from your head to the end of your toes, that overwhelming feeling that something is not quite right.

I am not quite sure what overwhelmed us the most, the above ground pool that looked like something out of the 70ies, the so called spa, which looked like it have not been used in over 10 years, the lack of anything green, the broken tennis racquets which were provided to play on the very run down court, the old couch on the porch of the cottage that looked like it was slept on by the numerous, not so friendly dogs, the miss matched bed linen on the beds or the fact that we were expected to pay $1500 a night for a cottage that slept 10 people that had ONE TOILET. This is what I would expect to get if I was paying $20 a night.

We kept our thoughts to ourselves (our faces told a very different story) and proceeded to check the inside of the cottage. It was quaint and appeared clean. However on further inspection were disgusted to find swarms of flies in the bathroom, two very small 90 degree ladders to the loft rooms, which we would have to climb up and down (very dangerous), and no fly screens. Given that the day was extremely hot, the fact that we could not open the door to get a breeze was awful. I note that we were never informed that they offered air conditioning, but with the heat pushing high 30ies and given the cost, I would have assumed it a standard practice to provide this to clients.

When we confronted the owner lady regarding our concerns she flew directly into the offensive position and from there it was very hard to bring her back. I think that the saying the customer is always right is definitely missing from her work practices/ethics. While deep in discussion with the owner lady and while standing in the living area of the cottage surrounded by many flies, a wasp and a dog, a very large lizard came out from under the couch, now I know living in Sydney we don’t normally get lizards, so when we were confronted with one as big as my foot, of course we were frightened and ran screaming from the cottage. The lovely owner lady inferred that it was just a small lizard and not to worry as it would, I quote “Eat the flies”!!!! I can guarantee that if there was a lizard, then the snake would not have been far away.

A decision was made by us to leave to discuss our options. Whilst exiting the property we were confronted by a very aggressive barking dog, apparently it was a rescue dog, now I am no dog expert but I would have thought that bringing a rescue dog into an environment where many different people come and go, is not the best idea. We decided to send the lady owner an email to advise her that we would not be returning. We headed to our air-condition 2 x 2 bedroom apartments, 4 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms at the Cypress Lakes Resort where we could fulfill all our girls weekend away dreams, at less than the cost of the Krinklewood cottages.

The lady owner later replied to our email where she told us that “Karma would get us”….. the karma is on you lady!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
ACT. Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I don't like to write bad reviews for anything, working in the hospitality and travel industry I am acutely aware of a whinging and unrealistic public. So it pains me to write this, a less than complimentary review.

Let me start this by first pointing out the positives. The bathroom was clean, and kids would love it as they would a cubby house or play ground.

I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for....and in this instance we paid $1200 for the "Safari" carriage for a 2 nights stay, so I was expecting something that I was at least going to be comfortable in.

Upon entry to the train carriage, one could detect the faint aroma of musky and damp wood, which may have well been from the rain and subsequent heat, and septic tanks outside. Not all that pleasant. As it was a very hot day, we opened the window to try and air the place out, only to find that not all the windows were able to be opened, and the ones that did, had ill fitting fly screen so the bugs were able to get in. We also found that we had a "pet" lizard running around the carriage....and who know's what else.....

There's a sign saying something about if its raining, not to walk into the carriages with muddy feet as the clay outside is hard to get out of the carpet, and charges would apply if this happened. This is a joke, as you really have no choice if you are to get from your car to the carriage as there is no other way to get there than to walk over the "path" provided.

The temperature that day was about 38-40 degrees. The "carriage" effectively captured the heat and contained it for much of the evening. These carriages are not air conditioned. I would expect this to be essential in such a location and for the prices charged. 2 "Fans" are provided. They are ineffective on warm days.

The Safari Carriage has 2 toilets and one bathroom. Hardly adequate for effectively, a carriage which sleeps 8 adults (we had less than 8 people and it was not adequate). The sleeping compartments have no place for luggage, and if you are over 6ft, prepare to not be able to fully extend in the "bed".

The above ground "pool" looked like something that was spirited away from the Brady Bunch era, and should have been used as a yabby farm rather than a swimming pool for paying customers. The "spa", should be retired.

After dinner we reluctantly returned back to the carriage to try and sleep. This was impossible in the heat of the carriages. As I lay with my head near the 3 inches that my window would open trying to catch the some fresh air from outside, sweating in the "bed", I had bugs flying around my head, and sticking to my sweaty skin.

There was no way I was going to get to sleep....no way any of us were going to get any sleep. I decided at midnight that I could stay awake all night and have the rest of the weekend wrecked or I could get out there and then. My partner and I grabbed our bags (that were in another room as our bags didn't fit in the sleep compartments if you recall), and left. Luckily the Sebel, Kirkton Park which is only about 10 km's away have 24hr reception and we were able to get a lovely fresh, comfortable and airconditioned room for $179 a night.

The next day our companions who roughed it through the night also left, unable to spend another moment there, and checked into the Sebel with us for the remainder of the stay.

So it was en expensive weekend effectively doubling the cost of our accommodation. A lesson well learned.

They say that they are within walking distance of the 2 concert venues in the area....yes, maybe they are if you Kerry Saxby, an Olympic walker with a good strong torch, as its a fair distance and dark. I wouldn't be walking it at night.

For $600 a night with a 2 night minimum, you expect more, and at a minimum, at least air conditioning, and some basic toiletries (soap and shampoo). You do not get this.

Not sure what the other carriages are like, so can only comment on the Safari. This is basic accommodation.

Fawlty Towers is alive and well in the Hunter Valley,

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
wineblonde, Owner at krinklewood Cottage & Carriages, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
It is also sad for an owner to have a review that is less than honest. Firstly the weekend in question was the cancelled the George Michael Concert weekend (nothing to do with me).When guests book they take away the opportunity for other guests to book and December is a big wedding month. The Guests are informed that cancellation is not possible unless we can replace them and in this instance the guests couldnt be replaced and came under protest. The price of $1200 is for 8 people for a two night stay $150.00 per person for a two night stay - Highway Robbery - really. This is one of my most popular carriages. I have many people that come to two or three concerts a year and choose this carriage. It is also very popular with the girls for Hens weekends. The carriage has had in excess of $100,000 spent on it. Yes the day they arrived was the hottest December day recorded and that was outside of my control. I do not advertise air-conditioning and the fans are usually sufficient. The Hunter generally has a hot day but a cool night. All the mattresses have been specially made for comfort a mixture of latex and innerspring. I object to the smell the carriages are very clean and since we havent had rain for a long time it would be hard for them to be damp. We do not have septic tanks outside the carriage they are at least a couple of kilometres away. At the end of the carriage is the Water Tank.. The windows have been designed to open every second window and these have flyscreens that are new. We are in the country and occasionally a little gecko will run in , but it runs straight back out does not go near anyone - what a sad comment . The sign asking people to remove shoes if it is raining is to ensure the carpets are not damaged for future guests and to keep the place nice- wouldnt you remove your shoes at home if it was raining? There is a mat in the entrance Hallway for you to step on if it is raining - never had any problems from guests with this.The description of the carriage layout is on the website and works very well with the bathroom and toilets. The luggage fits under the bed. The aboveground pool was new and the garden was being reconstructed, however it was very safe as it had been blocked off where the gardens were not finished. The spa is $15,000 and to my knowledge these guests never attempted to go in this, it is a lovely spa seating 10 people - previous guests have had a lot of fun in it. Comment $179.00 Sebel yes per night you only paid $150.00 for two nights.I did not have any complaints and in fact when the guests left in the afternoon they told me everything was fine they had a sick child and had to go home and as they would have left in the morning they said the parents were stressed and they thought it would be best to get home. We are within walking distance to Hope Estate 1.4 klm from the Coach entrance to my gate. The carriages are fully self catering , I tell all guests this. You know , I do care about my customers and most of my bookings are by word of mouth and I do everything to make the guests welcome and comfortable. Marie Owner.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Very unique accommodation in old railway carriages. The Royal carriage we stayed in was decorated in old period style befitting of the carriage. Spa was good and just what you need to warm you up on a cold winters morning. The heater in the carriage could have done with being warmer as it struggled to heat the carriage. Overall we enjoyed our stay here. Location was very peaceful yet close to the centre of wine attractions. Owner was very helpful and friendly

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

The carriages are fun, though tired and in need of upgrading.

The location is fantastic, quiet and with plenty of wildlife however the scenery around the carriages is pretty average and in need of landscaping.

The spa in our royal' carriage was big and deep...
But keep turning off and overloading staying on maybe 20% of the time..
(electrical work badly needed all round really)

The power went off 6 times the night we were there due to dodgy power boards and overloading in other carriages. Unacceptable as I was trying to watch sport, read, listen to music etc.

For the money you pay the standards are not up there.
The beds are just dreadful, my partner developed a very sore back over the 3 nights we stayed.

Coming as a big group may be fun in the larger carriages but as a honeymoon destination....I don't think so...!
As a novelty its a great place to stay, but apart from that, I'd stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
wineblonde, Owner at krinklewood Cottage & Carriages, responded to this review, February 5, 2011
Unfortunately I was away on the days this couple stayed as my father passed away. The property has all new underground cabling , every bit of electrical is new all boards etc. Large cables were put in however, the weekend in question we had a group of ladies in the largest carriage that bought with them additional fan heaters and 14 ladies using every piece of electrical equipment and hairdryers overloaded the system which was unfortunate for the other guests. However it was a matter of throwing a switch to get it back on. The spa goes off after 20 mins is on a timer as most spas are. The climate is harsh and the gardens go through stages of beautiful and then very dry. Cant argue, I am continually landscaping but it is a never ending battle to keep plants surviving. Now the bed, mystify's me as everyone wants to take this bed home. All my beds are great quality, this one has an eggshell topper and woolrest, may have been two soft but I have never had a complaint before as I said everyone loves it. My walls are all rosewood, spent $100,000 on this carriage and I know the gentleman wanted to cancel at the last minute and once he knew he had to pay he came ,begrudingly and I saw him on the Friday night, unfortunately had to fly out at 4.00 am Sat morn to NZ. (would have given anything to not take that flight). Have many repeat customers in the Royal and lots and lots of referrals.

Been to krinklewood Cottage & Carriages? Share your experiences!