“Warm log fire, cosy, friendly and fantastic location.” 5 of 5 stars

Bazil's Hostel
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   54 / 56 Russell St, Westport, New Zealand   |
Special Offer
Free surf lesson
“Warm log fire, cosy, friendly and fantastic location.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant hostel, laid back, allocated our rooms and then went to pay after we had settled in. Lovely big kitchen with lots of cutlery. It was cosy and warm when we arrived with a log fire burning in the living room, where we watched one of the hundreds of films they have on offer. Definately recommended stop if you have the opportunity.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Westport, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

i stayed in Bazils like 3 months, i felt like i'm home there.
I love the kitchens n there r heaps of spaces to relax, to chat or hv drinks with friends.
but the most importnat is the staffs, they r so friendly, helpful, take care of me vy well.
when i travelled in NZ n came back to Bazils after one month, the first sentece i heard is "welcome home!", this was so sweet
just stay there, n u will know!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Wanaka, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was travelling solo. I stayed one night and felt right at home. The feeling is relaxed and the services cozy. Bazil was a really good guy. I'll stay there again in the future cause I live in the Otago area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Bazils hostel was an actual lifesaver after escaping a dodgey wwoofing place. The bedroom was large and comfortable and the living room with a log burner and a million videos to keep you company couldnt be more cosy. The staff were fantastic and incredibly helpful - they posted my wwalking boots to me when I stupidly left them behind - legends!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed for only one night the day we came off the Heaphy, but had such a relaxing, comfortable time that, months later, we both swore that we'd stayed three times as long. The staff are friendly and laid back but will go out of their way to make sure you have a great time in Westport, whatever that means for you. Really an exceptionally comfortable hostel experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shetland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here for a week in January because there was a storm coming and we didn't want to camp, had such an awesome time that I came back in March and stayed for a month!

Westport may seem a little quiet but there's absolutely no reason to get bored whilst you're here as the guys have plenty of local knowledge and enthusiasm for what's around. I had some lovely walks around the Seal colony and the amazing Charming Creek, got some good tips on really nice trails to run in the town. Also managed to fit in some mountain biking and kayaking, all organised by the hostel. The main thing I'd gone back for was to try to learn a bit of surfing and Bazil's definitely helped me out there! There were opportunities for lessons and if there was a bus going out with a free space I could go and practice myself.

I stayed in different rooms during my 2 stays, both times the rooms were clean and the beds super comfy. Never had any problems with the bathroom facilities being busy or unclean and the kitchens had plenty of pans and plates. There's lots of different areas where people can gather (2 kitchens, garden areas, separate lounges, BBQ area) so you could find your own space when you needed it but it was really easy to get chatting to others when you wanted to. My favourite places were the main lounge with the wood fire for hanging out in the evenings or on rainy days (there's also a new and shiny cinema the next street over) and the garden/deck for relaxing in the sunshine.

Loved it here and would definitely visit again if I'm in New Zealand.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at Bazils Hostel from the moment we checked in until we said our goodbyes this morning. Fantastic facilities and cosy surroundings were enhanced by awesome tunes and friendly staff. Our room was clean and comfortable and the kitchen is superbly appointed. There is a cosy lounge and a great garden.

I would definitely stay there again. I had a great night singing with a local band and partying with the friendly locals of Westport.

Thanks to Bazil Statham and the crew. See you again soon!!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Bazil's Hostel? Share your experiences!