“Fantastic stay!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shenanigans at The Imperial

You added Shenanigans at The Imperial to your Saves list
Shenanigans at The Imperial
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   458 High Street, Maitland, New South Wales 2320, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 13 Maitland B&B and Inns
Maitland, Australia
“Fantastic stay!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My family were over for Christmas and wouldn't fit in the house, so they spent a wonderful couple of nights recently at Shenanigans. Rooms comfortable, breakfast lovely. Staff were wonderful. Found ourselves making a last minute booking for 17 people in the bistro on Xmas Eve and the whole group found the meals fantastic and the staff very accommodating .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Mike T, Owner at Shenanigans at The Imperial, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
I am so very happy that you enjoyed my pub so much....the accommodation, food and service. My guys really do try hard, and it is disappointing for them when they are not given the wraps that they deserve.
I hope we have the opportunity of being of service to you again.

Cheers,
Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

When your charging top dollar for pub food you should expect a decent dinner at this place not the case $25 for a bought in schnitzel with five chips is a joke and the $31 crumbed cutlets were disgusting after asking for my money back I was told no we can only give you a buy one get one free after insisting for my money back we were given half the money what a joke of a place if you can't get the basics right why bother I know it's really hard to crumb some chicken and fry it the chef should go back into retirement its chicken schnitzel and crumbed cutlets,mushroom sauce how hard is it what a hole

• Stayed December 2013
What can I say? I am very sorry you had a bad experience. Your complaint was not handled at all well, and was not in keeping with the guidelines we have given our staff in this area. I am happy to discuss this with you if you want to make contact via email at info@shenanigans.com.au

As for the food itself, our staff advise that they served six other portions of the lamb cutlets that night,. They managed to ask 3 of these diners what they thought of the food, and received only compliments. The other 3 had already left.Similarly with the schnitzel....we sell over 200 of them a week, and have been using the same supplier for 18 years. So, I guess I don't have any answers for you in those particular areas.

However, I do re-iterate that I am very sorry you didn't enjoy your Shenanigans Experience and I would like the opportunity to set things right..

On another note, I must mention that should any customer verbally abuse or swear at any of our staff, my instruction to them is to walk away. I tell them that they do not have to put up with any abuse or bad language, or any unruly behaviour of any sort. They are employed to serve, biut not to be servants or be spoken down to or in a demeaning fashion.
I look forward to hearing from you so that we can fairly discuss all of the above.
Coffs Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I spent three nights staying on the first floor in a room with shared facilities. Was a very good quality room of this type.
The room was quite large and spacious, with both a double and single bed, with a cupboard, table/chairs, flat screen TV and hand basin with hot and cold running water. Bed was comfortable. The room was clean on arrival, and made up each day.
The shared facilities look like they had recently been renovated and were immaculately clean each time I used them. Of course there were separate for men and women.
Facilities were provided for breakfast, with a kitchen area and table/chairs in a shared area. Breakfast consisted of cereal or bread to make toast, and tea/coffee.
When booking the hotel, I wasnt sure about parking. There is a big free council car park at the rear of the hotel. It does have 3 hour time limit - but only between 8am and 5pm (1pm on Saturdays). I have included a pic. It doesnt take much to figure out so that you can safely park for the night.

Room Tip: Parking available at rear of hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Glad you enjoyed your stay, and I hope you will again some time in the future. Thanks for passing on the parking info to others.
Maitland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I am a local who has frequented the Imperial for the last 25+ years. It has always had a good reputation, decent food and fun atmosphere for a drink and a laugh. I have always enjoyed the food over this time so it saddens me to have cause to post this review. I recently had the opportunity to meet up with my husband during my lunch hour from work (not something we get the opportunity to do often). We decided on the Imperial and enjoyed a lovely main meal. Very fresh, well cooked and well presented. Staff were pleasant and service was quick. In fact, service was so good, we had time to enjoy a coffee and a dessert after our meal. I decided on the caramel cheesecake, it arrived promptly and I tucked in quickly. After a few mouthfuls, I thought it had a strange taste and started to inspect the cheesecake closely. Imagine my horror when I discovered MOULD on my cheesecake. Needless to say, I felt ill!!!! We took the dessert back and spoke to the young girl at the counter and she apologised and took it in to show the chef. On return she refunded us the price of our two desserts. So we didn't have to pay for it and she did apologise for serving it to us. But at the end of the day, it should never have been served to me, and I wonder exactly how old the cheesecake was for it have mould grow on it. Come on guys, pick up your game. This has really put me off and I can't see me being comfortable eating there again in a hurry. Very disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike T, Owner at Shenanigans at The Imperial, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
You're absolutely right and I extend my sincere apology. Steps have been taken to see that it does not happen again.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

It was our first visit there at the Shenanigans Hotel the 6 of us was so Impressed with the Hotel , all going well we hope to be back again in April 2014 to see the Steam Fest , we found the rooms very clean , Thanks From - 6 Brisbane Group

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your kind words.
It isn't easy providing a level of quality that is acceptable to most, and at the same time, maintain a Budget price.
We appreciate your thoughts.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stopped at Maitland today. What a great place. Went into Shenanigans hoping for a quick bite to eat. What a cracking place. Could have spent all day just looking at the pictures on the walls. Anyway back to lunch. Both myself and my wife had prawn starters which were a meal in itself and were fantastic as were the mains especially the imperial chicken. Would have loved to have spent more time there, but all washed down with a nice pint of Guinness it was time to go. Great staff, totally friendly and efficient. Will definitely pull in on the way back through. Well done. Made my day...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mike T, Owner at Shenanigans at The Imperial, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Hey thanls for your kind words. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back for Steamfest.

Cheers,
Mike & Joel
Tenterfield, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I used to live in the area so have had many drinks and meals there over the years, but moved away some 20 years ago.

I stayed there recently and although the accommodation was good, there a few ordinary bits. The aircon in the room cannot be altered , no remote, so a low fan at 22 deg summer or winter, not heating in the upstairs lounge, and if you leave early there is no way to turn on the lights either.

On the plus side, the amenities are modern although shared and very clean as is the room.

Overall aok considering it is in the middle of town and the price is moderate

Room Tip: All rooms are a bit noisy, keep away from the kitchen lounge area rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Mike T, Owner at Shenanigans at The Imperial, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thanks for your recent review. I would like to take this opportunity to explain a few of the things you mentioned.
The air con is preset because we found that guests were either:
a) stealing the remote controls. The replacement cost of $80 was more than the cost of the room in some cases.
b) selecting the wrong modes when wall mounted variable controls were installed. For example, in summer, they might select the heat or fresh air mode, when actually wanting cool air, and then, when they didn't achieve the desired result, turn the temp down to 16, which only made the unit freeze and not work efficiently, or in some cases, not at all. So, we have a preset temp of 22-23 degrees on air cool between September and May and the same temp but on heat from June to August. Most people think it works pretty well at that.

As for noise created by other guests in the common areas, it can be an occasional problem that we are constantly endeavouring to tackle. Unfortunately, we are somewhat hamstrung by the age and heritage of the building, and we find ourselves stuck between trying to deliver a value product and meeting the demands of the guest who wants it all.
We obviously rely on guests to be caring and conscious of everyone else that stays, and have several signs erected promotiing that very thing. Sadly, people being people are not always as considerate as they could be, and yes it's an ongoing minor issue. As long as there are uncaring or inconsiderate people amongst us, I guess it will occasionally create a problem. Having said that, noise from inside the building has not been too much of an issue for most guests.
The lighting is on a timer and set to extinguish at 10:30pm and relight at 6:30am.In between time, sufficient lighting is provided by exit signs and a lamp in the main corridor adjacent to the toilets which is left on all night. There is also a single light in the kitchen for early risers. I don't see lighting as an issue, and this has never been mentioned as being a problem in the past.
In closing, may I once again thank you for the review, and I trust my explanations help to clear up some points for you. Above all, we hope that you liked Shenanigans at The Imperial enough to return.

Kind regards,
Mike Thomas

Been to Shenanigans at The Imperial? Share your experiences!