“Wonderful setting” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fiordland Lodge

You added Fiordland Lodge to your Saves list
Fiordland Lodge
5.0 of 5 Lodge   |   472 Te Anau Milford Highway, Te Anau, Fiordland National Park SD 9681, New Zealand   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Wiltshire
“Wonderful setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed one night and wished it could have been longer. We were in a cabin which was very well appointed. Dinner in the main lodge was delicious and all the staff very friendly and attentive. After a good nights sleep we strolled over to the restaurant for breakfast. There was plenty of choice and it was beautifully cooked. Would thoroughly recommend this lodge, the views over the lake are truly breathtaking, and after a full day driving to Milford Sound we were really happy to be able to relax in this haven of peacefulness.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I stumbled upon this lodge in the middle of a three week camping/hiking trip through the south island of New Zealand. We were tired, hungry and desperately in need of a soak in a luxurious tub. We opted for one of the cabins and it was delightful. Cozy warm and beautiful tub. Their dining room was supposed to be closed that evening but the owner called his chef and he came in to prepare us a delightful meal. Nothing on the menu, just what he wanted to cook and it was delicious. We really felt like the owners went out of their way to take care of us. We would happily stay there again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
itinerant doctor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I arrive intending to stay in a log cabin. I was urged to have a lodge room instead. The room was small and dated with no coffee or teamaking facilities. I felt closed in and there was no outdoor seating area. I went in search of tea and was served in the lounge area with thick low end cafe quality china. The tea was in bags in the teapot! I insisted on the log cabin I had booked and it arranged fo me to move there. This was peaceful and comfortable. There was no milk in the fridge and when I asked a small jug was given to me to carry back. In NZ it is unusual to find a Lodge short of milk. I proceeded to dinner where I was obviously a second class guest because I was alone. I was asked if I wanted sparkling or plain water for the table. I chose sparking which was poured. I never saw it again but it cost me $18 extra. An expensive lesson. The wine list was hveryexensive and not representative of our best wines from the region. The food when it finally arrived was acceptable apart from the cheese which came from France.Why would you serve mediocre French cheese when we have so many great cheeses to choose from nearby.
I retired to my cabin VERY disappointed. The final straw was finding no black tea of any kind for after dinner. The next morning at breakfast was ignored for 5 mins and eventually sat at a spare tablt. They continued to ignore me. My tea was in a vey thick normal sized teapot but had only one teabag. I spent some time trying to get the eye of the waitress who studiously ignored me and repaced the disgusting tea. I left to fly up Titiroa which was a fantastic experience. I have stayed in lodges all over this wonderful country of ours and overseas and I am ashamed at how bad this lodge is. A pretty view does not in any way give you the right to run a secnd rate establishment. YOU ARE LETTING ALL NEW ZEALANDERS DOWN $ 830 was a rip off!

Room Tip: The only rooms providing privacy and peace are the two log cabins. The had not been preparzed for my...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Andy C, Manager at Fiordland Lodge, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
We were most aggrieved to learn your recent stay at the lodge was compromised by a few unfortunate faults ~ Attention to detail and friendly, attentive service are amongst the salient positive impressions for our guests and service and guest comfort is of paramount importance to the team and management at Fiordland Lodge.

At Fiordland Lodge we encourage past guests to post reviews to this valuable platform, we’re of course pleased that the vast majority of our reviews are outstandingly positive, and acknowledge of course that a few will not be. This constructive criticism is highly valued, as it is our aim that every guest should have an unforgettably great experience at Fiordland Lodge.

In relation to your comments, our log cabins are our starting price point (at $540 single occupancy not $830 as stated) and only when we have lodge rooms available we happily offer the complimentary upgrade to the main lodge. This is simply a goodwill gesture there is certainly no pressure to take the upgrade, we are simply offering you another alternative. “Some guests like the privacy, character and stand alone log cabins where some guests do prefer to be in the main lodge with the more commanding views”.

Tea and coffee making facilities including a unique variety of herbal teas called tea cubes are in every room in the main cabinet and we apologize if this was not pointed out to you upon your arrival and famil of the property. The main lounge is a feature of the lodge and morning and afternoon teas as well as baking are served throughout the day complimentary. We also promote from the compendiums ringing us from your room should you crave that special espresso coffee fix.

Our wine list not being representative of the region? Part of the dining experience here is enjoying the best in New Zealand cuisine and wines. We pride ourselves in introducing our guests to the flavours of the Central Otago Pinot Noir wine country as Central Otago is renowned for producing world class Burgundy. We currently list 10 local pinot noirs and have a wide range of other local varietals in many unique and different styles. Still or sparkling mineral water called Antipodes is offered in a 1 litre bottle priced at $11.50 per bottle but the other alternative on offer at no charge is filtered tap water which is spring fed and 100% pure.

Thanks for the positive comment in relation to the food, local New Zealand cheese does feature very predominantly on our daily changing menu. The only international cheese we do feature which was served on the evening of your visit is Ossau Iraty from France “we think it is a very worthy addition to our extensive cheese selection".

We strive to both anticipate and quickly respond to all guest needs and please accept our thanks for your feedback, which will be carefully considered by our team.
Weston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is a fine lodge with a great staff. Ron is one of the best guides I have ever met. The lodge is beautiful. The food is first rate. The location is spectacular. We fished on the Whitestone and caught some nice Rainbows. There were many trophy fish that we saw but it is challenging. The river between the two lakes hold nice Brown Trout. It is easily accessed by Ron's jet boat.The other guests stay there for a variety of reasons. All seemed to be pleasant and interesting. This lodge is on our list for a return.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Always a punt booking a hotel on the internet without reading reviews but this hotel was great. Yes, it is a little dated but it was very clean, great service and a good location. The bed linen was clean, fresh and of high quality. Great base to take in the fiordlands!

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Fiordland Lodge - we LOVED it!! the view! the service! the food! the lodge feel! The managers and the staff are so friendly, very helpful - and just create a welcoming & cozy experience! Then - the food is spectacular!! truly! It is some of the best food I have had - breakfast and dinner. And after a day of hiking - yes please! I am hungry right now thinking about the meals we had... all that while in a cozy dining room with a view to rival any! And the location of the lodge is just perfect - within striking distance of the great Milford and Doubtful Sounds, amazing hikes, etc! Love this area! The only downside is that it is expensive (and the bed wasn't extra cozy - it was just fine), but if you can afford it - well worth it. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Being a lodge, you pay the penalty, but unless you are a family staying in one of the 2 cabins offered, the price for the cabin is a lot. Service is exemplary wherever you stay and meals which are included are top notch. Breakfast was a sensory delight. Sitting in the main area of the lodge is wonderful as the view changes every minute, sometimes disappearing behind clouds. On a clear day, just sitting and watching with a fine wine is just superb.
I think all the lodges command a high price and this is one of the more affordable in the group.Well worth a couple of night's stay but i did not noticevwhen booking, that the bed in cabin was less than a queen and even though i could choose another 3 singles in the loft, i decided to stay in double with a lousy night's sleep!!!

Room Tip: Get a room not a cabin unless with family and then get larger one. check bed size....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Andy C, Manager at Fiordland Lodge, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us. You have highlighted many of the wonderful features such as the food, location, staff and views that make Fiordland Lodge a very special place to stay.

As you mentioned the main lounge and restaurant share amazing views over Lake Te Anau with a back drop of the Murchison and Kepler mountains. You can actually just relax in an easy chair and watch the weather roll in and out..."it is an ever changing view".

We are delighted to receive this great feedback and look forward to welcoming you and back in the future.

A tip for readers: Our log cabins are set back about 150 meters from the main lodge and don't share the same commanding lake views as the main lodge. Very popular with honeymooners as they are stand alone buildings and very private. Due to the size of the log cabin bedrooms both have queen size beds in them downstairs and single beds on a mezzanine floor above.

Been to Fiordland Lodge? Share your experiences!