“Lived up to expectation” 4 of 5 stars

Quality Hotel on Olive
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   579 Olive St, Albury, New South Wales 2640, Australia   |
Ranked #10 of 31 hotels in Albury
Wollongong
“Lived up to expectation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

We stayed here for one night on our way to Melbourne largly based on the positive reviews here, and we weren't dissapointed. We had two rooms which were very well appointed and renovated with clean functional bathrooms. The tropical themed pool was a welcome respite to the 30 degree heat and 6 hours on the road. I met the assistant manager who runs a tight ship and makes sure that everybodies wellbeing is respected. I would definately consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

Great hotel with central location. Hotel and rooms feel a little dated but overall a good spot to stay!

• Stayed December 2010
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We were aiming to stay in Bright but arrived to find the place over taken by a custom car rally. Albury was the nearest place we could get a room! By the time we arrived it was gone 9:00pm and we were exhausted. It made all the difference to be greeted by a very friendly fella on reception who offered to have the in house restaurant stay open for us.

While this is an older building it has obviously been refurbished to a very comfortable standard. We were very happy with our room. The bathroom wasn't huge but big enough. The bedroom itself was quite roomy and the furnishings were modern and well thought out. Good flat panel TV, writing desk, comfy chair, coffee table, neat area for luggage.

The meal in the restaurant was lovely. It's not a cheap option but the quality was there so we were quite happy.

The manager was in reception the next morning and keen to know how our stay had been.

It's obvious that this place cares about getting it right and we thought it was a great balance between price and quality. Well done guys!

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

We stayed 3 nights during a driving holiday. We really like Albury , but always stayed in small motels in the past, so we thought we'd treat ourselves to the Quality Hotel. Turns out the Quality was really no better than those local motels for what we needed and cost about 50% more. One of the room pictures on the website shows a sleek modern room with flat screen tv and new bed, but I think the reality is the standard rooms are all in the old 70's style. There was a convention (NSW LGA 2010) in town and on the Monday night the room next door was partying -- not horribly loud but obvious to hear everything when trying to sleep. At 12:30am I called the front desk and asked if they could get the guests to stop -- the man hestitated, then said 'ok, I'll come up'...as if I had made some odd request. Well at 1:30 am the party was still going and we were still being bothered . I had to go over myself and tell the people to knock it off.
During the daytime the staff were always outgoing friendly and welcoming, so it would be good if the night shift could improve their service.
Another turn off, there is a huge stain on the carpet of the front lobby -- this is the first thing people see when they walk in -- its not clear why it's not been cleaned or replaced.
Yes the restaurant is probably one of the best in town...if you like to spend $100 on a meal then it's for you, but it seemed way too expensive for a run of the mill Quality Hotel.
I would have preferred to stay at the Quest Apartments which was the same price, but it was all booked out -- I assumed the Quality would be comparable since it is the same price, but no such luck.
As for internet , it worked really well for me, however the chair was far too low for the desk space. Again, for the price we were paying we expect these small things to be better thought out.
Although the front desk was constantly monitoring the lobby, there is no card key security for elevators or rooms... just another thing I had assumed was standard at Quality Hotels these days.
I say unless you need an expensive restaurant or access to guest laundry, you'll get a better deal at a local motor inn.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I arrived here with my 8yo son after a trip from Canberra where we'd stayed at a rowdy hotel the night before. As we stepped into the lift, two men were taking a small bar fridge to the 3rd floor and joking with a third man about having a party. "Are they having a party?" I asked this third man after they'd left. "Not in my hotel, they're not", he replied. This turned out to be the manager; he warmly introduced himself and told me reception was available 24/7 to deal with any problems, and I shouldn't hesitate to ring if we were disturbed in the night.
This was music to my ears. We stayed in a room on the 4th floor with a queen bed and one single; the room was the right size for its bedding, the bathroom was great (walk-in shower, so no messing about with a clingy shower curtain) water pressure good - but people with young children will need to take care as the hot water temperature is scalding hot on its own rather than being limited to 50C. The furnishings are modern without being overwhelmingly or intimidatingly so; the colour scheme warm and inviting. The curtains are lined with proper blockout so the heat stays in and the sun doesn't wake you up. The carpets, to be sure, are probably nearing replacement stage - but this is the kind of investment that a GFC can delay by a year or two until things pick up again. The staff were uniformly authentically friendly, happy, gracious and obliging. I had my own wireless internet access so can't speak for that; but the TV was easy to work, the heater very efficient, the beds and bedding very comfortable. There's a big, free car park. So far, so good.
What really sets this place head and shoulders above the rest however is its restaurant - the setting and the food are superb, so much so that I'd recommend you eat there whether or not you're staying at the hotel. It is no dearer to get room service for breakfast (you select and pay for each item individually, rather than there being a set rate for the whole meal - and then it's $5 to have it brought to your room) than it is to go downstairs to the restaurant to eat, and the food is simply divine - I understand the chef is female and very dedicated. We stayed here both going down and returning from the Great Ocean Drive and on the second occasion had dinner in our rooms - dessert was "Tunisian Citrus Samosas with Almond Ice-Cream and Citrus Salad" - it was out of this world! All the food was good. Proper muesli for breakfast. The setting is lovely as they have a small and very pretty pool in the courtyard that the resturant looks out on. The staff were friendly and engaging with my child and offered paper and pencils for colouring in. There are newspapers available, unlimited coffee... what more could you want?
Having travelled quite a lot recently I can confidently say this place out-performs many places that cost up to twice as much. It may not look like much from the outside - being an unprepossessing four story white brick building - but it's brilliant - the best place I've stayed in for a long time. Don't miss it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

When we arrived, reception was modern, staff friendly, and we were given 'real' milk for a cuppa which was nice, and crayons and colouring for the kids.
Our room however was tiny, with a queen bed and 2 singles almost shoe horned in. There was no bath for the kids (you'd expect this is a family room) and the room was not only unrenovated, but needed a coat of fresh paint and new carpet. Although the bathroom was quite 70's it was very clean, and the location is good walking distance to shops, restaurants, and supermarket. Breakfast was lovely, however we had to pay an extra $12 for cooked breakfast (on top of the $179 special family deal which included breakfast...just not cooked). I don't think we would stay here again, and the room we were in we would not have considered 4 star.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

Only stayed for one night but found the staff helpful and friendly and the room comfortable. Had a great evening meal in the restaurant. The only complaint I have, and it's only a small one is that the wireless internet in my room was so slow as to be of almost no use.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Quality Hotel on Olive? Share your experiences!