“Not as good as before” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bluetongue Cafe

Bluetongue Cafe
Corner Hermitage Road & Mistletoe Lane, Pokolbin, New South Wales 2320, Australia
+61 2 4998 7777
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #36 of 52 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: An authentic Italian dish always starts with the best flour, garden fresh tomatoes, and the best quality local produce. Then of course matched to a great wine. Sound simple ... We make all our own pasta and sauces from scratch , in the traditional Italian way. Our restaurant also features a glass fronted air-conditioned wine cellar where we have wines from all over the world including some rare vintage wines from local private cellars.
“Not as good as before”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I visited the brewery 2 years ago and liked it a lot so I was disappointed by my visit on 21 July 2013.

Beer tasted watered down and flat and $15 for the tasting paddle with 5 sub standard beers in nothing much more than a shot glass is too much ( I normally drink Asahi or coopers).

My $17 pepperoni pizza (cheapest pizza on the menu) was burnt and taste less. Domino's should really set up a shop next door and they would be killing it even if they were to charge slightly more than usual.

Food was expensive for the quality and portion given and I will not be visiting again.

• 2 of 5 stars Food

Thirroul
“Not so posh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

the beer was lovely and cold. The service wasn't bad and the salad we ordered was pretty good. It lacked the pretentiousness of the other cafes and restaurants in the area which made for a nice change.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Terrible food and service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Visited this cafe/pub on 7th July as part of my Hunter Valley trip and must say this was the worst part of the trip.

Staff service at the bar was rude, ordered the flagship beer paddle but staff was annoyed when asked about the product.
Food was slow and atrocious, chicken mushroom pasta was tasteless and watery, pizza base was undercooked, crispy pork belly was not crispy but soggy and roast potatoes were undercooked.

Place like this really makes me feel like pouring my remainder 4 bottles of bluetongue beer down the drain so i don't have to be reminded how embarrassed i was to recommend this place to my friends.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We went here for an early dinner & I was a little cautious after reading the reviews on tripadvisor. The atmosphere was standard but the food (pizza & pork belly with pork & fennel sausages) was some of the best I have ever had. Definitely worth a visit ...Yum!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, Australia
“Places like this give the Hunter a bad rep....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Terrible is an understatement! I am so disappointed we wasted a meal at this place when there are so many other tastier options available in the Hunter Valley. The service is lacklustre and the food is a let down.The chicken pie, at $14, was so inedible (due to the thick layer of oil sitting on top) that we returned it. Our replacement meal was then also stuffed up. Disappointing. Do yourself a favour and eat somewhere else.

• Visited June 2013