“80's decor and even worse 80's music - everywhere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Atura Albury

You added Atura Albury to your Saves list
Atura Albury
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   648 Dean St | Cnr Dean and Elizabeth Streets Albury, Albury, New South Wales 2640, Australia (Formerly Rydges Albury)   |
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Albury
nsw
“80's decor and even worse 80's music - everywhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

So recently stated here for work. It was very convenient in that regard. Very close to the CBD and ample parking with lots of choice for dining close by. The room its self was very clean and quiet and had all that I required however it felt terribly dated. The layout was also really bizarre with the lifts being the centre of the floor and many rooms behind it so it felt like a rabbit warren. At times it felt rather spooky. Also they have music and I mean BAD music piped everywhere. You can literally hear it before you enter the building. It is on 24/7 from what I could gather. In the restaurant and even in the toilet. I don't mind a little background music but this like 80's shoulder pads. Loud and proud. I would recommend the buffet breakfast which was one of the best I've had in the hotel in a long while. The housekeeping, room service (which was also very good, if somewhat hap hazard - order nachos and they came with no sour cream or guacamole but a quick phone call rectified that quick smart), bar and wait staff were all very friendly and professional however the reception could do with some improvement. I had difficulties paying with an authorized credit card number through work and yet they wanted to physically see the card. I didn't have the card. I've never had a company card and it has never been a problem anywhere else not even in other Rydges so I was not sure what the problem was but it was a BIG problem. Numerous phone calls and in the end they wanted a copy of my own credit card - but I was not paying for the room the company was. Anyway I complied and was not charged however in my experience as a business hotel this is not normal practice. So a mixed bag or should I say a bad mixed tape.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
K_Tomas, Manager at Atura Albury, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks for your comments and we appreciate such detailed feedback regarding guests stays.

Sometimes a flash back to the 80's sparks great memories and we do have a lot of guests that comment on our music selection but along with the 80's selection we do have more modern and contemporary music which plays.

Thanks for your recommendation of the RISE Buffet breakfast, it is a great way to start the day and offers such a wide variety for people to choose from.

When we have guests wanting to pay via third parties, the paperwork involved can sometimes be inconvenient but I am sure that you appreciate that the hotel needs to get the correct details to ensure no future issue occur. This should be the standard practice within all businesses as we do this to protect yours and other companies against fraud.

Kirsty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Henty
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I decided to give this place another go as The Manor House was fully booked. We chose the Executive Spa room on the top floor as we needed a night of indulgence. The room was nothing special, therefore not much had changed really since the five years we were there last. The bed was a nightmare- we both kept rolling to the middle. We told reception about it upon check out.
The water was hot and the view was fantastic from the seventh floor. It wasn't all bad!

Room Tip: Seventh floor facing Dean street will be the best view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
K_Tomas, Manager at Atura Albury, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hi Felicity,

It was great to hear that you and your husband gave us the opportunity to showcase the hotel on your recent trip to Albury.

You made a great choice with our Executive Spa Suite as a treat and I am pleased that you enjoyed the views from the top floor.

It is a shame that you found the bed uncomfortable but thank you for advising reception.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel the next time you are coming to Albury.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Rydges Albury ticks all the boxes for a good business hotel, but be warned that the decor in the rooms is a little tired but well maintained if you are not anal about new bathrooms - however, my other colleagues advised that the 7th floor has been renovated. Apart from that, everything is fine - very clean and comfortable - stayed here for two weeks and the service was also good. Rydges is right in the centre of town, with free car parking and a large variety of restaurants within walking distance along the very long main street.

Albury/Wodonga is also a great little city to base yourself to explore the country of this fascinating region of Australia - old buildings, beautiful botanic gardens and parks long the Murray River (which separates NSW and Victoria). The locals are very friendly - lots of wineries, old gold rush towns (Beechworth is particularly impressive for a day trip) and great for country drives - all within an hour of Albury. Hopefully will go back one day for a cycling holiday as the infrastructure is very good, particularly on the Victoria side of the border... shame on you NSW!!!

Room Tip: Request 7th floor.
K_Tomas, Manager at Atura Albury, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you so much for providing feedback from you recent stay, it is always great to hear such positive feedback. You are a great ambassador for the hotel and for the Albury Wodonga area and you are right regarding the hotels location, we are very lucky to be in the heart of the main street of Albury which is ideal for anyone visiting the area on business or leisure.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you are in the area.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here for one night last week. I stayed here specifically because it's one of the old 1970s Travelodge tri-arc design hotels (you can also find them in Darwin, Geelong, Camperdown and Melbourne Airport - all under different branding these days), which I find quite interesting - there's something appealing about that curvy three-sided design that just appeals to me. The room layout in these hotels are all identical but I always find it interesting to see the different ways that the ground floor and public rooms have been remodelled and laid out. For what it's worth, I think this one has done the best job with the bar and restaurant layout.

But back to the review. The location on Dean Street is great - easy access to bars and restaurants and very central. The onsite restaurant and bar is light and airy and a nice space. I also had a room service dinner and it was really good value - tasty food, generous portions, and not overpriced.

My room (914) was spacious but in need of a revamp. It still sports furnishings from its pre-Rydges days when I think it was a Country Comfort and it lacks the lovely Rydges Dream Bed (indeed, my bed was pretty saggy and tired). I suspect they must have a plan to update the rooms soon as they look like they have reached their use-by date - apart from the saggy mattress on the bed, I have to say the couch looked pretty sad. The bathroom also needs a remodel.

However, the location is central and quiet, staff are friendly (one of the rare occasions where a reception person bother to ask me on check out how my stay had been), there is plenty of onsite parking, and you get to stay in a cool tri-arc building...

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel and for appreciating the classic architecture of the design on the hotel exterior and the redesign of the hotel's food and beverage outlets on the ground floor.

We are fortunate to be the most centrally located hotel in Albury and within walking distance to the key Albury attractions.

The hotel is certainly planning a face lift to our guest rooms in the near future to include the furnishings and the bathrooms. Although the rooms may be tired, I am so pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and hospitable.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mandurah, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We had originally booked for two nights only, the Monday on arrival from Melbourne by train, and on the Friday prior to returning to Melbourne. Due to an unfortunate situation with our accommodation in Bright, I rang Rydges at 11.30pm on the Tuesday night, to see if they could accommodate us for the extra two nights in that week. They were able to do so, and as a result, we had four lovely nights accommodation. We found the room was very comfortable, warm, and clean. Two very comfortable queen size beds, and loads of cupboard space. We would not hesitate to return to this hotel on our next holiday in Albury.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room on the 4th floor, overlooking the main street of Albury and the hills in the ba...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Norma,

Thank you for your feedback and I am so pleased that we were able to accommodate you during your recent stay and that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Albury hospitality offered at Rydges Albury.

The size of our rooms are larger than the average hotel room, which is great when you are staying for a little longer and want to unpack and feel like you are at home.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are travelling our way.

Gelston Park
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

A good sized room with an old torn sofa. The towels were quite small and worn, not what I expect from a Rydges property. The bar was good but the staff seemed to be a bit confused at times about the Priority Rewards Card .A good location, across the road from the Commercial Club where I was attending a conference. Not expensive.

Dear Christine,

Thanks for your feedback and that is a shame that you did not feel that the hotel product met your expectations. We are planning some enhancement to our product in the near future.

The hotels location is ideal for anyone travelling to Albury, especially if you are attending a conference at the Commercial Club as we are right across the road.

Hopefully we will get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Shepparton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I've stayed at the Rydges Albury a couple of times for business.
Both the rooms I had were clean and tidy. Nothing fancy but nor did it promise to be.
I thought both rooms I had were of a decent size and the bathroom was spotless.
I agree with other reviews that a facelift wouldn't hurt but honestly for the price (I got a last minute special for around $100 for room only) I have nothing to complain about.
The best thing about this hotel is the location. Very close to restaurants, pubs, cafes etc.
The view from the room over the carpark was pretty blah but again, i've never seen this hotel boast about beautiful views so I didn't expect any!
Had room service a couple of times. As with any hotel, room service is overpriced but when you're hungry and desperate, you expect to pay more for room service. And what I had was reasonable.
I have nothing to complain about for the price and the purpose of my visit. I will stay at the hotel again as it is convenient for my business purposes in Albury.
Front desk staff were ok. Not rude but not overly welcoming. It was nothing in particular they did, it was more the lack of smile, and lack of asking how my stay was. But on the other hand, a couple of staff I encountered were very pleasant.

K_Tomas, Manager at Atura Albury, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and you are right, the hotel is ideally located in the heart of Albury and is walking distance to everything that a visitor to Albury needs, whether you are travelling on business or pleasure.

It is a shame that the reception staff did not make you feel welcomed, this will be addressed with our Front Office Manager as this is the most important thing when staying at any hotel, you must feel welcomed.

Thanks again for choosing Rydges when you are in Albury and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Regards

Kirsty

Been to Atura Albury? Share your experiences!