“Not what I expected but still good” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #188 of 357 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Irish
“Not what I expected but still good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Had the soft shell crab and for this 'Arresting deal' one can't do much better. Improved serving sizes and portions but the problem was it just simply wasn't as good as previous years. Right idea, disappointing approach with new recipe. Lots of potential, please don't go downhill...

Sydney
“T'was good value too be sure...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had a late dinner in the large dining room of this Irish Pub. We chose it because it seemed good value and had several gluten free choices. The staff were nice but did not look very happy that night, the young lady behind the bar had just had her wisdom teeth removed, but not sure about the others! The lamb shanks are listed as gluten free but when ordered we informed that they were dredged in a little flour...so back to the menu again. My son chose the veal cutlet instead, but we were told that the gnocchi it was served with was also glutinous. Everyone was happy when we suggested substituting mashed potato. He enjoyed it immensely, as my younger son his risotto and I my Scotch Fillet (hmm, should that have been an Irish?). My gluten eating husband had the steak sandwich. The meals were generous, tasty and hot. Did not realise that they also have accommodation, but will remember for our next visit. Perhaps management can confer with the kitchen to get the gluten free choices sorted, but please don't take away any of the options! GF flour is easily obtainable and would be fine for everyone. Ireland is rife with Coeliac Disease.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Regular visitor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

I stay at the Northern Star fairly regularly when travelling to Newcastle for work. I have to say I am reluctant to provide this review, for fear of it becoming too popular and not being able to get a room.

The rooms are immaculately clean and quite well appointed, with plenty of hot water. They are by no means flashy but extremely comfortable and very reasonably priced considering they've been recently renovated.

The restaurant is very good, if there is a down side it is that they do not serve breakfast (rooms have a fridge, kettle and toaster) but, you're on Beaumont Street, so there's heaps of great places for breakfast.

Visited November 2013
Wollongong, Australia
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Had dinner here twice. First night the Scotch fillet was delicious. I liked the place so much I returned the following night and had the risotto which was good. Service was very good, friendly attentive staff. The restaurant which is attached to the pub is really cozy and welcoming. Would definitely return when in Newcastle again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“A real surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We went here looking for lunch because we were nearby and thought it would do. What a surprise it was with a great menu and also very good beer (inc James Squire) and cider choices. The Pie and a Pint deal came with a really good pie with succulent meat and rich gravy - a cut above what you would expect in a pie at a pub. I had crispy skinned pork belly which was melt in your mouth delicious. We will definitely be back as it is well above the standard of others in this area.

• Visited August 2013