“over rated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Depot on Beaumont

The Depot on Beaumont
104 Beaumont St | Hamilton, Newcastle, Newcastle, New South Wales 2303, Australia
02 4962 2114
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
“over rated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We experienced this restaurant a couple of weeks ago and found it very over rated, over priced and very poor portions, the only good think about my meal was the steak was cooked correctly and if i wanted vegies for an extra $7 or $8 cant remember the exact price i could have had a bowl of steamed, it wouldn't cost that much to purchase fresh vegies from the shops, to make a small bowl. A few of my friends recommended this restaurant when it first opened a couple years ago, but i definately wouldn't recommend it now, If we didnt have the entertainment book to cover one of the meal prices i would have been more than a little p'd off. :(

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
“Best food in newcastle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Finding quality food with service to match in newcastle in extremely difficult, so i try to avoid eating out, however, after visiting depot on beaumont, it is the only place i will return knowing that each experience will be a pleasure. I love the look of the restaurant and can see that no expense has been spared. I have visited for both lunch and dinner and have found the food to be consistant in every way. The wait staff are absolutely lovely and very attentative, making sure your dining experience stands out. It is priced correctly for the quality and portion sizes of the food and i love that theres always an innovative twist on each meal. I regularly recommend this restaurant to friends and family and i wish the depot on beamont all the best in their expansion.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, Australia
“Poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

We waited for over an hour for a tapas plate after ordering as soon as we sat down. The staff rushed by ignoring questions but were happy for us to continue buying drinks while we waited.When the food finally arrived it was very average. I won't rush back.

Visited October 2012
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
“good service and good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I have had lunch at the Depot on Darby a few times and dinner at the Beaumont st restaurant went similarly well. I have become so used to expecting mistakes (missed food orders, cold food, drink orders that never appear etc) so when the service is competant and the food arrives - hot - and all that the same time, this is above average in my experience. We had mains only - but all our 6 plates were clean at the end. I liked the way the mains are charged - with garnish and an included side that you can choose. My husband and i ordered different sides and this made for a good mix of vegetables etc. I had the lamb which was very tender. It could have been bland but the jus was very concentrated so that was enough to add flavour. On the strength of this experience i would visit again. My only complaint is that the overhead lighting was a little on the low side and there was no lighting on the table - i don't know why eating food that you can barely see is considered a good thing - it doesn't improve the experience from my point of view!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Townsville, Australia
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The decor of the restaurant was very nice, and the staff were very attentive and helpful. There was a nice variety of food choices, and all looked really nice, but they lacked any ompf - none of the food I tried would make me come back again, there was no Wow factor. Unfortunately an overall good experience was let down by the food, and at the end of the day the food is what we were here for.

• Visited December 2012