“An escape from the rain” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Cairns, Australia
“An escape from the rain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We visited for lunch when passing through Westport on our way to Nelson. It was absolutely pouring rain when we stopped in, so the yellow house provided a nice warm escape from the weather.

The menu was quite limited and the food took quite a while to arrive, as it was made fresh in the open kitchen. The portion size was small from the price, but was fairly tasty.

The owner was very friendly and talked a lot about her baking. A nice feature of the restaurant was the butchers paper table clothes and bucket of coloured pencils - doodling was a good way to pass time while waiting for a meal.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
bubbaWestCoast, Owner at Yellow House Cafe and Restaurant, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thank you for your review, some helpful comments.

59% Recommend
Westport, New Zealand
“Handy little cafe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I have been only once, the food was average, so I did not see a need to return.

Visited June 2011
bubbaWestCoast, Owner at Yellow House Cafe and Restaurant, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Thank you for your comment, we do hope you might give us another chance.
Christchurch, New Zealand
“not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

worst cafe/restaurant my family have been to and we have travel around the world to many places... totally agree with Lezwopeaks... when at the end of the evening a problem around pricing came up the owner was rude the poor staff only beinging teenagers, i wonder why the owner said she cant get anyone older staff to work for her..

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
This review is very unfair since you had no contacted with me until the end of a very lovely evening had by all at the 80th Birthday Party. The food was so delicious that everyone went to the buffet until it was completely eaten. So saying we are the worst restaurant was odd, since the guest of honour told us she had a great time and really appreciated the hospitality.
As for the price, we charged what was original told to the host. I was not rude I was trying to explain the situation but you did not want to listen.
What we said about older staff is they leave town for other opportunities not because they did not like working for us.
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
“Worth the wait”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Called into the Yellow Cafe about 1pm, for a quick nibble, on a drizzly West Coast day. The restaurant was packed, which is always a good sign, After a 40 minute wait for 2 hot choc's and a piece of carrot cake ,we were exceptionally happy, the carrot cake was divine, and the icing amazing! Were planning on going back for a meal however ran out of time! :(

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
bubbaWestCoast, Owner at Yellow House Cafe and Restaurant, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Thank you for the positive words, love making the carrot cake and happy people enjoy.
Sydney
“She really should find a job she likes...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

We happened upon the Yellow House Cafe when we passed through Westport. The food was quite delicious. However, the experience was ruined by the grumpy server, who I assume is also the owner. She was such a miserable person that I would have felt bad for her if she inspired any sympathy. If she hates her job so much, she should find another one. She clearly doesn't want your business, so I recommend skipping this place.

Visited February 2012
bubbaWestCoast, Owner at Yellow House Cafe and Restaurant, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Thank you for your comments, I would like to say that I do enjoy cooking delicious food for people. I wake up every morning happy and ready to get into the restaurant which I work seven days a week by the way. I look forward to baking my tasty cakes, coming up with new meal ideas and meeting intersting people from all over the world. All I ever have wanted to do was give people fresh healthy meals and make a living doing what I have loved all my life.

What I do not like about this business is how customers forget that everyone is human and cannot always be perfect. I actually do not like waiting on tables and having to deal with folks wanting everything for free, such as my wireless, power, toilet paper, room spray, newspapers and magazines. Guest who do not have patience when waiting on the code for my wireless when the restaurant is busy and only one working. Guest who yell at me because they cannot bring their dog on my property, unable to smoke where they want, unable to plug their computer in to charge, use my wireless for free all day, bring their rubbish to dump in my garbage bins, bring their own food and the list goes on. These many things ruin my experience of having a happy restaurant on many occasions.
So yes, I can be grumpy sometimes. The sad thing is there are hundreds of people how have come here, eaten and loved it. There are also hundreds who have comeback months or years later because the experience was awesome. The one thing that made it even better for them is I remember who they where..
Westport is a difficult place to find staff and most do not remain in town for long. The staff I am able to hire go to high school and can only work nights and weekends. Most days shifts, I work on my own. So again, I may have seemed grumpy to you but I was probably was just busy trying keep up with everyone else's needs too. I was doing all the cooking, coffee making, serving, table clearing and till running. I was doing my best to keep up and giving it my all so everyone got a delicious meal.
I do plan on leaving the business and I feel for those customers who love my food and experience. Because it is folks who bring negative to my restaurant that have finally won and made me lose the passion for what I love most in this world, cooking delicious food made with love!!!!