“A great weekend overall” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN PLUS Madison Spa Resort
80 Meninya St, Moama, New South Wales 2731, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Moama
Melbourne, Australia
“A great weekend overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

My wife & I stayed at the Madison spa resort for two nights.

Although our original internet booking was stuffed up, the staff contacted us the same day and came to an arrangement for an alternative room with breakfast which was of great credit to them.

The rooms were comfortable and cool in the 45 degree heat with very good airconditioning. Even though the place appeared to be full, it was extremely quiet in the room and only the sound of the cockatoos coming through. Although a little dated, the comfort of the room outweighed this.

The pool area was fantastic and a refreshing swim was had on the hot day. The outdoor pool was big enough for the adults and the kids to enjoy.

We found the biggest surprise was the food. Breakfast on both days was excellent. Whilst not over the top, the breakfast buffet was all quality and we wanted for nothing. It also provides lunch & dinner. We had lunch one day and the food again was beautiful, particularly the lamb filo parcels, & the the prices were very reasonable.

The staff at reception, particularly Heather, we're always pleasant and her great memory always gave us a personal greeting and was always happy to help.

We'll definitely prefer to stay here when we come back to Moama.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
AM_Madison, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Madison Spa Resort, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind response, the Staff are all thrilled with your lovely comments. We look forward to your return visit.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Geelong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Decided to spend a few days in Echuca/Moama from New Year's Day onwards. A lot of places were booked out, so thought we'd try Madison Spa Resort. I read the 'Poor' and 'Terrible' TripAdvisor reviews, so didn't have hopes up, even though there are many more good reviews than bad. I thought, worst case scenario, if the rooms were no good, we would turn around and drive home (3 hours away)!

Well, we did not experience any of the 'Poor' or 'Terrible' things that other people allegedly experienced in the past. Yes, it is on the main road, but we did not at any stage find the noise from traffic (of which there was a lot) to be a problem. The grounds are reasonably spacious and there was ample parking. The reception area is excellently presented.

My number one requirement with regard to hotel/motel rooms is cleanliness, and the room we had was perfectly fine in that regard. The room would be better with a balcony, but we just opened the glass sliding door leaving just the fly screen, which was almost as good as sitting outside lol. Loved having a spa looking out at the gum trees. With regard to spa noise, there is a rule specifying that spas are to be switched off by 10pm, so we had no issue there. Little table & chairs, couch, carpet, bar fridge, tea & coffee facilities, TV, bathroom basin, toilet and shower were all fine -- nothing to fault. Sure the large-ish shower recepticle has no door, but if you just turn off the taps a little, then the water won't squirt out near the toilet. One day we didn't require our room to be made up and so put the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door; but on the other day, on returning from being out, we found that the housekeeping staff had done a wonderful job of refreshing our room. The bed linen was clean, white and crisp; towelling was clean, white and fluffy.

If I were to fault the room, it would be that the colour scheme is not to my liking -- the dark yellowy colour and black features made the room feel a bit dark to me. It might feel cosy in winter (there is a faux fireplace too). And I'm not a fan of exposed bricks for interior walls.

The full breakfast in the restaurant area was great; although I don't go for savoury things (sausages, eggs, mushrooms, etc.) for breakfast and so stuck to the cereal, yorhurt, toast, fruit, and muffins. On a couple of mornings some of these items had run out; but that was ok -- I just had what was still available. It would be good to also offer something like pancakes or waffles.

The tropical pool area is great. The pool was adequately clean. There are two indoor 'spas'. The cold one has bubbles; the warm one doesn't. The sauna is small but looked fine.

I made use of the day spa, booking in for an all-over (body + face) skin treatment + massage. It was all great except, seeing as though I do a desk job, I asked the therapist to concentrate on my neck region. Well the massage absolutely killed! I was too polite to ask her to stop... She told me that I was very knotted, but I have never had problems before and left feeling bruised for a few days, worse than before I went in. Perhaps I need to have more regular massages to make those muscles more supple :-)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
AM_Madison, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Madison Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Thank you for kind comments, we are pleased you enjoyed yourselves and our facilities.
I would have to agree that a balcony would certainly enhance the rooms, however thankfully there are big windows with the sliding glass door to enjoy the river gum views... and who knows what the future may bring when concerning balconies.
I would also like to thank you for your diplomatic and honest opinion regarding the decor of the rooms, we understand that of course it won't suit everyone’s taste but we do our very best to try and make them appealing to most and so we do really appreciate your input on this.
We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast; pancakes would be lovely, thank you for the suggestion. When items run out, we do try our best to re-stock as quickly as possible, please feel free to ask the wait staff for any extra items, they will be more than obliging.
I would encourage you next time to please let the therapist know of your preferred pressure in regards to your deep tissue massage, they are there to please you and make sure it’s a lovely experience. I have passed your comments onto the Day Spa manager, so they are aware of how you felt.
We look forward to your return stay.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed here for two nights for a wedding. Reception was friendly and pleasant enough. Rooms were pretty basic and would say tired and needing update. Our bathroom was very old and tired and the carpets were very wore and tired. We stayed over some hot days and needed the aircon however being placed over the bed without a swing you could adjust away I had to sleep on the extra single bed away from the unit. The pool was nice and you could order cocktails at the poolside bar which was nice but being in the room wasn't a nice experience. Friends staying in a spa room indicated there's was a lot newer so there may be varying states of rooms renovated.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding our friendly staff, we are pleased you enjoyed the pool area and our cocktails over some very warm days.
In regards to your room, you have described the most basic room we have on the property; there are only 2 of this type, the 'Bush View Room'. The set-up of this room is like no other due to the fact that it caters for the disabled, especially when the bathroom is concerned.
I have checked the air-conditioning unit in both of these rooms and selected the 'swing' option and made sure it was working and matched the instructions provided. I would encourage you to please ask our friendly staff for help with this next time, we are here to help and make sure you enjoy your stay with us.
I do agree that our rooms definitely do vary in decor as they also vary in price. I do appreciate your comment regarding the carpet; this will be addressed after our busy summer.

Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed here recently with my daughter. The staff were very friendly & helpful. Room was basic but clean & comfy. We had dinner at the restaurant 1 night, the food was great but the air conditioning was inadequate in 40 degree heat, breakfast was fresh & plentiful. The pool & spa were clean & very pleasant in the heat.

Room Tip: The bathroom was clean & basic (shower, toilet, vanity). We had a queen size bed & a single...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
AM_Madison, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Madison Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments and are very pleased you enjoyed our facilities. We must apologise regarding the air conditioning in the restaurant that weekend, something decided to break (of course on one of the first hot days of Summer), thankfully it was repaired first thing Monday.

We look forward to your return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Recently my husband and I used our travel auction voucher to stay at this establishment. As we were in Echuca on farm business we combined the time. Ours was an upstairs scenic spa room. It was clean and spotless and well appointed. The air conditioner was already turned on so the the room was cool as it was a very hot day. After we completed our business we relaxed in the spa pool and then sat by the outdoor pool. Very pleasant. Our bed was so comfortable and we enjoyed two good nights sleep. It was also relaxing in the spa bath in our room. Plenty of things to do around Echuca and Moama and on the second day of our stay chose a cruise on the Emmylou Paddleboat. I must compliment the staff for being courteous and helpful, Will be back again for another stay when time permits. Thank you.

Room Tip: Upstairs room seem to have less traffic noise.Start the day with a continental breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
AM_Madison, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Madison Spa Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your lovely comments and we are very pleased your stay with us so relaxing. We are also glad you enjoyed our facilities and were able to make the most of our local attractions.

Colac, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Just entering the reception area I felt this place is very classy. I almost felt out of place but the welcome we recieved from everyone was so genuinely friendly I felt right at home. Our room was stunning. It was exceptionally clean & had everything we wanted for our stay. We loved the breakfast. We had both continental & full breakfasts on our stay. I honestly much prefer the buffet type breakfast than the room service as you get a nice selection to choose from. We absolutely loved our stay the staff couldn't do enough for us. Thanks to everyone and we hope to return one day soon!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your appreciative comments, we are so pleased you enjoyed yourselves and our facilities. We look forward to your return visit one day.

swan hill
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and i recently stayed at this resort for 2 nights compliments of a travel auction vouchre purchased at a little over half the normal price.We found the rooms to be spacious and well appointed however the spa was only a bath with jets meant for one person and there was no balcony or outside space to sit and have a glassof wine and nibbles as it is nice to do when away from home relaxing. The pool area had table and chairs but you were not allowed to eat or drink anything there that did not come from resort WHICH WAS DISAPPOINTING.We chose not to eat at the resort instead sampling the many fine reasonably priced resturants and clubs surrounding the resort.There is a woolworths very close to resort and several resturants within easy walking distance. To sum up a nice to stay if you can get a cheaper rate otherwise look around the area as there are many other beautiful places to stay .

Room Tip: we stayed in a ground floor spa room .No balcony or outside space bath sized spa the bed was extreme...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
AM_Madison, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Madison Spa Resort, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your feedback, as it allows us to address the points you have noted. We are pleased you found our rooms spacious and well-appointed. We do however find your comment regarding our Spa's unwarranted especially because in the 15 years of the owner being here this is the first time that we have ever heard a description such as this. We will be posting a photo to show you how comfortable our spas actually are.
In regards to your own alcohol and food, you are more than welcome to enjoy this in your room but as we are a licensed premises, drinks can be purchased through our pool bar and restaurant at bar prices just as it is in any other resort/restaurant in town.

Kind regards

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Madison Spa Resort? Share your experiences!