“OWNER TAKES TIPS” 2 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert
“OWNER TAKES TIPS”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I came here with a girlfriend a little while ago, and we were seated inside. I thought the food was expensive for the quality, (which i could have cooked at home) but was happy with $5 corkage we were charged for multiple bottles. It is supposed to be a restaurant but its more like a cafe. It was fairly quiet, there was no music so we could hear everything that was going on in the kitchen. This tinny static music was blaring, and it only got turned down when people started having a really loud argument! Like blowing up, banging things, yelling and screaming at each other etc. Not very nice when your trying to enjoy your dinner together, we heard everything! And then, when we were the only table left, they started talking rudely about some of the customers that night and dividing up the tips,WHICH they were setting some aside for the owner! I thought tips were for good service in AU? I am worried about who gets the tip now.

Visited August 2013

Brisbane
“Best Coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Food is quite good and authentic, but the best coffee ever. The place to go in Newcastle for sure for me. We are always happy here.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Not the place to eat if you like quality food or value.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

While my companion and I were browsing the menu out the front of the cafe, an older gentleman greeted us and told us that everything was cooked fresh and ensured us that we wouldn't be disappointed, so we decided to give it a try.
We were seated outside by a heater and shortly after our waitress came to take our order.
I ordered the gnocchi ($17.50) with napoli sauce, while my companion had the tomato bruschetta.
I can honestly say it was the worst gnocchi I've ever had. The potato was mushy, the napoli sauce was horribly watery and there was little flavour. The serving size is certainly not generous, but given the complete absence of flavour, it's a good thing. I didn't try the bruschetta, but my companion wasn't impressed with it at all.
While the service was good enough, the food leaves a LOT to be desired.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“I'm not eating anywhere else in Newcastle until I've had everything on the menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I have dined at Little Swallows four times for dinner and once for lunch, eating a different meal every time, and I have yet to make a complaint. If you want delicious Italian cuisine and excellent service then this is the place to go. I find myself craving their pastas on a weekly basis (which are an excellent price!) and I cannot choose a favourite; all are deletable! Meals are, on average, $20 whether that be pasta, pizza etc. which, I believe, is a perfect price for such high quality food. As for the service, the lovely waitress who always serves me offers great recommendations and makes herself available should ever I need to ask her anything. The menu is entirely adaptable should you wish to add/remove any undesired ingredients or substitute a different type of pasta or sauce eg. So glad I found a restaurant I love so much! Love Little Swallows!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, Australia
“Typical friendly Italian”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

A friendly, low-key Italian place. The owner seems to wander around chatting, oblivious to how the restaurant is operating. Food is average, but hearty and enjoyable. Good location, with indoor and outdoor seating.

Visited May 2013