“Unpleasent” 1 of 5 stars

132 Young Street | Carrington, Newcastle, New South Wales 2294, Australia   |
Ranked #16 of 30 Newcastle B&B and Inns
“Unpleasent”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The worst experience I’ve ever had. Manager was rude; he doesn’t have any idea how to treat customers and without any respect he said “it is your word against mine”. I did not get any refund even though they told me so; offcourse we couldn’t stayed in that place, because when we were given the room, we just realized that we were not informed that there is not internal bathroom, and when I complained about that, manager just said it is your fault not looking carefully the web site. In addition, TV was too old, and there weren’t any cable services. Moreover, the room was very small and doesn’t even have a wardrobe to put your stuff in; in addition mattress was too heavy not even to take a nap. Considering the price, it too expensive in relation to what you paying for.

After the incident we had to look around another places to stay that night and we found a better place (any place is better than Carrington, with double the service and just 10% increase the price. Doubtless, this place is not suitable for anyone who like enjoy a weekend off. Definitely I won’t recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

As we had stayed here before for a wedding we were happy to return and I was pleased to book the disabled access room as it is the only one with ensuite bathroom. The room is quite large and stylishly furnished with a large (shower only) bathroom. We were here only to sleep but be warned this might be a bit of a problem in this room. I had read a previous review which complained of noise from the kitchen. This did not affect us as we returned to the hotel after the restaurant and bar had closed. Unfortunately I did hear other guests returning - 3 different groups between 2 and 3 am. The worst part was I could then hear them each walk along the corridor (directly above our room) to use the toilet ( directly above our bed - cue sound affects). Did not make for a restful night. Think carefully if the advantages of your own bathroom outweigh the noise issues. I would only stay upstairs in future. My partner on the other hand slept through the lot and would prefer downstairs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are basic but very clean and tidy. We were expecting it to be noisy, but were pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was. The staff were lovely, nothing was too much to ask. Breakfast was yummy.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

Not only is my room disturbed by the loud noise below, I don't remember being told that there's no internal bathroom, a tv that is so old they could have picked it up off the street in a council cleanup and it hasn't any reception so what's the point.. plus only one towel and one glass for two people... shampoo but no conditioner and no hair dryer. The only good thing about staying here is the hospitality you receive when you arrive, I guess they feel sorry for you. Overpriced.!

• Stayed September 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

My wife and I booked the only room that has a bathroom. Room was fine apart from the broken heat pump.
1 towel between 2 of us and no hand towels or face cloths.
Worst part was the noise from the kitchen and the bar. After hours the staff decide make as much noise as they can.
Should have stayed at one of the normal hotels.
If you do stay here make sure it's an upstairs room, you won't have a bathroom of your own though.
Glad we didn't eat here after reading the poor reviews.

• Stayed September 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Lunch today for five, pre lunch bubbles being a celerbration muns 79 b day, $30 bottle of bubbles which was fine glasses served were dirty lip stick around the rim not good enough. Moved to dinning room , pleasant enough, pre breads were good. 2 trout and three duck as mains. Fine dining it is not. Paper covering the table very off putting. My napkin was dirty and stained. The duck was tuff and unable to be cut by the knife supplied, needed a steak knife to get close, not good enough for duck. My mother being diabetic had to eat so my brother cut her duck up into small portions because she was unable to do it. I complained to the staff and sent 2 duck back. We were then informed this is the way it was done Again not good enough for apparently "fine dinning" there are a lot better places to dine in Newcastle. This is the second time I have dinned at Carrington Place the first 2 year ago the second today, the first was a great night beautiful food, today the second was disgusting and over priced. It is a shame that me being a local to Carrington, and trying to suport locally would feel so disheartened about such a beautiful venue. I did not stay inn house.

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Rarely do you experience the cliche of old fashioned service, well I recently stayed at this unique accommodation a short three minute drive to the city centre and experienced it. From the moment of entering the bar area you experience a wonderfully restored building with a modern twist, then the shock the staff makes you automatically welcome. The food is first class and the Carrigton Larger is too enjoyable. The food varies from a great bar Tappas menus to a first class Restaurent. If you don't put this place on the Menu the you are truly missing a great opportunity

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Carrington Place? Share your experiences!