“Disappointing dining experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ducks Crossing on Burton

You added Ducks Crossing on Burton to your Saves list
Ducks Crossing on Burton
4.0 of 5 Ranch   |   50 Burton Road, Newcastle, New South Wales 2282, Australia   |
“Disappointing dining experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband recently took me to Quackers for my birthday dinner. I had been really looking forward to this after reading about it over the years and having a friend say it was good. For a restaurant that is touted as fine dining I was firstly disappointed with the decor which I could best describe as rustic country. The service was great, the waitress whom I could imagine was the owner was most congenial and attentive. The food however, was just not amazing. We had tasting plates for both entree and main and while the food was ok it was nothing special. Dessert was also ok. Maybe I went with high expectations but for $250 for 2 people I would have expected a bit of wow. A disappointing birthday dinner!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
littledog14, Owner at Ducks Crossing on Burton, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
To address this review.
I have left a message on your phone to contact me.
As the owner I wish to make you aware that the decor is and always was meant to be country eco and rustic as that is how we were allowed to build on rural land. It doesn't have to appeal to everyone so for that I am sorry.
As the waitperson on the night you attended the restaurant I did meal checks on every course that you had and you expressed that the food was fine and you were enjoying, even on paying I asked again.
If the problem had existed then it would have been wiser to address the situation to us rather then use a social media to be detrimental to me and my business.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I went to Duck's Crossing with high expectations but was very disappointed.

I see the owners have described the food as "delicate" in response to another review - having been to high tea at a number of locations in Sydney and Melbourne, all I can say is the portions were small and rather inadequate, the quality was not up to par and the service left much to be desired. There was really only one lady there who was really friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
littledog14, Owner at Ducks Crossing on Burton, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We have contacted the recent Hi teas to be able to establish these problems you encounted particularly if others felt this way. As yet we have not found others. It would be wonderful if you could let me know what day you were here. I have actually emailed you as well. We take comments like this extremely seriously.
To conteract this problem we have totally revamped our Hi Tea and monitoring it with each booking.
The food is delicate under the banner of Hi Tea and is meant to be. It's origin is from the Welsh and Scotish from the workers of the land. This was there afternoon nourishment before supper at night. The food was basic and tasty and always accommpanied by Tea.
Belmont, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My partner and I had dinner on Saturday night. We were warmly welcomed and seated within a few minutes. We received two complimentary canapes on arrival which was nice. We then sat for a good 20-30 minutes waiting for someone to take our order for our food and wine. A waitress came over to ask how everything was when my partner advised her that we hadn't even ordered and she scurried off and got someone to take our order.

Once we ordered the food came out quite promptly and was very pleasant to eat but in saying that the portions are very small for the price. I understand that this is a fine dining restaurant but we were charged $28 for two small peices of crocodile. I had the chicken for main which was lovely and my partner had the barramundi which just looked like fancy fish and chips. I think the biggest disappoinment was that I had printed off their menu from their website 2 days prior to going and had chosen what I wanted to order only to find that these were no longer on the menu.

All in all the food was lovely but for what you pay a trip to maccas on the way home may be on the cards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
littledog14, Owner at Ducks Crossing on Burton, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your review.
As we have just changed our Menu last week and are still fine tuning it, it has not been posted to our website as yet.
On the website it states all menus are subject to change.
We use a lot of bush herbs which are very expensive yet full of flavours so our costs as determined by the market.
Fine dining embrasses these opportunities to explore food flavours of difference and small portions enable the food to be savoured not devoured unlike Maccas.
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My Husband and I went to Ducks Crossing for a Six Course Degustation Dinner and each course was paired with a wine. The food and service was spectacular !!!!! One of our courses was the best beef I have ever eaten, it had the most amazing flavour and I didn't want the meal to end. Then we spent the night in an Eco Resort Cabin. It was really quaint and a nice place just to get away and relax and was close to home. Had a fabulous night !!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wonderful looking forward to seeing you again
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Where to start! We stayed here on a deal voucher and boy were we impressed. The cottages are well appointed and cosy. It rained the entire weekend but staying in wasn't an issue due to the lovely accommodation! Friendly staff, especially the gentleman serving in the restaurant-which was also fantastic! Food was wonderful and the dining experience overall was lovely. The place is well run and also very organised with the setup for guests and voucher holders. We had a great time and will definitely recommend to friends and family. We hope to return again!

• Stayed February 2013
Cherrybrook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I visited Ducks Crossing after purchasing a deal. We ate in the restaurant the first night and found the meal fabulous. We had the Chef Special oysters with crab meat (yum!) which I will attempt at home (obviously not to the standard we had!), shared the beef 'n' reef which we absolutely loved, and the brulee for dessert. We thoroughly enjoyed all the flavours of the meal. I particularly liked the small additions to the meal, duck liver biscuit before the meal and sorbet between the main and dessert, as you don't get that too often. Meal was not cheap but definitely happy with whole meal as could not eat another thing. After dinner we went back to the cabin which we found clean and comfortable, as well as private. Only negative would be that the cabins need better curtains on ALL windows, not just door and main room as you could see in the cabin if you walked past close and the lights were on. Apart from that, will recommend to friends as we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
littledog14, Owner at Ducks Crossing on Burton, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. You had the opportunity to experience our new menu.
The cabins are having an upgrade on the curtain systems at the end of February.
So we look forward to seeing you again
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I visited Ducks Crossing with a group of female friends recently to share high tea. I wished I read the reviews of high tea beforehand though as they are accurate.

The savoury food selection was placed on our table at the exact time of our booking but was soon cold, despite not all of our guests being present. The portions were measly and the sandwiches dry. While the flavours were nice, it was hardly even what you would call bitesize.

Before we finished the savoury selection, our sweet cakes had arrived. For $35 I expected a whole scone. Not a quarter which is what was offered. The passionfruit pannacotta was runny and the morsels again so tiny it was ridiculous.

We had to ask for fresh tea and coffee regularly with only one staff member appearing friendly about our requests. The teapots also didn't keep the tea hot and it went cold very quickly despite having 4-5 cups in each.

Lastly, when we asked for the air conditioning to be turned down as the freezing air was blowing directly on to some of our guests, we were told by the manager in a rude tone that he had other guests to be mindful of and couldn't accommodate requests of one person, and promptly walked away. Great customer service - not!

None of our 8 person group will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
littledog14, Owner at Ducks Crossing on Burton, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
What can I say.

You arrived 3 pm an hour late as a guest for Hi tea which starts at 2pm and food is served at that time.
The organiser of the Hi Tea had allowed the food to be served quickly as the other guests had already had the first course while waiting for you to arrive.

The food is meant to be delicate and is not a substitute for lunch or dinner.

The day was very hot 40 degrees or so and you asked to have all airconditioning turned off?

We did have other guests in the restaurant to consider.

Hi Tea is from 2pm till 4pm and the first course is served at 2pm and then casually after that .
Tea and coffees are served in Silver pots and retain the heat because of that.
This is explained on bookings.

Been to Ducks Crossing on Burton? Share your experiences!