“Could have been better” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Newcastle, Australia
“Could have been better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Me, my wife and parents sat down at Ghanda's Indian Restaurant at 6.05PM Saturday. I had booked a table 3 days before. There were only two other tables occupied at that time. We ordered 10 minutes later at 6.15PM. The Pakoras arrived 15 minutes after that. They tasted OK. The restaurant gradually filled and within another 40 minutes of our arrival it was packed full, cramped and very noisy. We did not receive our main courses until 7.15PM (a full hour after ordering). For the type of restaurant we were in I considered that waiting for food for 1 hour was way too long, particularly as we were sitting on hard wooden chairs. What really irked me though was while we were waiting for our food I counted no less than 7 takeaway orders being dispensed at the counter. I felt we were suffering because takeaways were being being given preference over our dine in table. Had we waited much longer I was prepared to walk out. When the food did arrive I found my Balti Lamb to be bland and uninteresting. I tried the dishes of both my parents and my wife and found them to be OK but nothing to rave about. There were no apologies for the lateness of our food by the waitstaff. When questioned as to why the food arrived so late on paying our bill we were told the owner had 2 staff down. I can understand that would make it hard for him to perform to his usual standard but I think we as a booked table should not have been made to wait uncomfortably for so long while takeaway meals were pumped out. That was rude and most unfair. I would suggest anyone who may consider dining in at Ghanda's to ring before leaving home to order in advance with the aid of a takeaway menu. Then upon arrival at least the food should arrive at the table in a timely manner.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Sydney, Australia
“Good Indian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Gandha's has been around for years which only shows how great the food is for people to keep going back - the menu has plenty to choose from, so give it a go

Sydney
“always yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I think this is the best Indian in Newcastle. The chicken Moghul is beautiful as is the Malai Kofta and Lamb Rogan josh!!!!!! Owner is friendly and service is great!!!!

Visited May 2012
“Ever had Saag Chicken? If not, order now!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Gandah's is the best Indian in Newcastle, however I'm not sure how much of a compliment that is.

Not having been to India I can't comment on the authenticity of the food, however it is certainly more flavorsome and delicate than the plethora of indian takeaways available.

Saag is a spinach dish with the spice called Fenergreek and it's unlike anything I've tasted before. It's a marvel and comes with Chicken or a vegetarian option.

The curries are generally excellent and the accompaniments fresh. Our vego friends are happy to dine at Gandah's too.

The service is ok. Best to go with beers both for the harmony with the cuisine and the dodgy wine list and service.

A regular haunt for us, Gandah's is worth the extra you pay as the taste factor is way up there.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, Australia
“Authentic Indian”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Although Im not a huge lover of Indian food, if I was to, it would be here. The dishes look small, but believe me, they're not & are very filling. Very authentic indian & good service, although probably a little more expensive than other places - certainly the taste back it up.

Visited November 2011