“Excellent mid range motel, highly recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Abbotsleigh Motor Inn
76 Barney St, Armidale, New South Wales 2350, Australia   |
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Armidale
Lismore, Australia
“Excellent mid range motel, highly recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I booked into this motel online and wasn't expecting to get in till' quite late. The staff member called me while I was on the road to confirm my res as well as leave the key under the mat for my late arrival. She then called back to let me know there would be fresh milk in the fridge and inform me of the free breakfast I had qualified for. The room was very clean and well equipped with an above average quality bed. Everything worked and was easy to use after a long day driving. The breakfast was simple but ample with good fresh coffee (all that matters really). I would definitely stay again as the the staff were friendly and ran a respectable establishment- well done

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We had previously stayed next door (Country Comfort) a few times so thought we'd give Abbotsleigh a go when we saw it through Wotif for less than we were accustomed to paying.
We booked a "Deluxe Suite" for $108 and the deal included continental breakfasts. The room was almost at the back of the motel so very quiet. Room was extremely comfortable and above average size, no problems with check-in or check-out and the breakfast was fine - good range of cereals & fruit & a couple of types of bread to toast.
Free wireless internet, but we could only get 2 bars and speed was so-so.

All in all, a painless and enjoyable stay - no worries! It was well worth the money & we had a very comfortable night.

For those not familiar with Armidale, the motel is pretty central - only 2 blocks from the CBD, supermarket & bowling club.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010 via mobile

I am a rep that travels Australia I have stayed in many motels in the past. On arrival the staffed were very friendly and talkative. I got the feeling it is family owned and run. The budget rooms were a touch small so I opted for the next size up being a queen room but I guess that's why the call them budgets. Although I dis look at them and can honstly say there was nothing wrong with them just small. My room had new carpets and paint looked very fresh to. The meal I had was very nice like I said I go to many hotel. The meal was one of the nicest I've had in a motel. I was very happy with my stay there and will come back. I will recommend this to my friends and co workers

• Stayed August 2010
Queensland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

It was obvious that when we checked in we had "rudely disturbed" the time of those at receptoin. How dare we do that. A very cold welcome and a rude front desk team. We had stayed at this motel a few years ago, totally different then. Staff use to be happy and welcoming then. What has happened? Rooms have been renovated but look like they need to have a make over just the same. Cold drap colours and dirty carpet doesn't make for a relaxing stay. An older cleaning lady was busy telling some other guests their room was not ready and they should come back at check in time??? Cleary annoyed at the couples arrival. She could be heared complaining to other cleaners about the office booking them in that room. Then the other cleaners began to winge and bag out the office staff. My wife and I heared all sorts of attacks coming from the elderly lady about her other work collegues. She is clearly unhappy there and should consider retirement as we just wanted a peaceful quiet room and was put amongst a staff winging session. None of the cleaners had a nice thing to say and was all backstabbing the other. How sad we thought. I wonder where the staff have all gone from the time we had stayed there before. The cleaners back then were the most happy and welcoming and fun going staff my wife and I had ever had the pleasure of seeing and talking to. There use to be a little cleaner who couldn't help or do enough for you. The managers back then had told us she was the best in the buisness and had been there for many years. Where are you, we would like to come and stay where you work. Obviously you could put up with the disgrace of it all either. Give the Abbotsleigh a miss if you don't want to be treated like a nusiance or hear old cleaning ladies putting down the other cleaners. A very disappointing stay for us.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Omg, I have read these reviews and i feel that you people are very picky.. the staff were great, very friendly and couldn't help me enough, they gave me plenty of details with the area and the rooms to me look brand new they have been painted with new carpets the quilts look amazing and brand new as do the curtains, it was cheap at under $100 for 2 people. I would defiantly recommend this hotel to others and i will defanatly be back. Its a shame you get a few people who write a bad comment and make other people feel like they should not go there. And the Food.. OMG it was the best meal i have had in ages. This place was great but maybe you should find out for yourself.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Aachen, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

Where should I start?
Maybe with the reception desk, which was clearly unhappy with having to deal with guests disturbing their rest.
Or perhaps with the room, which looked old at best. A closer inspection would also show that the cleaning was left to the roaches (I had to kill a few before falling asleep... it was a long night). The stained, smelly carpet should be disposed of in an incinerator...
The bathroom was anything but clean, apart from being small.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

The family room was small but ok - the bathroom was tiny! Wouldn't say it was value for money as we stayed at the next place in Tenterfield for $5 more in a luxury apartment - and it was! The worse thing about the Abbotsleigh was that the hosts seemed to find guests to be an interuption to their day - we didn't feel a sense of hospitality at all and certainly didn't feel welcomed! We won't be staying at this motel again and certainly woundn't recommend it to anyone. GIVE IT A MISS. CERTAINLY NOT 3 AND HALF STAR RATING IN OUR VIEW.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Abbotsleigh Motor Inn? Share your experiences!