“Fabulous Food and an awesome view” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Broken Earth Cafe & Restaurant - CLOSED

Broken Earth Cafe & Restaurant
1 Federation Way | Atop the Line of Lode, Broken Hill, New South Wales 2880, Australia
+61 8 8087 1318
Website
Improve this listing
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
“Fabulous Food and an awesome view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great restaurant- we visited for dinner.
Important to book as restaurant is not large and tables were all full on a Sunday night.
Kids menu was great and the food perfect

Visited July 2013
SalsaBabe007, Manager at Broken Earth Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thanks for the review ,we are glad you had a great time and hope to see you when your next in Broken Hill .

Sydney, Australia
“I expected more.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I had lunch and dinner here on 2 different days, and had 2 completely different experiences. I will point out that I was dining alone.
I'll start with lunch, which I had on Tuesday 9 July 2013.
The lunch menu was limited, but varied. I opted for the salmon and prawn pizza. I ordered a glass of wine - $8 for a glass of chardy seemed a bit steep, but it was well matched to the food I ordered. Food was delivered in a timely fashion, and wow, what an explosion of flavour! I was inspired! I ordered a coffee after my meal, and it was the best coffee I had in a cafe in Broken Hill. The service was excellent, attentive but unpretentious.
My lunch bill came to under $30.

I was so pleased with lunch, that I decided to reserve a table for dinner 2 nights later (Thursday 11 July 2013).

Big mistake.

The dinner menu looked really good: good entrees, good mains. I had to request a dessert menu, which was limited. The wine menu was broader than what was offered for lunch, and they offer cocktails as well. I settled on a glass of chardy, the onion and cheese ciabiatta for entree, kangaroo for main, and chocolate brownie for desert.
The service: it seemed pretentious to me: almost as if the wait staff were trying to mimic what they thought a fine dining experience should be. In the Outback, I found this amusing and a bit stupid, frankly. The attitude of the staff could well do with taking down a notch, to allow the staff's personalities to shine through (like they did with my lunch experience). I'm not sure if they have been told to act the way they do: if they have, management should back off and let staff be themselves. This attitude of 'fine dining service' was completely let down (and thus led me to believe it was artificial) by the fact that I was not given water until I requested it by the end of my main meal. So, my verdict: pretentious and rubbish service. I was extremely disappointed. I did notice that people not dining alone (ie everyone except myself) did get water before they ordered. Was it just because I was alone? Not good enough. Very bad. The dinner staff could learn a few things from the lunch staff.
The food: I was very disappointed with food.
I ordered the onion and cheese ciabiatta for entree: I did not expect what I got. I got a slab of bread with onion and cheese on the top (which fell off when I cut into the bread) with a small dish of olive oil and vinegar. The only redeeming thing about the entree was the onions, which were really tasty, slow cooked, caramelized and perfectly seasoned.
The main I chose was the kangaroo. I know my kangaroo: I have cooked with it successfully many times myself, but was curious what they would come up with for $39 a pop (really expensive for kangaroo, which costs around $12-15 per kilo at Coles/Woolies, but if I got a slab of meat ...). Again, wasn't happy. I got 5-6 slices of meat (total of maybe 150 grams) on top of a squashed baked potato with some wilted spinach leaves underneath. It was cooked about medium rare, and was bit tough in some places BUT the seasoning was so out of balance I wondered weather the chef actually tasted any of their food before serving. Over peppered (WAY too much pepper) and under-salted. I love pepper, but this was ridiculous. A few mouthfuls in, I was sweating (remember, I had no water provided until I asked for it after my main!). I had ordered a side dish of roast veggies to up my veg intake, which was 2/3 potato: my main had a huge potato already! No imagination from the chef here. Plus I had to salt everything, as there was no flavour (except for the pepper). The amount of pepper completely overpowered the delicateness of the dish. It was a failure. The only good thing was the reduction sauce, of which there was too little (and thankfully I tasted before the peppery 'roo).
After the main, I was hesitant about ordering dessert, but 'in for penny, in for a pound' right? It couldn't get any worse, I thought. So, out came the chocolate brownie. It was not a brownie. A brownie is crispy on the outside, gooey and chewy on the inside, usually has nuts and/or choc bits. What I got was an elaborately decorated half-cooked chocolate cake (no nuts or choc bits) which was baked in a mini loaf pan. It was soft inside because it was not cooked. It was indeed half risen. I'm a dessert queen, and this was something I could have beaten 20 years ago when I was 12 years old. Another failure. I did like the chocolate disk though, cutely decorated with a pink and green flower pattern (but I suspect the chef had nothing to do with that).
Dinner was a sad affair. I left as soon as I'd finished eating, didn't want to waste another second in that place over a second glass of wine. Dismal experience.

My final dinner bill came to just under $80. Low value for money. Dine for dinner elsewhere.

So my score is based on a great lunch experience and a terrible dinner experience, which evens out at average.

My advice: experience the restaurant for lunch, avoid dinner until they lift their game.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I'm sadden by your comments which where written in length and with great detail expressing your concerns and dining experience at our restaurant . I wish you could of expressed your concerns to staff on the floor on that night. The manager would of been only to happy to have spoken with you and tried to accommodate you to ensure your experience was a happy one. please feel free to call us if you would like to discuss your experience and do hope if your back in Broken Hill to come and see us for a coffee :)
Newcastle, Australia
“Great view, lovely food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Great view over the city lights of Broken Hill and great food to match. Somewhat pricey but definitely worth it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lee C, Manager at Broken Earth Cafe & Restaurant, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
We glad to hear you loved the view from our restaurant and met your expectations
sydney
“Soooooooo good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We enjoyed the mixed grill of Kangaroo, fillet steak, spatchcock, lamb cutlet, and pork sausage immensely, and the accompanying wine was excellent! The chef Lee came out from the kitchen, and chatted after the meal, which is how I like to get to know a restaurant. She backgrounded the menu and the sourcing of ingredients, and was very interesting. The site on the hill overlooking the town is sensational, and drinks then dinner as the sun set was inspirational!

Visited June 2013
Thanks for your review glad the mix grill lived up to your expectations and it was great chatting to you both, hope to see you when your next in Broken Hill
Wollongong, Australia
“Great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Unfortunately we only had time for a coffee, but the food looked varied and yummy. The best things about the cafe was its location and views. Service was quite good.

Visited June 2013