“Very Nice Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monte Pio Hotel

You added Monte Pio Hotel to your Saves list
Monte Pio Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   64-74 Dwyer Street, Maitland, New South Wales 2320, Australia (Formerly Quality Inn Monte Pio)   |
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Maitland
Tuncurry, Australia
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed for two nights and paid $150 I thought the rooms were very nice and looked newly renovated we also ate there and was not so impressed with the food, and to be fair we only had one meal there so you can't really go on that, the service was great all staff was friendly and we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rome, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed at Monte Pio as we could not find any available rooms in Pokolbin available for Saturday night. We stayed in the cheapest room, $150 for 1 night. It's a large hotel, and the rooms were very large and clean. Room service was affordable with cereal being $3.50 p/bowl and bowls of fruit $3.50 and there was a table in our room next to a big bay window. It has everything you need, the only problem was our room was a bit noisy. There was a wedding on there that night and so we heard all of the guests going to bed at around midnight; and anytime a room above us or next to us used their bathroom we could hear the pipes creaking and it was very noisy. The manager was lovely, and I hate people who complain on tripadvisor but don't complain to management, and had we have stayed more than 1 night I probably would have asked for a less noisy room but given only one night we didn't mind. Overall, it was OK.

Room Tip: We were in room 2, not sure if there are quieter rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently with our 14 month old as a one nighter before heading to Hunter Valley the day after. We arrived around 9.00pm and we were welcomed by the manager who was lovely.
The room itself was spacious and had two beds, the only thing I didn't like was that the floors squeaked a lot and we could hear all the doors slamming from the other rooms. So in terms of noise we thought it was quite noisy.
We also tried the buffet breakfast the next day which had a variety food which was good. I found the bacon too tough and I also noticed a lot of the glasses were not washed properly and still had lipstick and lips marks which was not nice to see.
Overall our stay was ok and we were there just to sleep for the one night which wasn't too bad. I don't think I would choose this hotel to stay in again though.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

10 years ago my partner and I stayed at the Monte Pio and it was a lovely hotel then. We had what I think was the Bridal Suite with the open fire. We had a lovely stay and did hope to return but didn't think we'd take this long. However, with the recent renovations it was a pleasant surprise and we stayed not in the same room but one the same floor in another loft room. The fire place has gone because of the Fire&Safety regulations but the room was still cosy and well appointed. The decor was Coco Republic which clashed with the old bathroom settings but that is neither here nor there as the bathrooms will be upgraded in the future. I found their whole furnishings quite eclectic with a Grecian theme in the foyer, heritage in the dining/lounge area and the bling in the bedrooms. There is something for everyone. The new owners have undertaken an enormous job in transforming this hotel and I sincerely hope it works out for them. Such a lovely building with local history deserves to carry on with lots of people coming to enjoy the hospitality. We ate at the restaurant on Saturday night and although it was busy with a couple of basketball teams and parents, it was a non issue. The food was well prepared and delicious. There is the regular menu plus a seasonal one and an adequate wine list. The staff are more than accommodating and if you have any issues or worries about booking, ask them. They are very helpful and also want to make your stay a pleasant one.

Room Tip: If you stay a Sunday night be sure to ask about breakfast for Monday morning. As there were only us...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My sister, mum and I stayed at the Monte Pio the weekend that Elton John performed at Hope Estate.. despite booking 5 months out from the concert, I was quite limited in the available accommodation which was in our budget.

Found a room at Monte Pio through Wotif - booking went well and the room was there for us when we turned up, thank goodness! Shower was okay, rooms felt a little unloved, but the building is a beautiful old girl who just needs some love (but it sounds like they may be getting that now thankfully!)

My grandmother was born in Maitland and we still have family links to the area, so it's nice to see people respecting the old buildings.

Will certainly give Monte Pio another go if I ever stay in Maitland again.. nothing to turn me off it per se, but just felt a little bit neglected when I was there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Coffs Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Having grown up in Maitland in the 80s my wife and I remember when the Monte Pio was "the" place in Maitland. (I had my Year 12 formal there in 1987 and we stayed in the Bridal Suite on the the first night of our Honeymoon). We were heartened when we found out that the new owners were undertaking a refurbishment of the Monte Pio and last time we stayed we were impressed with the work that was being carried out.
This visit we booked into a spa suite and were pleasantly surprised and excited to be given the same room we stayed in on our first night of married life. The room was well appointed and had been recently refurbished, the carpet was new, as was the king sized bed and all the appointments. The only down side was the bathroom which has obviously not had the magic wand waved over it yet, but it was still clean and everything worked.
The whole establishment was modernised and felt clean and fresh. There was 2 netball teams staying there who were very noisy on the first night, but after discussing our concerns with the management team there was no problem the following nights.
We dined one night in "The Pines" restaurant and found it to be excellent food at a reasonable price with excellent attentive service.
The tarriff was extremely reasonable and more than appropriate for the quailty of the stay.
We must make speacial mention of the manager of his staff, they are always so friendly and welcoming that we always feel like we are among friends when we stay here.
We will be back!!

Room Tip: Call the property and talk to the staff, they will be more than happy to help you enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed for one night but will definitely be back to do a Hunter Valley tour and will stay here again. Rooms were spacious with Foxtel available and the whole atmosphere of the place was a refreshing change from most hotel chains. Excellent value for money as this gave the impression of a much more luxurious motel than most and although some rooms are upstairs there is a readily accessible lift. Excellent restaurant also on site.

Room Tip: rooms in the wing away from the main road are quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Monte Pio Hotel? Share your experiences!