“Grand old Hotel. Quality appointments.Nice atmosphere. Views Magnificent.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach

You added Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach to your Saves list
Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Shortland Esplanade and Zaara St, Newcastle, New South Wales 2300, Australia   |
Special Deal
$10 Dining Credit
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Newcastle
Bellingen, Australia
“Grand old Hotel. Quality appointments.Nice atmosphere. Views Magnificent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is probably my second favourite Hotel throughout the World.
Despite Bookings.com fouling up the booking, the helpful staff were able to sort out the problem within minutes and provided alternative suite accommodation.
The accommodation was excellent as always. As this was to be a special occasion on our way to Sydney the staff ensured that we were not disappointed.
Watching the surfers and the Hang Gliders from the room is a lovely relaxing way to spend the afternoon.
The Hotel is also undergoing refurbishment at the moment, however, this was not intrusive.
The car park is quite tight so it does pay to get to the Hotel earlier rather than later.

Room Tip: Parking is at no cost but is limited. Wise to arrive early. Excellent views from almost every room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel's got that old style to it but is properly maintained.
Great location only being across the road from Newcastle beach.

Meal service was excellent, food was great and had a great view as well.
I would go back next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Ballarat, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I adore this hotel, though I admit I liked it better before it was renovated. I've been staying here on business since 1998, because the location makes me love life. It's superb. The ocean views are so close and so real, you can literally taste the surf in the air when you open the balcony door, and on wild nights you can hear the waves thrashing.
It's a classic 1960s build, with pebble-crete personal balconies, less than a metre in depth, but heaven sent. The fittings and style of the place are secondary - and fairly average - but the view and the location makes this one of my all time fave places to stay anywhere in Australia. You can walk into the city within 10 mins, or take a morning stroll to the lighthouse. You can bathe in the classic art deco public ocean pool nearby. You can hang out at dusk on the beach and suck in the ocean air.
I wouldn't bother dining in the restaurant myself - it's catering more for local special events and - birthdays, business groups etcetera. It is therefore a bit exxie and over-formal in an old-fashioned and small town / claustrophobic sort of way, but there's an increasing amount of good eateries in fairly close range of the hotel. The bar staff here have never been very interested in wine, in my experience, and that seems a long-standing loss, because most visitors genuinely want to try a quality Hunter Valley Semillion, and would like the bar staff to at least try to take an interest in wine knowledge, or even just pretend to care. My colleague and I found the bar woman aggressive on this recent visit. She treated the customers with disdain and disrespect (all of them, not just us) - She spoke to us as though we were idiots, and even thought it relevant to complain about her personal life. It was really inappropriate. We were very polite, but walked away a bit shocked frankly.
Superb location though, so next time I stay there, I'll just drink elsewhere, as well as dine elsewhere - Simple! Reception staff at Noah's are lovely and very professional, by the way. Shame about the bar staff letting the team down.

Room Tip: Try to be on the 3rd floor level or higher, so you don't feel you're sitting on the roof of...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Wangaratta, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stay here sometimes on my way through Newcastle, and I really like it. The location is superb, and the view is fantastic to wake up to. The restaurant is also worth a visit, and all in all I can recommend this hotel. I'll be back real soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We arrived in Newcastle at about 11.30 am, and thought we might as well look in at the hotel and let them know we'd arrived, even though check-in wasn't until 2 pm. We had a very cheerful reception at the desk and were told that the room was ready, and we could move in straight away if we wished. So we did just that. The room was very clean, and had everything we needed. Wonderful view of the beach through a wide window, and although we didn't have access to the narrow balcony, we could open the window a little to let in fresh sea air and the sound of the waves (which was very soporific at night). Bed was very comfortable, and sturdy curtains made the room nice and dark at night. The room was very quiet, apart from the sound of the surf. Also, the hotel seemed to have lots of parking, and we were able to park in a covered space. Lovely walks by the ocean and riverside were close at hand. What more could one ask?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Our stay at Noah's was ordinary. It is in dire need of updating. . We had wet carpet in our room, due to the severe weather which after the second day started to smell.They did offer us free breakfast due to the problem. I thought the management were excellent. We found the parking very difficult, as my husband has a disability, and the only parking available was on the spare lot, with very uneven muddy surround,due to a wedding taking place in the hotel. I think they could perhaps put in some ACROD parking bays. We would have been happy to pay. There seemed to be no control over who parked there, and consequently it was open to anyone, and the paying guests were left outside.I think it was a bit pricey for what you get. The staff were very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Boat Harbour, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The restaurant food was lovely, the Staff were friendly although a little absent minded,may have been due to the fact that they were setting up for a wedding that night,
The set course menu was good value and we had the Duck and The Creme Brulee for a dessert, and it was beautifully cooked and presented. My husband had the steak which was cooked to perfection, It is an older crowd, which suited us fine, although we missed out on a table at the window as we only booked the day before. We will definely go back, Lovely ambience, and quality food at a good price.

Room Tip: I am only reviewing the Restaurant
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach? Share your experiences!