“We had a good time!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wagon Wheels Country Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanwell Tops
You added Wagon Wheels Country Retreat to your Saves list
20-24 Lawrence Hargrave Dr, Stanwell Tops, New South Wales 2508 , Australia   |
Sydney
“We had a good time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

OK we booked before reading the reviews (doh!) but were able to get last minute easter accomdation. we were 3 adults and 3 children. I called the manager before we came and told him our concerns, and he said they had been addressed, so we proceeded, thinking we were aware of the issues and would work with them!

We had 3 rooms in the main house - we were 3 adults and 3 children. The sheets/towels were clean, rooms tidy, bathrooms clean. On saying that the whole house could do with a spring clean (cobwebs, a little dusty).
The kitchens especially needed a good clean (esp the fridge), but nothing we could not deal with - we washed everying before using it so once this was done it was fine. We brought all our own food, and we brought our coffee machine and grinder (which we always do wherever we can :-)

The kids had a massive attic room which they loved. Luckily for us there were no other people staying so we ended up havin the whole house to ourselves. The house is quirky (one of the bathrooms is the size of an apartment with its own resident gnone!). Geoffrey is a charactor, and has lots of stories and always seemed be pop up when we needed hime and was gone when we did not. Anything we needed he attended to very pleasantly.
There is a donkey, 3 alpacas, a cow, a pony and a shetland - the kids had a blast feeding them (geoffrey kindly arranged some food for them to feed the animals). We picked yummy persimmons, walked to the falls, lunch at a hotel on a cliff down the road. Lots to do in the area.

It would have been nice if the pool was swimable - hopefully this gets sorted. Wagon Wheels just needs a big spring clean and someone to come do the cleaning between guests - I think it is too much work for geoffrey on his own.

Overall we had a fabulous weekend. If you are up for some adventure then it is great fun, but maybe its not for everyone?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed in this hovel over Easter and It has to be the filthiest most disgusting joint in Australia outside of the local tip! The owner Jeffrey was to supply breakfast but it turned out to be half a bottle of left being juice that previous guests (victims), soft brown apple slices, old grapes and a plastic jug of stale milk.

Our sheets had been slept in and the (white??) pillow cases had a yellow tinge of colour on them.

TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT HIS RESPONCE TO OLD NEGATIVE POSTS -
He claims to have been away and blames casual staff for the filthy conditions BUT if you read the reviews they mention that he is there at the time of their stay. ALSO he is stupid enough to put his excuse on a (rare) good review???

TRUST ME - this guy is a con artist, a liar, thief and a lazy so & so!

Everything about the floors, filth, furniture, beds etc in other reviews is 100% accurate and the pool looked like a green swamp.

Do what others say - KEEP DRIVING.

I PITY ANYONE THAT HE HAS CONNED INTO BOOKING THIS PLACE.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Stinson17954, Manager at Wagon Wheels Country Retreat, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
We would like to take this opportunity to thank our customer’s who took the trouble to leave their reviews, it is very much appreciated.

We wish to advise that we are listening to our customer’s feedbacks and have made some very important changes at Wagon Wheels Country Retreat. They are as follows:
• All milk, margarine, honey, jam, vegemite & peanut butter will be in sealed containers
• Due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control with the swimming pool, this matter is being rectified and will be ready for the future swimming season.

Geoffrey Pybus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My partner and I unfortunately paid for a room before reading the reviews on Trip Advisor.

I note that Geoffrey has put responses on Trip Advisor saying he "was away". Well I can tell you very clearly that he was there every second of the day so he can't run away from this review so easily.

I was told the meadow room would face the swimming pool and it didn't. The room was rather small given the price we paid. I was also told it was a continental breakfast. We were given bread to toast ourselves in the room with jam that had been shared by previous travellers and a plate of cut fruit. There was a jug of milk (uncovered) which we had no clue how long it had been there.

The furniture was old and looked like it had been picked up from second-hand stores.

The room was extremely dirty. The floor had dust and hair all around, breadcrumbs on the fridge, microwave and benches. The fridge, cupboards and microwave were very dirty - food marks and finger marks that clearly were accumulated over time. The crockery and cutlery were not clean - we needed to clean everything before using it.

The entire room was dusty and filthy.

The bathroom mirror and sink were not clean and the shower had a lot of soap scum as well as pink and black coloured bacteria and mould. The blue bath-mat was stained and dirty brown with footprints. The bath was dusty and had hair in it.

Inside the bedspread was other peoples' hair. The mattress was old, creaky, soft and dipped in the middle. Very uncomfortable.

The swimming pool had green slimy water with duck poo and feathers floating in it so we didn't dare to go in the water.

This place was so grossly unclean. We paid approx $170 for it which was a complete rip-off.

This is by no means a farm stay - it's a large property with approx 5 animals.

For the price, we expected a clean room and this was a huge disappointment. Geoffrey is ripping off all his guests. Given all these reviews, he's doing it intentionally. He has not improved anything given all the scathing reviews go back quite some time. Do yourself a favour - NEVER STAY AT WAGON WHEELS.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this place. Look for a different hotel/B&B/Guesthouse!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Groffrey Pybus
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Do not stay here!! I went here with my boyfriend as we had a voucher from living social, we paid $50 extra to stay in the tranquility suite. Point is it was so gross just in the entrance of the foyer we waited at a crooked desk that I suppose they call reception for 30 mins and no one came. After a walk around of the property we got in the car and took off. I felt like I was in the opening scene of the Texas chain saw massacre. We drove to Wollongong and stayed at chifley towers instead.

• Stayed March 2012
Stinson17954, Manager at Wagon Wheels Country Retreat, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
The review mentioned refers to a period of time when I (Geoff the owner) was abroard on holidays. Casual staff were employed at that time. Upon my return I found the property in a discusting condition which was upsetting to say the least for me. As a result of the condition the casual staff were summarily dismissed and I have since employed a Manager (Peter & Stella) to operate the property in my absence.

I would like to apologise for the experience these travellers were subjected to and an incident like this will not reoccur.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

The worst, dirtiest place I have ever stayed in or seen in Australia.

I am not sure how this place stays open.

Keep well well away. Disgusting absolutely filthy, with a leaky roof that had a bucket on the floor to catch the water.

• Stayed March 2012
Stinson17954, Owner at Wagon Wheels Country Retreat, responded to this review, March 25, 2013

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I spent a lovely relaxing weekend at Wagon Wheels two weeks ago. We found it to be a relaxing and enjoyable break. Its a farm stay, not a 5 star hotel. Geoffrey is a real card and has some amazing stories. The animals were awesome, bought quite a few apples and carrots and became friends with them. Having our own BBQ was brilliant for us in the evenings as we just chilled with some wine and cheese and then popped some dinner on. If you did not have something in your room, it was no trouble to get Geoffrey to bring it. He is a funny man on his own presently, fingers crossed his wife comes to Australia soon and he will have help on the estate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My Husband & I had a Living Social Voucher and stayed in the ‘Tranquility Suite’. To say we were unimpressed with the state of the Accommodation is a huge understatement! We are attempting to get a refund, or at the very least get a refund on our next voucher. That’s right...we were stupid enough to buy 2 of them, thinking that Wagon Wheels Looked Fantastic on the Website!!) But old Geoffrey and all his wild horses, donkeys and Alpacas put together couldn’t drag us back to that filthy Hell Hole!

Here’s a list of just some of the lovely treats waiting for us in our room:

- A Used Packet of CC's & Dead Fly under the Bedside Table
- Thick tumbleweeds of dust under the bed, couch and all the furniture
- Disgusting & Stained dirty blue bathmat
- Thick Dust on the TV and TV Stand
- Filthy, uncleaned Toilet seat
- Food Scraps & Stains around the floor of the Fridge
- Water leaking out onto the floor in front of the fridge
- Dirty, used kitchen cloths
- Pre-Used Cakes of Soap at the top of the shower recess
- Dirty brown stained tiles

In addition to this, we did not receive the full Continental Breakfast as promised. There was some sliced Watermelon on a tray and some fruit cut into a bowl when we arrived. Both were loosely covered with Gladwrap, but there was a full tray of water above them (in the fridge) which continually dripped water onto the wrapped fruit and eventually onto the fruit itself. We didn't eat anything supplied and we lived on Take away or meals out for our whole stay. Everything was dirty to touch. We never opened any butter, jam or vegemite Jars but by the sounds of some peoples reviews, We are very glad we didn’t!

So, one would draw assumption that Geoffrey (the owner) was scared of a bit of hard work, but when we drove past the main house during our stay, there he was standing in the middle of the water fountain (knee deep in mud) and nearly breaking his back scrubbing the fountain so hard! What could be worse than that? And it didn’t even need cleaning! It’s a fountain for god sakes! It’s meant to have that rustic look. Unlike our shower and toilet bowl. I had to bite my tongue and not yell out to him to get over and clean our room instead! But that was when we still thought he was a nice old man!

To Top our whole experience off, we have a major concern about the fact that Geoffrey came into our unit while we were out in Wollongong for the day! When we left we pulled the thick curtains closed all the way and also closed the screen door after locking the main door. My Husband had 2 expensive laptops inside, so we didn't want to take any chances. But upon returning to the unit, the screen door was all the way open and the thick curtains pulled half open! Only the glass door had been re-locked. Nothing inside had been replenished either (towels, soap, toilet paper, food etc.) so I am unsure as too why the old fella even entered our unit? By this time it was late on Saturday and we desperately wanted to leave, but were unable to get accommodation elsewhere at such short notice. So we stayed the extra night but felt very uncomfortable, didn’t get much sleep and got the hell outta there the next morning, well before check out time. Upon Leaving, we really felt like we needed a shower, so we went down the beach to scrub off a bit.

As a young couple with a huge mortgage and health problems, we only get away for 2 days a year. So to have this experience kept in our minds till we can afford to go elsewhere, is the most disappointing thing of all!

If you have a voucher and haven’t used it, don’t risk it! Get in touch with Living Social. I have a feeling they’ve had a few complaints about this place and I don’t think ours will be their last!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Wagon Wheels Country Retreat

Been to Wagon Wheels Country Retreat? Share your experiences!