Having stayed at this new hotel several times now, I have come armed to this review with a pros and cons list as per below. We usually book a one bedroom apartment - the hotel has many types of room choices (to the point of confusion when trying to book!)
- Good furniture with King sized beds, clean and modern furnishings and a nice window seat.
- Restaurant on the top level of the hotel is fantastic. It's offers traditional Brazilian food as well as a standard menu and has a groovy cocktail bar. Servings are huge and I would recommend trying the Brazilian set menu.
- Cost. There are often cheap deals going (well under $200 per night). There are also deals that tie in with the restaurant and look to be good value.
- Access to the gym and pool at the adjoining Leagues Club
- Free parking in a secure car park.
- Website: the hotel's website is a one page affair and you can only make reservations via email or by phoning the hotel. You're better to check wotif for room configurations and pricing.
- Staff: the staff can be either really good (we've had some excellent service), or really indifferent with a sloppy attitude.
- Vibe: the hotel is not really run like a hotel. It's part of a Leagues Club complex and you get the feeling that it's run as an add-on to this, not as a hotel business. It's popular with people attending weddings in the Leagues Club.
- Noise: while noise from the main road (Industrial Drive) is not an issue, there are several busy roads within the complex (for patrons to get to the Club) which have these huge stormwater grates which clang and rattle every time they're driven over. We mentioned this to a staff member and apparently complaints about the noise are common, yet they say there's nothing they can do about it! Considering the Leagues Club owns the roads within the complex, you'd think this would be easy to rectify. We always ask for a room at the front of the hotel, rather than the back.
- Location: It's about a 5-10 minute drive to the Honeysuckle Wharf area and slightly further to Newcastle centre.
All-in-all I would recommend this hotel if you want somewhere to crash in comfy surrounds. If you want somewhere more central with good customer service, I'd stay elsewhere.
Ideally, I'd give the Gateway Inn 3.5 stars if I could.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your The Gateway Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.