“Stay away from this filthy motel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Reef Motor Inn

Reef Motor Inn
You added Reef Motor Inn to your Saves list
Reef Motor Inn
3.5 of 5 Motel   |   27 Clyde Street, Batemans Bay, New South Wales 2536, Australia   |
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Batemans Bay
Sydney
“Stay away from this filthy motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The variances in room quality of BW properties is enormous - some very good - unfortunately some very bad. Still charge a premium price though. The one I'm at now is one of the very bad ones (Reef Motor Inn, Batemans Bay), problems are:- Room smells disgusting, has not been vacuumed (lots of crumbs, lint etc), old carpet with stains, visible dust on furniture, enormous build-up of dirt around bathroom floor along walls, a shower curtain not screen - so water goes all over the floor and around toilet (I don't come across shower curtains often anymore) , cobwebs around lights/ceiling, sofa that looks like its covered in felt - a very cheap look and feel - with stains, an old old fridge with so much build-up of ice in freezer it was unusable, chip/scratched furniture, old broken furniture, broken fittings, dirty walls, dull lighting, No tissues in tissue holder, no basin plug, mould in grouting in bathroom and abysmal hot water pressure which needed to be adjusted constantly due to temperature changes.
All in all a very budget type room which is run down and not worth the money - in fact I have stayed at many "Budget Chain" motels which have been far better and nearly half the price. The outside of the property looks very drab and uncared for.
The motel advertises itself as "Executive Queen Room, newly refurbished, offering a brand new othopedic queen bed, HD LCD Television with Austar, Mini-Bar, work desk, lounge, High speed wireless internet (At Charge)". This is an outright lie and false advertising. Executive room??? The room is not newly refurbished, far from it. There is no mini bar. The "new" beds are uncomfortable and look very cheaply made. The internet failed to work most of the time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

As the title suggests, don't be fooled by star ratings and fancy website pictures.. what you see is not what you get.

After my stay, I rate this place 2 stars not 3-4 and you pay $130 a night for a single.
The rooms have never been updated (they still have single flush toilets), the carpet was greasy and filthy, mould in the bathroom.
I suspect the tariffs are keeping the restaurant running which is overpriced..

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Ashford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

A very average budget motel. The room was very drab and unexciting but clean, not really up to the usual Best Western standards. It gave the impression just doing enough to get by and not making any effort to add any extras.

The one saving grace was it did provide a reasonable free WiFi service. Good location close to shops and restaurants

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
penrith
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

We chose this Motel over others in the area as it had a pool. We checked in around 7.30pm and when reading the compendium in the room it stated that the pool was open until 10pm. After a 5 hour drive we were really looking forward to a refreshing swim so we got changed and our very excited 3 year old grabbed his pool toys and we headed off. When we got to the pool we discovered it wasn't in use and according to staff hadn't been for some time. The water was dirty and the cover was lying screwed up on the ground.

We had to find someone to unlock the laundry and were told we had to be quick even though according to the compendium the laundry was supposed to be open at that time.

The restaurant and bar are obviously more important than the accomodation, and appeared to be quite popular, unfortunately all we could hear until past midnight was glass bottles being disposed of in the bins, every time this happened we were woken up. The noise of patrons of the restaurant and bar also made it difficult to sleep.

In the bathroom there was a sign asking that the showers be turned on for at least 2-5 mins before use as they had a new hot water system - a ridiculous waste of water - unfortunately the water temperature isn't constant and changes throughout the shower. There is zero water pressure, we had to fill a jug from the basin to rinse shampoo out of our hair, and showers took longer because of this.

We would not stay here again, very poor value for money, especially when the facilities advertised are not really available.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
nsw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

So it was with a little trepidation that I opted to stay here. The reviews weren't great but to be honest I've tried a few accommodation options in the Bay now and most have been less than average so I did not hold much hope. HOWEVER I was to be proved wrong by the reef. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the room was more than adequate. All I really need is a comfortable bed - check, good temperature - check, quiet - check ++, good shower - not so good but they did have a note in the bathroom warning to run the shower for a while before getting in. This was ok but I'm a bit of a greenie and so was a little freaked out by the water waste. So on to the real reason for such a good review. THE FOOD. I had room service one night and it was superb. So much so that I ate in the second night. The mostly seafood menu did not disappoint. The owner and chef brought me my meal and was a little too friendly but I was not offended nor overly concerned as a lone female. I ever struck up a conversation with the table next to me also there for business who said they had tried a lot of places in the bay and this is the only one they will stay at now mainly because of the food. So that is a good recommendation from sales staff on the road all the time. I would definitely go back. +++

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

I have traveled extensively and have not found a restaurant that comes close to this one. The staff are great and the service is outstanding. The food here is easily the best I have had. I have been here for business trips with fellow workers and all have said the same thing. My rooms have always been clean and tidy and have met my needs. The staff always welcome me and my family and I will defiantly keep coming back. Great location, great staff and the best food around.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff, explain what you need, they are extremely helpful, I booked a work trip for all...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Leeton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

The room was really overpriced and was advertised as an executive room when in reality it was a standard room. I really felt like we had been "ripped off" from the word go. We only stayed one night of the long weekend and I had a preconceived notion that accomodation would be hard to get. We booked on line and I pressured myself into booking when it flashed up "Hurry only one room left". In fact there were plenty of rooms left and plenty of accomodation available in town. We paid $190 for the room and we were met with a sign which stated $220 a night for two including dinner and breakfast - which added further to my feeling of being ripped off. The room was basic with a tiny bathroom and while very clean we were woken by our neighbour coughing up a lung or two. It is located on the river and only a short walk to the town centre so that part was good. Had the price been $100 a night I would have felt better about the place. There are plenty of other options available at a much cheaper cost with higher quality rooms. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Reef Motor Inn? Share your experiences!