“Lovely unpretentious find!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 56 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Lovely unpretentious find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stopped for lunch last Sunday. The restaurant has a lovely rustic bar area, furnished with old English style leather couches. We were seated here whilst we waited to be seated at our table. I got a bit impatient and was about to leave after waiting for about 10 minutes, but the waitress caught us just in time - she'd been busy taking an order at a table of 15, which explained the delay. We was chirpy and friendly. We had one of the baked breads and I had the mushroom & leek soup which was delicious. My wife had one of their house specialities, the deep dish Chicken Pie. It was freshly baked, steaming hot and delicious. Perfect for a wet cold Sunday afternoon in the Hunter! The food & drinks are reasonably priced. Atmosphere was laid back with log fires burning inside & on enclosed patio seating area.

That evening, after scouring the local dining guide and online guides and finding very few options other than high priced, pretentious sounding places, we checked to see whether Blaxlands was open on a Sunday night, and we went back for dinner.
I had a really delicious steak, and my wife had the Atlantic salmon which she said was delicious. For dessert, I,had a Vanilla bean Cheese Cake and my wife had Hot Rhubarb and Apple crumble. Both were tops. We pigged out but finishing with a board of 100grams of fruit & nut chocolate and Tea & Coffee. I highly recommend Blaxlands.

Sydney, Australia
“Nice food, Shame about the table position”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went to dinner with friends at this restaurant. I will say at this point that the food was lovely and our waitress was a nice person and attentive. The Manager was stressed out and being "TOTALLY BOOKED OUT" luckily we had a booking, we were seated at a table next to a door onto the outdoor seating area. Very cold on Saturday night in Pokolbin. We requested to be moved to another empty table. That request was too difficult as they were all booked. There were many empty tables around us so we were perplexed as to why it was such a difficult request. We were made to wait for our dinner for what seemed like an eternity whilst every man, woman and child came through that door and left it open, even though I and our waitress closed it many many times. I couldn't wait to leave and get back to some warmth. So it wasn't a pleasant experience for us sadly. Might I suggest that if anyone else books this restaurant that they ask not to be seated near the door to the outside seating area during winter.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Meat Pies to Die for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The meat pies which we enjoyed last evening were among the best we have ever tasted. Juicy, full of tasty meat with crisp pastry on top, and enormous.

The service from the staff was also excellent, prompt, polite and helpful. Add to this free transport to and from our villa and it was an evening to remember.

Well done Blaxlands - we will look forward to a return visit!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“love”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We love the pick and drop this restaurant has at no extra cost. This is my 3rd time there the food is great the place is cosy with an open fireplace inside.

“A lovely homely meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stopped in here to refuel for lunch whilst on our wine tour with Hunter Valley Safaris and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was nice and hearty and the restaurant provided a cosy escape from the cold. I would definitely go back to enjoy the food....
In particular the garlic bread!