“A Gem in the Heart of Bathurst” 5 of 5 stars

Winter-Rose Cottage B&B
79 Morrisset Street, Bathurst, New South Wales 2795, Australia   |
Ranked #6 of 14 Bathurst B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“A Gem in the Heart of Bathurst”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Winter Rose is a great place to stay in Bathurst, only 5 minutes walk from the heart of town....but on a very quiet street. The rooms are very comfortable and Anne Marie is a wonderful host. And the breakfasts are to die for. Terrific value. I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: If you are looking at a longer stay, the free standing cottage at the back is the go.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Stayed one night at A Winter-Rose Cottage last week. Upon arrival greeted warmly and given a cup of tea and delicious banana bread. Admired the front garden which contained winter roses (hellebores) tiny daffodils and crocus. My room contained a double bed, sofa and what could be used as another bed in the window alcove. The shower and toilet were spotless .
The bed had a dual control electric blanket and there was a heater in the room. The guest lounge (and indeed the whole cottage) was warmed by a wood fired slow combustion fire. Situated in a tree lined street, there was no traffic noise. Breakfast served on beautiful china. Tea provided in an individual pot. A very welcome experience and a lovely freshly cooked breakfast, which included home made chutney and delicious stewed plums (a far cry from the sour tasteless ones I remember from my schooldays). I would recommend this b&b. A thoughtful hostess who anticipated the needs of her guests and who makes wonderful jams and chutneys.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is my third visit at" Winter Rose Cottage"in Bathurst and again such a wonderful experience!
I travel for my work and have visited numerous BB establishments, hotels and motels. I stayed at Rose Cottage for 3 nights midweek.
Winter Rose B&B and the owner/hostess- Anne Maree are the winners in all categories. The warmth, friendliness, comfort, hospitality, service, food, conversation,....warm fires,.......beautiful gardens....homegrown vegetables..homemade chutneys & jams....sumptuous breakfasts...beautiful 3 course dinners.... . location...what more can I say!
PS: I am also puzzled by the previous ""demountable- Never again " comments?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

It must puzzle readers as it did me that the previous review was so full of negativity when all others are extremely positive. One can only be left to ponder the author's personality, unreasonable expectations and intent in writing such malicious comments. My husband and I can verify all the positive written accounts that have been posted about this lovely little B&B and the owner.
Ann Maree was most welcoming in inviting us into her home for our two day stay. She had a fire that constantly burned day and night in the guest's lounge room. Although below zero outside, the house was cosy and the bed that was fitted with an electric blanket and a fluffy doona ensured we had a good night's sleep.
The breakfasts were a highlight as the quality of the home cooked meal was excellent! Nothing was too much trouble. One morning, three different hot meals were cooked and delivered similtaneously, to suit the tastes of all guests. The table was set with the nicest crockery and the little extras such as serviette holders, potted tea and peaceful background music made the experience all the more enjoyable.
The garden was lovely and we came home with a potted rosemary and two jars of Anne Maree's delicious homemade jam.
The previous writer was disturbed by the room being entered throughout the day. Isn't this what occurs in all establishments when cleaning staff make beds, vacuum, replace or dry wet towels etc?
Although I am a pet owner to two cats and a dog, I am not in the habit of taking animals on holiday. However, I would imagine it would be a requirement of health inspectors that sleeping and eating areas be thoroughly aired and cleaned to eliminate odours and pet hair. It would be therefore reasonable to expect a cottage that had a dog residing in it, would be aired and an additional cost would be incurred for shampooing carpets.
I would advise anyone considering staying at Winter Rose Cottage to take into consideration all postings on this site to obtain an overall objective review.
My husband and I enjoyed our stay and we would recommend it to others. Thank your for your hospitality Ann Maree.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

I would like to start my review by informing all readers that I have stayed in many B&Bs around Australia and abroad. To this day I have never been so disturbed by a B&B as I had in this place.
Upon arrival we were approached by a woman who started barking her rules at us before we had a chance to turn our engine off. There were so many ridiculous rules to follow from where we had to park in line with the gate to making sure our puppy doesn't break a flower in the garden, after saying our puppy was free to roam. About an hour after our arrival (which was delayed substantially by her as she didn't have the room ready) I was in the bathroom preparing to go out and the woman who owns the granny flat (which is by no means an historical cottage) stormed into our room unaware i was there and yelled 'oh my gosh' very hatefully and turned both lights off ( we had turned them on as it was dusk). I was told to 'be more frugal with the lights'. I had to turn the bathroom light back on to finish getting ready. Every evening we arrived back from our day at about 8pm after the Bathurst show. On both evenings our space was invaded and all windows were open in 3 degree temperature. We had left all of our belongings in the room and came home to an insecure cold room. The old screen door had been ripped off the track because she couldn't get into OUR room when we had left. When we came home we thought we had been broken into. I approached the woman. She rudely told me that she had removed the screen door because we didn't shut it properly (after locking the main glass door)and it got jammed when she tried to open it. All that was needed was to put it back on its track, yet she angrily ripped it off the track screw and all and had it rested against the cottage wall then proceeded to accuse us of breaking her property and said we had to fix it. The bathroom was not cleaned, the sheets weren't changed, the towels were not replaced, there was no soap, and the few tea cups we left in the sink had not been rinsed. When i asked her why she came in, she replied ' to clean'. She came in there to open the windows and curtains and god knows what else. Nothing had been cleaned, however she did vaccum the floor. Our bags were rearranged on the beds, even our personal belongings were moved.

If you choose to stay in the PET FRIENDLY granny flat with a pet you are charged an additional $25, even if your dog doesn't make any mess. I questioned this charge and she told me it was to have the carpets professionally cleaned. I asked her to show me the receipt and she said she does it herself with her own cleaning product. The carpet is approximately 6x4m in area. On top of the carpet is a queen bed, two bedside tables, a couch, a coffee table and a single bed with an additional mattress. She only cleans around this furniture. You can understand my amazement that someone can charge additional costs of $25 and still complain they had to do it, keeping in mind there was not one mark made by us on the carpet and she was using already purchased materials. After charging the astronomical fee she complained about our kelpie pup putting his moist little nose on the sliding door and said she had to spend time cleaning it. I asked her why it was an issue for her to wipe the bottom quarter of the glass door. She turned and walked off to her heritage cottage which had a raging open fire going in it.

She was argumentative, rude, unpleasant and cruel and sneaky, I highly recommend you find alternate accommodation in Bathurst as you should not have to pay $345.00 for 2 nights to have your windows left wide open and to be abused after a long day spent with your sick mother for her birthday. I was so saddened to think that someone could be so horrible on such a lovely day and after meeting so many lovely hard working farmers at the show.

The granny flat was very outdated, very very cold, we even had to put the electric blanket on the bed ourselves. There is a door that is locked inside the granny flat and you are not permitted access to- a little too spooky for mum and I.

Everyday our flat was unlocked and our things had been moved. It was so invasive and on a few occasions we felt like there was someone lurking in the 'spooky room'. A DVD player was advertised and only a VCR was provided.

After driving 5 hours to spend the weekend with mum to have it ruined by a tyrant was just hopeless.

Lastly to top it off when I told her $345.00 was too much to be treated like this she shut her front door in my face 'laughing, saying thanks for your money'.

We were also blamed for scratching her furniture, something that was untrue. What a horrible frightening experience.

Thanks for ruining my mothers birthday Anne-Maree.

• Stayed April 2012
Lisarow nsw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My wife and I were fortunate to experience the hospitality of Anne Marie and the lovely accommodation at Winter Rose cottage. We stayed for 2 nights and found it all very enjoyable. Our room was spacious and comfortable. B&B is not our usual choice of accommodation but we were very pleased with the whole experience. Well done and thank you Anne Marie. Alan and Dee

Room Tip: We booked the Gold Room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
winter-roseBathurst, Owner at Winter-Rose Cottage B&B, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear Alan and Dee,
Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure having you at Winter-Rose Cottage.
Hope you will continue to go to B&Bs.
Kind regards,
Anne Marie
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We have just spent a very comfortable night in the self contained cottage.It is spacious and quiet with a lovely little private verandah to relax on.The surrounding cottage garden is delightful and was a lovely place to eat our excellent takeaway dinner from the local Lebanese restauant. We also enjoyed the walk along the river which is within easy walking distance from the B&B. Anne-Marie's breakfast the next morning was delicious - especially her home made jams! Make sure you buy some of her jams to enjoy later at home!

Room Tip: The cottage costs a bit more but is self-contained and very private.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
winter-roseBathurst, Owner at Winter-Rose Cottage B&B, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Just sent you a thanks for your review but forgot to say that I found it on Trip Advisor and the thanks came from Winter-Rose Cottage
Bathurst

Been to Winter-Rose Cottage B&B? Share your experiences!