“Terrific accomodations and host, Kevin” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast

Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Anau
Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast
You added Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
228 Milford Rd., Te Anau, Fiordland National Park, New Zealand   |
Ranked #10 of 29 Te Anau B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Stockton, Ca
“Terrific accomodations and host, Kevin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

We stayed 3 nights March 24-26, 2009. It is about a 10 minute walk to the town center. Beautiful gardens out front (Keiko's passion). Our unit was toward the back, very comfortable, nicely furnished, and quiet. The kitchenette was complete, though we hardly used it. The bathroom was large, the shower huge. The bed was a bit soft. Keiko was off visiting family in Japan. Kevin has lived in the Te Anau area for years and his family has been here for several generations. He knows everything! He advised that we stay longer in Te Anau, rather than Queenstown (right on), suggested restaurants in Te Anau, and prepared great breakfasts. He even got up extra early to feed us on our early morning departure for kayaking on Doubtful Sound. At his suggestion we drove the Milford Road, and took a cruise with Mitre Peak Cruises, on a smallish boat. He knows all the tracks and trails. You will not be disappointed with your stay here.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

This was quite a find.... easily the biggest cottage we have had in the NZ entire stay - the little one was very happy having found so much room to crawl around!!

Also the only place to actually provide a full size cot... some relief for the back after bending over on portacots at other places.

The gardens are indeed very beautiful.... I have been told that it's even more beautiful in summer. Kevin and Keiko are excellent hosts - the breakfasts are very hearty too!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

Future potential customers don't deserve the events of last week happening to them, hence I'm writing my first review ever:

Background:
I'm a mechanical engineer, my partner is a school teacher. We had lots of email communication with the owner up to 3 weeks prior to arrival to the bed and breakfast to arrange accomodation and to act as our booking agent for 2 cruises within Fiordland...I also gave him my Gold credit card number to reserve over the phone 3 weeks in advance. We arrived at 8:30pm, a bit late, due to a full itinerary of sight seeing. It turns out, the owner took my credit card number down wrong over the phone. A simple mistake by the owner (which he fails to admit) turned into an evening of hell where he immediately told us that all of our weekend plans were cancelled and that it would be too late at that point to book anything.

For clarification sakes, I'm complaining that the owner had 3 weeks to contact us about the mistaken credit card number, and didn't, and mis-treated both my partner and I upon arrival.
- Upon initial greeting, instead of looking for clarification and possibly reviewing the written credit card number for a mistake, he immediately mentioned how all of our weekend plans/cruises were cancelled... He did not want to figure out what had happened, but was focused on complete negativity.
- He lied to us in saying that our Milford Sound cruise had been cancelled and that they would be all full at that point - Turned out, the Milford Sound cruise was very empty as we saw 2 days later.
- He lied to us in saying that there was no way of getting on the Doubtful Sound cruise, it only had 44 people on it, capacity is 130.
- He lied to us in saying that the booking office would be closed
- I understand that with the wrong number he would be forced to cancel our reservations to protect from fraud, but this could have been avoided had he contacted us via email or phone..he had 3 weeks to clarify.
- He threatened us in saying that he called other B&B's in the area to be on alert for us...like we were thieves!
- He mocked us, in saying that we had stunned looks on our faces after he mentioned all the above. Well after travelling for 2 weeks without a hitch, driving 1600km in 6 days in New Zealand and arriving at night, a stunned look would be the common reaction to that kind of welcoming.
- After completion of our vacation, and spending $7000 in 1 week in New Zealand, I've emailed the owner about the above issues. No apology for the mishap was ever received, in fact he told me to "get a life" and that my "cronies" (friends) would not be welcome if they were "plonkers like you" (lowlifes).

I've never been treated so poorly in all my wonderful life. I'm glad that the wonderful New Zealand scenery made up for this very very bad experience.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
japankiwi, owner at Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 1, 2009
Mr.P seems to be the sort of person that doesnt let the truth get in the way of a good rave.
When it was getting dark and Mr.P failed to appear I entered his credit card details into our terminal - they were rejected!
I cancelled the $520 Doubtful Sound excursion booked for the following morning (normally 24 hours notice is needed but Real Journeys understood my problem) & contacted a friend to see if another B&B had their booking.
When they arrived (they had been to dinner) I explained my dilemma - we were caught 3 or 4 years ago in similar circumstances & it cost us nearly $1000! Being busy I thought that their chances of getting into Doubtful the following day would be slim but was quite happy to try & rebook them but thought that the booking office would be closed at that late hour. Being wrong on both counts is not a lie in NZ! RJ was open, the 8 & 9.30 sailings were full but they had just scheduled an 11.30
Lucky Mr P and his partner shared the excursion with only 40 people instead of 130.
I did not cancel the Milford excursion as there was enough time to do so the following day.
I did not mock them or do or say anything that would make them 'feel like thieves' those feelings would have been completely self inflicted.
Now here's a very strange thing, when Mr. P gave me his credit card I noticed that 2 of the 4 number groups were different to the one's he read (and I repeated back) to me over the phone 0535 was 7535 & 3290 became 2390.
I pointed this out to Mr P but he was adamant that I had made the mistake.
When they left they seemed quite normal and wrote a nice comment in our visitors book 'A very pleasant stay at Keikos Cottages, thank you, D & G.
I was so suprised to get a raving email in a similar vein as the comments above, calling me a liar etc. I was most offended, I put their itinerary back on track so they were not inconvienced in any way.
In my anger, by email I called him a plonker, in NZ the definition of a plonker is an arrogant fool!
Keiko & I work hard to give our guests a good experience and I find it sad that Mr P chose to attack us hiding behind the anonymity of this site, he should have spoken to me face to face like a real man.
By email I suggested to Mr P that he is welcome to return so we can have a good laugh about a very minor issue.
I think Mr P changed his CC details so they could do a 'no show' if they found a better deal, pretty dumb really.
I will now check CC's a few days out, I never, never want a repeat of the nightmare Mr P bought down on us.
Don't let Mr P's comments stop you from staying at Keikos, we are truly good hosts and have the most beautiful gardens in Te Anau - check our website.
Love
Keiko & Kevin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

I stayed in Keiko and Kevin's in-house guest room before and after a tramp on the Kepler Track. Pure luxury - oooh, the bed - plus honest hospitality and help with further travel plans (Kevin used to work for the NZ Dept. of Conservation). I left my rental car and non-tramping stuff at their place and was welcomed when I arrived at only 11 am on my scheduled return day, soaking wet and muddy.

This would not be an ideal place to stay if you don't have a car, but then again, you're in Fiordland to walk, right? Plus, Kevin regularly drives guests to their adventure start points.

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
japankiwi, Owner at Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 5, 2009
Thank's April, a small correction, I worked as a Milford Track guide not DoC.
Kevin
newcastle upon tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We arrived in rain but that didn't dampen our spirits! We were delighted with the cottage, very clean, smart and fresh. Well equipped, too. The flowers were such a pleasure, we had our own little garden and it was a haven of peace.
Kevin is very sociable and Keiko has got a good sense of humour. We stayed 2 nights and Keikos features strongly in our holiday memories. we borrowed 2 bikes, Kevin kindly adjusted the saddle and we cycled round the lake. It really couldn't be bettered!
Te Anau is well worth at least 2 -3 nights, it is a lovely town in itself, not just a gateway to the Sounds. The Fat Duck was excellent for meals.
Beware the police cathcing speeding cars just outside Keikos!

• Liked — the gardens
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

Sometimes on a trip you happen upon a real jewel.

Keiko's was more than a place to stay; it was a highlight of the trip.

Unlike another reviewer, we found the host delightful. Kevin is extraordinarily knowledgeable about hiking in the area so if, like us, you're hikers, be sure to ask him for recommendations. We loved his stories about guiding on the Milford Track. Both he and Keiko went out of their way to make sure we felt at home.

The cottage was very comfortable and, like most places we stayed in New Zealand, very clean. Keiko's flowers are stunning.

We tried the Japanese breakfast and found it lovely but the Continental breakfast is so delicious, with homemade bread and a lovely yoghurt, that if we visit again, we'll stick with that.

The location is good -- a short 5 minute walk from the city center so we were easily able to walk in for dinner, which was very nice after spending so much time in the car. Another time I might cook in the cottage since the small kitchen seemed to be very well equipped.

We had only a few minor quibbles: no soap in the shower (and I'm sure they would have supplied some if I'd remembered to ask but shampoo worked just as well) and the heater in the bathroom didn't work (I also forgot to mention that to Kevin). Other than those two small items, it was a perfect stay with lovely people and we'd go out of our way to stay there again if we're ever lucky enough to make a second trip to New Zealand.

• Liked — the hosts
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

We had the studio unit, however it was a large unit with lounge and full kitchen set at the back of the property surrounded with beautiful gardens. The B&B is away from the waterfront on the road to Milford, however it was still a very quiet location and only a few minutes drive from the centre of town.

Kevin, the host, was very helpful and suggested trips when we first booked. He was able to rearrang things for us when we realised we had more time to explore the area and was also able to suggest places suitable for us to visit and to walk.

Breakfast could be slow but was sociabe and Kevin lkes to chat to his guests. Early breakfasts could be arranged and breakfast did stop at 8.30 (we had to arrange our breakfast time the day before). In retrospect we probably would have been better self catering, but it was nice to chat. Keiko provided a packed lunch for another couple and even did so for the next day when they were stayng at another property.

• Liked — gardens and tranquility
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!