“Perfect trekking in great scenery” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$1,426*
and up
3-Day Hollyford Track Guided Walk with Scenic...
Ranked #4 of 10 Attractions in Te Anau
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Scenic/ Historic Walking Areas, Hiking Trails, Trails, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the spectacular Fiordland National Park the dramatic Hollyford Track is one of the greatest guided walks in New Zealand. Three Day Hollyford Track Guided Nature Walk In this 3 Day / 2 Night all inclusive guided wilderness experience you will be transported from the wilderness to the sea. Traversing the Hollyford Valley by foot, jetboat and finally helicopter. Your expert and passionate guides will bring to life the diversity of landscape, vegetation and wildlife, sharing captivating stories of early Maori and Pioneering families. Our small intimate group size ensures a more personal service, in our comfortable private lodges where first rate cuisine and fine wines are served. The trip concludes with a helicopter flight into Milford Sound before returning you to Queenstown.
Engadin
27 attraction reviews
“Perfect trekking in great scenery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

One of the best treks we made in New Zealand. Less crowed than other but with heaps of black flies.....

Visited November 2011

Auckland, NZ
“Hollyford Tranquility!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

Just came back from doing the Hollyford Track. Didn't rough it this time (Abel Tasman a couple of years back with kids - 4 families) carrying all our gear incl. sleeping, cooking equipment & food and staying in the doc huts - see separate review. This was a couples only and our 6 were part of an overall group of 16. Struck fantastic weather - no rain at all the three days of the walk. First day about 17kms - you carry your gear for the next two days walking and the two nights. You don't need much - I took 2x change walking gear (next time would only take 1 set as drying rooms if you got wet) and v. casual at night - track pants, t shirt and jacket - wore the same each night. That's all you need, plus your toothbrush & toothpaste (shampoo & soap provided) & your rain jacket and water bottle. Our guides - Mike & Graeme were fantastic. Great sense of humour and obvious passion & enthusiasm for their jobs. Our hosts at both lodges (Pike River & McKenzie) were awesome and the food was well beyond my expectation. Accommodation comfortable and warm. All in all a fab trip - great company & great wine & food.! The fixed wing flight back to Milford Sound at the end on a beautiful clear day topped it all off. From a fitness level - very easy track to walk - and there was no pressure to keep up with others who were wanting to go faster - there was always a guide at the back. I loved the fact we came across no-one else on the track in the 3 days we walked it other than day 2 - and came across two DOC workers on the track. That is what has put me off Milford Sound - groups of 50 or so (!) and many companies who take that many in a group. Probably depends what time of year you go but not my cup of tea to be stumbing across numerous dozens of others!

Visited November 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
“An experience of a lifetime!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

It's taken me a while to get round to doing this review and if anything that has sharpened my experience. Whenever anyone asks me about it I grin from ear to ear with all the great memories. As with anyything, There are some likes and dislikes. First up the likes!
LIKES:
The guides (incredibly knowledgeable), the lodge hosts, the lodges, the food (worth the walk), the history, the changing environments (forest through to sand dunes), the jet boat rides, the isolation, the roaring moose, the small group and the plane ride into Milford Sound.
DISLIKES:
I found Day 1 hard. Not only is it the day where you walk the longest distance but if you are leaving from Queenstown you get picked up at approx 6:30am. With the travel to the start of the track and the stops along the way, you may not get to start walking until 12pm - which could be for 6 hrs. My recommendation would be to start in Te Anau. Pick-up there is about 9am - a bit more civilised! Also make sure you have a good breakfast before you leave as you will need it for the walk.
And as marvellous as the lodges are, I didn't realise the twin share rooms were in bunks. They are nice bunks, not the normal narrow tramping hut style, but bunks nonetheless. I would have appreciated a comment on the website about them.
The 3rd day walk starts off spectactularly with almost moon-like sand dunes. But once you finish visiting the settlements and get onto the beach, the walk gets very monotonous as it is literally straight along the beach for what seems like hours.

And I would do it again!

Visited April 2011
New York, NY
4 attraction reviews
“Everything we hoped for and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I signed up for the Hollyford Track with another couple at the suggestion of our travel agent. We really had no idea what to expect other than that we'd be in the wilderness for three days and that it might rain. What we got was so much more. There is such a romanticism to the Hollyford that really came through during our trip. It's the opposite of a touristy ride to Milford Sound - staying in the lodges and hiking through the valley provided an intimate experience, yet our meals were first-class and the facilities were not in the least bit lacking. The best part though was our guide Mike - he was so knowledgeable had a true passion for the history of the area. All of the staff was professional and friendly - we will rave about this trip for years to come.

Visited October 2011
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Incredible time on the Hollyford Track!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

My partner and I took the Hollyford Track Guided Tour over the long weekend and we cant speak highly enough of the experience! The guiding on tour (provided by Mike and Graeme) was excellent and added a huge amount of value to the trip - extensive knowledge of the flora, fauna, geology and social history of the areas that we hiked through, delivered in bite-sized pieces with a lot of humour - fantastic. The lodges were incredible - amazing to find such luxury in the middle of the bush, and a very welcome sight at the end of a long tramp. The food was equally amazing: venison, whitebait patties and hot smoked salmon . . . Would highly recommend this trip to anyone interested New Zealand's natural and cultural history.

Visited October 2011