“Great hotel in great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas

Save Saved
You added Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas to your Saves list
Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   64 Lakefront Drive, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park 9681, New Zealand   |
Ranked #16 of 24 hotels in Te Anau
Gandia, Spain
“Great hotel in great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Distinction has recently been totally renovated and has benefitted greatly from the experience. It is extremely well situated on the side of Lake Te Anau and is a very pleasant stop along the way. The room size was excellent and the food also excellent. Surprisingly there is also a spa, sauna and heated swimming pool. Altogether an excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Dear Bill T

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel and found the facilities conducive to your stay. I agree we are a very pleasant stop on the way to Milford sound and there are many exciting excursions to do in Te Anau, so well worth the stop.

341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

The heater was not even producing heat and it was making loud banging sound every 1 hour.Besides that the bed sheets were not white but yellowish.If it was not because of the snow storm,I would have driven back to queenstown.overall it was not the best experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Benjamin W
I am disappointed to hear the heater was not producing heat in your room and wish you had let us know so we had an opportunity to either fix it or offer an alternate solution to the issue. I hope this did not impact your experience of Fiordland. As you can appreciate in hotels sometimes equipment does need repair and we do strive to ensure at all times that we are checking rooms to ensure our standards are maintained. I am sorry you felt the sheets were off white and take these comments on board to ensure our standards are maintained at all times and all our guests leave the hotel recommending us. I would really enjoy the opportunity to speak to you regarding your stay and would appreciate if you would not mind if I made contact with you to discuss further. Please feel free to send me details should you wish to get in touch and once again I apologise we did not meet your expectations for your stay in Te Anau.
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was a walk-in booking during the shoulder season and a great value. My friend and I stayed in a newly renovated standard double room and it was really nice - comparable to that of a Hilton or Marriott. The bar was really nice and it had free wifi in the bar and lounge area. We had to check out super early to get up to Milford sound for a cruise but they let us come back and hang out in the bar all afternoon using the wifi and relaxing. When I thought I had lost something in the room they let me return to the room and search it myself even after their house keeping crew didn't find anything. Definitely a great place to stay if you're looking for a more comfortable/classy hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear James
Thanks for your review and I am delighted to hear you found the hotel of great value and enjoyed the refurbished rooms. We are blessed to have the best location overlooking Lake Te Anau and are proud of our product, I am pleased to hear you felt the same way. If you are planning another trip we would love to have you return and please get in touch.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at the hotel in one of the villas attached. As we could see the communal areas of the hotel were crisp, neat and modern. The villa, however, was in need of a freshening up and appeared to be a bit forgotten in the hotel complex. The gardens around the villas looked a little unkempt and in need of attention - the swimming pool was of average cleanliness but surrounding area was full of fallen leaves not swept etc and looked a little unloved. The villa itself was clean, reasonable size, but looked as it it was last decorated 15 years ago. Whilst never intended to be a self catering apartment a villa should offer a bit more independence than a hotel suite but even so, the facilities were slim - fridge very small etc. Staff in the hotel were friendly and polite. The location is right on the lake, plenty of parking and the hotel is close to the main street and so very convenient.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kiwi818
Thanks for your comments about the hotel. I am happy to hear you found the communal areas crisp, neat and modern and the staff friendly and polite. I am disappointed to hear you did not enjoy the villas, we are in the process of refurbishing them and take your comments on board and apologise if we did not meet your expectations here. If you are planning another trip please feel free to get in touch and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand and Southland.
Wanaka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We last stayed here in 1974 and although changes have taken place over the years, the overall feel of the hotel is just as great as it was back then. The location is superb and the international staff extremely friendly ; they went beyond the call of duty to ensure we were comfortable and well cared for. We look forward to our next stay in September !

Room Tip: We stayed in an upstairs Lakeview room. The Fiordland views were stunning
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Robert B
I am delighted you returned after such a long time and am very pleased to hear our staff made a lasting impression on you. As discussed if you are returning, please get in touch as we would love to see both of you back again in September.
christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

My partner and I won a nights stay at this hotel as a prize they very kindly donated to our raffle at work. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like stars. We were greeted with "You are our prize winners, we were wondering when you were going to arrive"! From then on, we were treated like VIP's. The hotel staff were extremely efficient, very friendly and helpful.
Our room was upgraded to a Lake view room - which was very well appointed, clean and extremely comfortable. We loved our stay so much, we decided to book in for another night.
We had breakfast the next morning before heading out for a cruise on Doubtful sound. The breakfast was fantastic, good value and had a large selection to choose from.
Both my partner and I had a fantastic time and were treated so well, I cant praise this hotel highly enough and would recommend Distinction Te Anau to everyone!
I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Maxieb
Thank you for your review and I am delighted to hear you had such a memorable stay. I am overjoyed to hear our staff were efficient, friendly and helpful and you found the food fantastic and of good value. If you are returning, please feel free to get in touch and we will ensure your return stay is as memorable as the first.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We spent two nights in a lake view room. All the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the Manager. The receptionist advised on and booked our Milford Sound cruise for us. We booked the winter warmer package, which was very good value. The buffet breakfast was excellent, with a large selection. Dinner was very good both nights. It's a very convenient location and I would recommend the walk alongside the lake to the marina.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear RozR191
Thank you for your kind words and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly and helpful. I am delighted to hear the food suited your tastes and you found our breakfast and dinner options enjoyable.
Hopefully we will see you back again in the future.
Brent Stander

Been to Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas? Share your experiences!